• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
Has anyone ever found anything good in the junk heap? I tried a few times but didn't seem worth the trip

it is a trash pile after all so I guess that makes sense

The Awesomest

Mar 3, 2018
AAUUGH I stupidly positioned someone right next to Metodey in chapter 5, after breaking him and positioning Yuri right next to the chest. Me today attacked and killed himself RIGHT before I could open the chest, ending the chapter.

What was in that chest?

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Finished the DLC and going back through the game now and because the Ashen Wolves stuff is glossed over in the main campaign it just feels like most of this game has: A lot of missed potential.

Not having Jeralt at all in the DLC was a HUGE effing mistake, especially given the characters it deals with. Why do we have ALOIS of all people but not Jeralt??

The story muddies the water for Rhea/Jeralt/Byleth's relationship up to that point (around Chapter 4) and makes it where revelations in the main story kind of make no sense. On the one hand the plot of Byleth's background has always been mind numbingly/stupidly convuluted, but the DLC throws gasoline on the fire for trying to make sense of it and makes the whole shady "What's Byleth's age" thing even more dumb.

The last map was padded as hell and I have come to the decision that I just hate "boss fights" and the umbral beast mechanic in Fire Emblem. Their armor and counter anywhere mechanics are just mind numbingly dull and just stretch out what should be a simple map instead of putting strategic placement of party members in play. There were some solid maps but mostly everything revolved around "SEND IN REINFORCEMENTS. NOW KEEP SENDING THEM"

The character writing was decent enough like always but the plot to begin with was "secret basement school" so I knew not to expect much, but it really made the main story look sillier too, especially when they gloss over the events. I hope the next FE pulls it together. There was so much potential with this game and its DLC.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
When is the best time to recruit the Ashen Wolves?

Right now they are level 19 when recruited. Should I wait until they are level 20?

The Awesomest

Mar 3, 2018
Um. How do I beat the boss in chapter 6? Magic is ineffective. Gambits can't hit. Ruptured Heaven and Eviscerate can hurt him, but will result in dying on the next turn. The only safe attacks are bow arts, which he recovers from. How is this possible?

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Um. How do I beat the boss in chapter 6? Magic is ineffective. Gambits can't hit. Ruptured Heaven and Eviscerate can hurt him, but will result in dying on the next turn. The only safe attacks are bow arts, which he recovers from. How is this possible?

Did you

Place 4 units on the vortices to deactivate them? You can't hurt the boss until you do that.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I just slapped the boss with a retributioned byleth.
Meteor couldn't oneshot Byleth.
Healed her to full on each player turn.
This was on hard, can none of your units touch the boss?
Did you do the other goal first? If you didn't then the boss is invincible.

The Awesomest

Mar 3, 2018
Did you

Place 4 units on the vortices to deactivate them? You can't hurt the boss until you do that.
Yup,
already took care of that. Wasn't about to mess with 99 Def and Res.

I just slapped the boss with a retributioned byleth.
Meteor couldn't oneshot Byleth.
Healed her to full on each player turn.
This was on hard, can none of your units touch the boss?
Did you do the other goal first? If you didn't then the boss is invincible.
I did the other goal. He's mortal now. I used up Retribution taking out the Bolting guys :(

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Yup,

Hmm, that's odd then. What I did was use a Gambit with Dimitri and then had Byleth attack with a Killing Edge. I believe the boss has a skill that stays on him that boosts his stats if you hit him with magic, so don't do that. Dimitri and Byleth should be able to damage him and live, even if barely.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Yup,

I did the other goal. He's mortal now. I used up Retribution taking out the Bolting guys :(
Then I would say the next step would be waste the bosses meteors before stepping in.
Beyond that, if you don't have a single character that can tank at least a single bolganone then you have a considerable problem.
I think Constance (best girl) can rally res, please keep that in mind.

Last edited:

The Awesomest

Mar 3, 2018
Hmm, that's odd then. What I did was use a Gambit with Dimitri and then had Byleth attack with a Killing Edge. I believe the boss has a skill that stays on him that boosts his stats if you hit him with magic, so don't do that. Dimitri and Byleth should be able to damage him and live, even if barely.
Does Group Flames count as a magic attack? Because that's the highest hit% gambit I have at 65%.
Then I would say the next step would be waste the bosses meteors before stepping in.
Beyond that, if you don't have a single character that can tank at least a single bolganone then you have a considerable problem.
I think Constance can rally res, please keep that in mind.
Oh, I definitely already wasted his Meteors, now everyone is just gathered around him in a stalemate.

If Group Flames backfires, I think I'm going to try some trading shenanigans with Yuri's Relic to attempt some hit-and-run tactics.

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017
Finished the DLC a week ago. I had a lot of fun time with it!

It really delivered on the difficulty and strategy aspect. Having a defined set of units with their roles in battles and knowing how to deal with reinforcements was challenging and fun, especially during chapter 4. This is also like the first real time I made use of Divine Pulses carefully (and got game overs too lol), gambits, refined weapons, vulneraries and abilities in order to come out on top during these battles. Felt so good! My Dimitri and Ashe shined the most, next would be Claude and Hilda and finally Byleth for Chapter 6.

Regarding the story, while a bit predictable and kinda rushed in some aspects I still enjoyed it and especially the characters. Love the Ashen Wolves and can't wait to use them in battle and see their supports with the cast. I liked the lords' interactions in this too, and love the fact that two of my faves, Ashe and Hilda, were part of this journey (I do wish they interacted among themselves and with Linhardt tho).

I'll definitely replay this in the future, maybe after finishing my next main game route.

Last edited:

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
Jeralt should have showed up.

The banned books are fascinating
Stuff from the Agarthan perspective, the Elites, Loog being supported by the Agarthans, the Church suppressing stuff like oil and printing, and raunchy Wilhelm/Seiros fanfic? Oh, and Seteth removing stuff to shield Flayn's innocent eyes. Nice lore.

Jun 8, 2019
A few thoughts after letting this sink in a little further, and replaying White Clouds with all the DLC:

I legit think Cindered Shadows is the best campaign Fire Emblem has ever done. The difficulty balance is perfect, forcing you to stretch your forces, take advantage of every system, and use the Divine Pulse as judiciously as possible. Compared the the madness of Radiant Dawn or Conquest hard, the balance is much better it pushes you incredibly hard while still feeling fair and every map is satisfying without feeling overwhelming.

The Hapi/Balthus paralogue is the best map in the main game. Absolute chaos.

The Shackled Wolves is the best track in the game.

Constance has the best support conversations in the game by far.

I'm doing Crimson Flower now and am so happy I waited. With the Ashen Wolves and the other DLC characters, it feels different enough to be worth the extra playthrough,

The only question now is whether I'll ever get around to doing a fresh run in Maddening to do Silver Snow...maybe next year.

R.D.Blax

Oct 26, 2017
So after finishing the DLC, I continued my new game playthrough I started a few month ago. But for some reason after recruiting Hapi and Constance, they are already at C support, and skip straight to B support. Is that supposed to be normal ? I can't even see the support in the extra

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Is the DLC canon?

After finishing the DLC and recruiting them in the main story, their interactions don't quite fit with the DLC story.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Boy, took me around 4 hours to beat the 4th map, it was gratifying to beat that escape, after 100 hours of playing the main game it sas the first time that I felt that I had to use every single mechanic in the game and that every movement counted

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Beat this earlier today. It was pretty good. I didn't like the overuse of ambushes and infinite spawning enemies in some of the maps. But overall I liked the new characters and it was a short and sweet adventure.

I liken this to an anime movie that takes place between two seasons and it's canon in the continuity is questionable. You think maybe not but then a movie only character makes a cameo in the main plot and now you're not so sure.

Now to finish up my Blue Lions playthrough. Unfortunately, it's past the time skip so I can't get the new characters. But I'll definitely get them during my Golden Deer playthrough.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Concept: Golden Path DLC except it can only be played on Hard/Classic or Maddening/Classic and leaves you without the ability to use Divine Pulse.

You want a happy ending? Earn it.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
That final fight definitely had me sweatin' with the combined position swapping and all party damage. Eventually had to keep 2/3rds of my party back to heal and fight the phantoms. Dimitri, Byleth and Balthus were my main damage output, with the occasional help from Hilda and Edelgard when they weren't missing hits at an annoying rate.
Balthus the Mighty Himbo was the MVP of that fight. ❤️

Anyways, really enjoyed the DLC, mainly for the world building, lore and new map variety.

Although now I'm salty that I've lost the chance to recruit the Ashen Wolves in the main game due to my last save being the end of part 1.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I've been picking away at this on Hard mode and it's taken way longer than I thought.

One thought:

Hapi's voice actor is totally just reading lines from a scrap of paper for the first time ever, right? It's Mega Man 8 caliber voice acting.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
I've been picking away at this on Hard mode and it's taken way longer than I thought.

One thought:

Hapi's voice actor is totally just reading lines from a scrap of paper for the first time ever, right? It's Mega Man 8 caliber voice acting.

Pretty much what I thought. There's absolutely no emotion to her delivery and it's the worst voice acting by a mile.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Boy, took me around 4 hours to beat the 4th map, it was gratifying to beat that escape, after 100 hours of playing the main game it sas the first time that I felt that I had to use every single mechanic in the game and that every movement counted

I totally cheesed that level. I figured out what certain trigger points were so I was able to avoid or preempt a lot of the enemies that spawned in.

Oni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like Hapi's voice acting. Especially when I compare her to the ridiculously over the top Constance. Or Ashe which is probably the most irritating voice I've ever heard in a video game.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I kind of like some of Hapi's voice acting.

"Didn't you know -- I'm Dangerous"

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone tried to build aura knuckles war monk Constance in the main campaign? Thinking of trying it, not really sure what else to do with war monk.

Oct 27, 2017
Yuri is a really fun character to play with, and he was incredibly useful in chapters 3 and 4. I'm having a blast with Cindered Shadows so far and I wouldn't mind the next FE to be more CS rather than the main game (which - while good - was bloated with unnecessary features IMHO).

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Huh. I enjoyed that.
I only beat Cindered Shadows on normal but I guess I need the game to protect me from myself by limiting my options cause if I'm given the chance to train Lysitheia in swords, I will. The scarp heap being the only place to find blue shinies and the game alerting you when you've talked to everyone in the Abyss were handy too since I would resentfully comb every area of the monastery each month in the main game. Just a lot of monotony I don't have to do but will because it's an option.

There was a lot of corridors and terrain so Foul Play really shines and Yuri's relic is a crazy, fun complement to that ability. Hapi's personal skill also had a good showcase though later maps had more of the golems she couldn't hurt.

Knowing it was 7 chapters made me more liberal about using resources I usually horde. I burned through a lot of Combat Artes so the generous Smithing Stone allowance was welcome. Also made me more free with using Relics when I was super stingy about them in the main game. Seeing the game alert me that the Sword of the Creator was repaired for free in some chapters made me use it more often too. It made it feel like a waste not too in a good way!

Wish there was more interaction between the non-Ashen wolves but I guess that's for supports. Will start a run to recruit them in the main game shortly.

Last edited:

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I played around with it. It's a real glass cannon build, Constance is incredibly frail and this setup requires short range combat. It's not worth it on Maddening.
Ah, thanks for the info! That's too bad, sounds like it could be a cute gimmick build but I guess I won't introduce it into my maddening run.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I saved my 3rd and final playthrough, a blue lions run, until after all the dlc was out and I'm so glad I did. All the QoL updates and new maps and options has made it freshing. I like minmaxing my time, so having a ton of renown to spend on skills and support ranks has made it alot of fun. It also helps that Dimitri is alot better than I thought he would be.

Question, do adjuncts gain a bonus to support gain or is it more efficient to clumsily waste turns by making sure my 2 target units leapfrog each other as they attack/engage for points?

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
I saved my 3rd and final playthrough, a blue lions run, until after all the dlc was out and I'm so glad I did. All the QoL updates and new maps and options has made it freshing. I like minmaxing my time, so having a ton of renown to spend on skills and support ranks has made it alot of fun. It also helps that Dimitri is alot better than I thought he would be.

Question, do adjuncts gain a bonus to support gain or is it more efficient to clumsily waste turns by making sure my 2 target units leapfrog each other as they attack/engage for points?
Yes.

Oct 27, 2017
Mission 4 on hard fucking sucks
I miraculously finished it on my first tried with 0 divine pulses left and 0 turns left. Foul Play was very useful.
The scarp heap being the only place to find blue shinies and the game alerting you when you've talked to everyone in the Abyss were handy too since I would resentfully comb every area of the monastery each month in the main game. Just a lot of monotony I don't have to do but will because it's an option.
Yeah, I'm enjoying the Abyss way more than the Monastery because everything is streamlined to the essential. The Monastery was too big for what it had to offer, especially post-time skip.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Constance is so clearly the developer's favorite of the basement dwellers it's not really fair. Her S-support might be the best in the game.

Asks you to marry her, the Gatekeeper shows up, and she's the only one with a unique portrait other than Jeritza, even if it's just the background.

Oct 27, 2017
AAUUGH I stupidly positioned someone right next to Metodey in chapter 5, after breaking him and positioning Yuri right next to the chest. Me today attacked and killed himself RIGHT before I could open the chest, ending the chapter.

What was in that chest?
Just finished that chapter, there was
a silver sword +

The boss was very dumb, I had to sabotage myself to get that chest before he killed himself.

Nymir

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of skipped a lot of chapter 3..am I fucked level-wise?

I went for the middle/right switch after killing the keybearer, my units kind of turtled in the right side with lots of golem showing up, I cleaned up that side but then I pulled the lever thinking the map will continue and it just ended

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of skipped a lot of chapter 3..am I fucked level-wise?

I went for the middle/right switch after killing the keybearer, my units kind of turtled in the right side with lots of golem showing up, I cleaned up that side but then I pulled the lever thinking the map will continue and it just ended

No lol, you'll be fine. The DLC is short enough that you don't have to worry about its finite resources, whether that be EXP or money.