• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
-- Now with Threadmarks! --

Fire Emblem Awakening (2013) vs Fire Emblem Three Houses (2019).

Notice how the dialogue boxes of both games are almost the same size? Yet the text on Switch is tiny compared to 3DS.

D-u-_vMXoAUr1yd

Look at the amount of blank space in the textbox.

When the textbox (not the text itself, but the box surrounding it) fills almost the entire width of the screen already, why not just make the text big enough to properly fill the box to begin with?

The Battle UI is also harder to read now because the text is smaller and less vibrant and even uses a serif font.

D-u-_vSX4AYko2e

This is ridiculous. The screen got bigger but the text got smaller.

TV Comparison of Treehouse gameplay vs Edge of Tomorrow:

D-3v5leW4AArYAw

They even made text from the Japanese version of the game smaller:

EAPN7kKXUAA8YT6.jpg

The font is even too small and flimsy to be properly displayed on the Switch screen:

Why do videogame subtitles have to be so freaking small?

I hope this gets fixed.

Proof that this is text for ants:
LMAO. I was just out playing this game on my porch. I'm looking through a list of students when an ant crawls onto my screen.
The ant itself was literally bigger than some student's whole names. If the ant had crawled over Hubert's name, it could have covered his name entirely with its body.

tinytextp1kj6.jpg

This is my Switch. I put a US 5 cent piece on the screen.
Note how the text on the damn coin is larger than the text on the screen. I didn't even notice until I was taking the picture.
See Hubert, Caspar, and Petra on that list there? Any of their names names could fit entirely onto the Switch's tiny tiny face buttons, at that font size. That is not a joke, just look.

It's l i t e r a l l y tiny text for ants.

It's really cool that you've got 20/10 vision, I'm pretty jealous. Unfortunately, for all too many of us non-Kryptonians, text that's smaller and less legible than what you'd find on a US coin ain't gonna cut it.

/Edit:
This has got Tim Rogers' attention now (he writes for Kotaku). It's a start:

/Edit 2:
We finally have an article from Kotaku:

/Edit 3:
The comparison I did above gained a lot of traction on Twitter now:

PS:
Remember to keep tweeting this problem to Nintendo:

@NintendoAmerica @NintendoDE @NintendoEurope @NintendoUK @ADrakeWasHere @trintran @EditingEntropy

Last edited:

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the drawbacks for the switch design. Games wont be made truly with handheld in mind anymore because they're designed to work with TVs primarily.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
One of the reasons is the 3DS screen resolution was ass, I doubt it was purely them being nice and accessible.

Although yes, there should be a damn middle ground

OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
One of the drawbacks for the switch design. Games wont be made truly with handheld in mind anymore because they're designed to work with TVs primarily.
Exactly! This is what I have been saying for quite some time. It's ridiculous, especially with a Hybrid console like Switch. I wish a major oversight like this got more media attention.

HOW IN THE HECK DID YOU GET A COPY OF FIRE EMBLEM THREE HOUSES?!
My uncle works for Nin... actually, these are ingame shots from the eShop.

Now imagine this in a 480p screen.
Yea, but funny thing is, it's successor, Xenoblade 2, has perfect text size in both TV and handheld mode.

Last edited:

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You'd think they design the UI around the handheld mode since that works just fine during docked mode. Doesn't work as well when its the other way around

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It's also a much higher resolution screen--3DS was 240p so fonts needed to be pretty big so they didn't look terrible.

I think the comparison doesn't tell much because of this fact.

Gaiaknight

Oct 25, 2017
seems perfectly fine to me outside of making the text a darker color but that could be the lighting from the picture.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I've been concerned about this since the game's reveal. Small text and small numbers could make this a real pain to play in handheld mode. I would love a text size adjustment for handheld mode, I think 1 or 2 games already do this, but I'm not hopeful.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Looking at eShop videos of the Japanese version, its text is much larger, closer to the two lines per box of Awakening.

(Obviously there's a difference in how much you can convey in Japanese versus English per character/word)

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, there may be an option to change it when it when it comes out. Plenty of games offer it and I don't see why this one shouldn't given the obviously flaw in playing this in handheld mode with that text size.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
...why would the text be smaller when the screen is docked? The text box around it would presumably be the same either way, so it's not like shrinking the text when docked would serve any purpose.

OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Handheld mode could have larger text. Bit early to judge.

Looks adequate either way to me.
So it's entirely possible that the screenshots are from docked mode, and they might up the font size in handheld.
The font size could easily be larger when in handheld mode.
You just killed your own thread. For all we know those are docked screenshots ...
You guys seriously think text and UI will be larger in handheld mode? Has any game ever done that? Examples?

I would love that but highly doubt it.

Would be much easier for developers to simply choose a font that works perfectly for both TV and handheld mode to begin with.

Reminds me of Hyrule Warriors 1080p-scaled-down-to-720p-without-addressing-text-scaling.

Also that.
Look at the Treehouse gameplay on YouTube. Looks the same to me. Let me come back to this thread when the game is released.

Looking at eShop videos of the Japanese version, its text is much larger, closer to the two lines per box of Awakening.

(Obviously there's a difference in how much you can convey in Japanese versus English per character/word)
Yep exactly. Japanese text is bigger (and actually centered within the text box).

Look at all that wasted space on the textbox, lol
Yes, also this. Doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Xenoblade Chronicles X set the bar for tiny text on screen in handheld mode. This is not bad in comparison.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I don't understand how this can be a problem in so many games the last at least five years. (though even the original Dead rising had this problem).
Do developers sit one inch away from the screens or something?
The recent God of War also had very small text too and even had to patch it, though they only made it every so slightly bigger.
Look at how much space there is left in those speech bubbles!
Why on earth are devs so afraid of having some size on the text in their games?
As someone with very bad vision it's a real annoyance.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018
I'm a bit confused on the negativity on this thread, even if the images are docked, being concerned about the text size in a RPG where text is going to be on the screen a lot is important and from those official shots, I can see a least 2 friends of mine who don't have the best eye sight struggling to read it, even in docked mode. Good subtitles really should be the norm, especially in an era of gaming becoming more aware of the needs of people with issues like eye sight.

Nintendo really doesn't get a free pass on that and I don't really see the need for the nastiness here and dog piling

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Docked or not that text is ridiculously small given the size of the text box and the low contrast only makes it worse

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
I don't understand how developers keep overlooking this problem. Even in docked mode the letters should be big enough to be seen from a normal gaming distance. I have the same problem with MHGU when I want to melt charms.

OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I don't understand how this can be a problem in so many games the last at least five years. (though even the original Dead rising had this problem).
The recent God of War also had very small text too and even had to patch it, though they only made it every so slightly bigger.
Docked or not that text is ridiculously small given the size of the text box and the low contrast only makes it worse
I don't understand how developers keep overlooking this problem. Even in docked mode the letters should be big enough to be seen from a normal gaming distance. I have the same problem with MHGU when I want to melt charms.
Exactly. And going with a flimsy serif font doesn't help either.

Monolith Soft figured it out.
They really did. Xenoblade 2 has the perfect text size for both TV and handheld mode.

I'm a bit confused on the negativity on this thread, even if the images are docked, being concerned about the text size in a RPG where text is going to be on the screen a lot is important and from those official shots, I can see a least 2 friends of mine who don't have the best eye sight struggling to read it, even in docked mode. Good subtitles really should be the norm, especially in an era of gaming becoming more aware of the needs of people with issues like eye sight.

Nintendo really doesn't get a free pass on that and I don't really see the need for the nastiness here and dog piling
Thank you!

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
Even on TVs, way too many games are using fonts that are way too small lately. I'm willing to bet Three Houses would not be a great reading experience on my TV, either.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Development happens on monitors and not small screens or TV screens so a lot of them are sitting close to their monitors and don't notice small fonts to be a problem. At least this was what I heard before.

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, its a regular problem on the switch, guess it requires too much work to adapt the UI and text size for handheld mode or something