D86kXGaVUAAfj8W

EAVGaTqU8AIXPXs

D1YNihWVsAAUuSQ

Ippei

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Oh shit. Thank you for the spoiler, friend. I just started playing yesterday. Entering this thread was my mistake. I deserve this.
Those were revealed by Nintendo in a trailer, during the E3 direct no less. If it's in a trailer it's really not a spoiler honestly.
But yeah, if you want to be completely blind then you probably shouldn't be browsing a fan art thread.

edit: just noticed the art is also from before the game even released, so that's drawn from said trailer as well.

Last edited:

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not everyone watches all the trailers for games and movies for that exact reason, we don't want to be spoiled on things that we are already going to play.
Then get off the internet altogether. You can't get mad at people for discussing and making/posting art without spoiler warnings for things marketing has deemed okay.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not everyone watches all the trailers for games and movies for that exact reason, we don't want to be spoiled on things that we are already going to play.

With that logic people wouldn't be able to talk about anything past the initial trailer of media properties, which is dumb. If you want to go on complete blackout that's on you, but it's fair game to talk about if it's been in officially released trailers by the developers.

Meted

Jul 18, 2019
With that logic people wouldn't be able to talk about anything past the initial trailer of media properties, which is dumb. If you want to go on complete blackout that's on you, but it's fair game to talk about if it's been in officially released trailers by the developers.
By that logic if The empire strikes back had the luke/darth vader reveal in the trailer it would be ok to spoil it? BTW i agree that it was on JinFash for going into a thread with fanart and not knowing that he could be spoiled, i just think people are not courteous to others who don't want to be spoiled at all. I wasn't spoiled on the time skip and i knew i was getting 3 housed day one

Meted

Jul 18, 2019
Yes? Because it wouldn't be a spoiler then.
The people who make movie/game trailers are not always the same people who made said movie/game, i'm sure the developers would rather people find out the cool/interesting stuff first hand as it's intended rather than told to the viewer without context

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
By that logic if The empire strikes back had the luke/darth vader reveal in the trailer it would be ok to spoil it? BTW i agree that it was on JinFash for going into a thread with fanart and not knowing that he could be spoiled, i just think people are not courteous to others who don't want to be spoiled at all. I wasn't spoiled on the time skip and i knew i was getting 3 housed day one
Of course it would be okay to spoil that. It wouldn't be a spoiler, it would be something that they're using to get you to see the film.

If it's being marketed, then it isn't a spoiler. If it were, than literally any information about any media ever would count as a spoiler. Spoilers are things that you aren't supposed to know before you begin the media.

Meted

Jul 18, 2019
Of course it would be okay to spoil that. It wouldn't be a spoiler, it would be something that they're using to get you to see the film.

If it's being marketed, then it isn't a spoiler. If it were, than literally any information about any media ever would count as a spoiler. Spoilers are things that you aren't supposed to know before you begin the media.
So if it's not a spoiler what is it when i'm told information about a piece of media when i didn't want to be told? Honest question is it not called being spoiled?

Meted

Jul 18, 2019
Yes, yes it would. In fact Vader being Luke's father was actually revealed years before the film was released.
That article is nuts if true, i always heard how tight lipped they were about the luke and vader thing, down to telling cast members a different reveal about obiwan being the one who killed lukes dad

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
No picture of Hubert as a Pegasus Knight yet? Come on, dude even made a note in that box in the chapel. Artists, you need to fulfill his dream!

@ Article above ... man David Prowse didn't give a single shit. ^^

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Those were revealed by Nintendo in a trailer, during the E3 direct no less. If it's in a trailer it's really not a spoiler honestly.
But yeah, if you want to be completely blind then you probably shouldn't be browsing a fan art thread.

edit: just noticed the art is also from before the game even released, so that's drawn from said trailer as well.
That's been heavily marketed. It's like complaining about someone spoiling the time skip in Ocarina of Time.
I've successfully avoided most trailers/marketing and all directs. I have no idea where it falls within the story. If it's as early as the OoT time-skip then I'll be alright. However, a little less defensiveness and understanding would have been appreciated.

Mar 29, 2018
Annoying when you're not at the time skip and you didn't even know there was a time skip yet people keep talking about it and posting designs

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for derailing the thread, not sorry for posting non-spoilers.

Anyhoo, this *could* be considered a spoiler, but it's dope.

Mar 29, 2018
Ah yeah enough of the spoiler-not spoiler chat. (I wrote responses below before seeing it was basically a derail.)

because it was just such a well kept secret otherwise /s
Yeah I mean some people were talking about it the week of release. That was infuriating.

Y'all, if it was in a pre-release trailer, it's not a spoiler.
I was on full blackout, as I do with most shit. Find that I enjoy them a hundred times more if I do so.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I mean some people were talking about it the week of release. That was infuriating.

I was on full blackout, as I do with most shit. Find that I enjoy them a hundred times more if I do so.

That there was a timeskip was shown in trailers pre release. It was therefore open game for discussion. If you were on blackout, you shouldn't have been in threads on the game.

Harbinger00

Oct 27, 2017
I love when you return a lost item and the person you returned it to is like "oh hey thanks! Uh...how did you know this was missing?"

I like to picture Byleth just sneaking into everyone's room at night, stealing random stuff to "find" later

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its literally in all the promotional material for the game, youre not on full blackout if you are coming into threads about the game. This has been known for months and actively promoted by Nintendo

Mar 29, 2018
That there was a timeskip was shown in trailers pre release. It was therefore open game for discussion. If you were on blackout, you shouldn't have been in threads on the game.
Its literally in all the promotional material for the game, youre not on full blackout if you are coming into threads about the game. This has been known for months and actively promoted by Nintendo
woOoOoo i sHouLdN't haVe bEeN iN tHreAdS foR tHe gAme

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
woOoOoo i sHouLdN't haVe bEeN iN tHreAdS foR tHe gAme

If you were, you weren't on blackout. What -- you expect people not to talk about trailers in threads on a game? Talk about unrealistic. Sorry, but you erred. Blackout means avoiding anything on a game, not hanging out with people who aren't on blackout and are actively discussing promotional material.

Mar 29, 2018
If you were, you weren't on blackout. What -- you expect people not to talk about trailers in threads on a game? Talk about unrealistic. Sorry, but you erred. Blackout means avoiding anything on a game, not hanging out with people who aren't on blackout and are actively discussing promotional material.
I don't really care enough to go deep here, but might as well lay out my perspective:
- I was and still am on blackout
- I didn't watch any trailers or read any articles, thus had no idea about a significant plot/design point (the timeskip)
- I entered a thread about fan art
- note neither the thread title nor OP have spoiler warnings (other fanart threads do have spoiler warnings/fanart in spoiler tags)
- some of this fanart turned out to be about said significant plot/design point

Yes, you're correct that it clearly wasn't and isn't a secret pre/around launch. But I didn't know that. Hence my posts in this thread.

More importantly, it sounds like the kind of thing which maybe should have been a secret. It would have been a wild surprise if none of us saw it coming.

I'm not at that part of the game yet, but if a timeskip happened and I had no idea it was coming, I'd be blown away. (This is why I go on blackout.)

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care enough to go deep here, but might as well lay out my perspective:
- I was and still am on blackout
- I didn't watch any trailers or read any articles, thus had no idea about a significant plot/design point (the timeskip)
- I entered a thread about fan art
- note neither the thread title nor OP have spoiler warnings (other fanart threads do have spoiler warnings/fanart in spoiler tags)
- some of this fanart turned out to be about said significant plot/design point

Yes, you're correct that it clearly wasn't and isn't a secret pre/around launch. But I didn't know that. Hence my posts in this thread.

More importantly, it sounds like the kind of thing which maybe should have been a secret. It would have been a wild surprise if none of us saw it coming.

I'm not at that part of the game yet, but if a timeskip happened and I had no idea it was coming, I'd be blown away. (This is why I go on blackout.)

It'd certainly blow people away, but you have to look at this from a marketing perspective: until the E3 trailer where it was revealed, people were constantly fretting about Three Houses being a school sim. It was necessary to show the game's major conceit — the timeskip — which the school portion sets up for dramatically and emotionally, in order to bring everyone on board.

If they'd kept people in the dark, it would've made for a massive surprise for many, but at the same time a lot of people wouldn't have gotten it to begin with. Which is more important?