• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't read the entire thread, but do they lay out who was responsible for the game's design and direction?

I could see how development could be staffed with IntSys leading the game's design (systems, mechanics) and Koei doing some of the design and all of the programming.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Ugh

I don't like anything that Koei Tecmo touches in regards to outsourcing projects

Still mad how Dissidia Final Fantasy turned out to be

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Ugh

I don't like anything that Koei Tecmo touches in regards to outsourcing projects

Still mad how Dissidia Final Fantasy turned out to be

I know, right? All in all, I'm glad it's as good as it is, but it makes me furious that there will likely NEVER be another sequel to the original and duodecim, purely because they already have a team fighter and a mobile game.

At least the mobile game is The Best and Most Generous Gatcha Game Of All Time, and Totally lives up to the legacy of the first two in it's own way.

But, my point here, is that outsourcing development of a Major series can be fine, but needs to be done carefully. If you create a precedent to make other companies handle your IPs for you, you run the risk of executive action shelving the whole thing as a reaction to bad press or sales. Then the team is fudged for no reason of their own.

There are conflicting intents in my previous paragraph, and that's on purpose. While individuals working at a company can do their jobs for various reasons, money will always be the Final Factor, and reasons and intents can conflict and contradict for that money, and do so all the time.

Minor series' like Dissidia Final Fantasy are totally fudged no matter what, the original developers might as well not exist anymore. I hope that isn't the case, but it might be.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't read the entire thread, but do they lay out who was responsible for the game's design and direction?

I could see how development could be staffed with IntSys leading the game's design (systems, mechanics) and Koei doing some of the design and all of the programming.

There is a credit list available... from the credits. The two directors are from IS, but Koei does have some game designers listed. Also, all writers are from Koei, surprisingly.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Very cool. Gameplay and life management stuff is wonderful. I really like this game a lot.

Tech is WOEFULLY bad, though. Would have looked bad on early Xbox 360 even. Inexcusable, honestly. And then that it can't even run at 30fps half the time in the monastery? Insane. I would have excused this level of visuals if it was 60fps.

I haven't played it yet, but if this is the Koei team behind the long running strategy series(Romance of the 3 Kingdoms and Nobunaga's Ambition) then the tech issues and lackluster visuals aren't surprising.

Their strategy games have always been very deep and addicting(since the 1980s) but the visuals kind of bleh.

UnknownSpirit

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, if Koei did this one, I am SUPER curious at what Intsys is doing, because this is my first fire emblem game and I am ADDICTED.

This game is impressive if it's all Koei.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
Intelligent Systems isn't owned by Nintendo, but Nintendo built them a building recently. They're about as close to a first party developer you can get without being first party.

IS used to work out of Nintendo's building back in the day, and they've never released a game for any platform other than Nintendo as far as I can tell. It's pretty understandable that people think Nintendo actually owns them.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
There is a credit list available... from the credits. The two directors are from IS, but Koei does have some game designers listed. Also, all writers are from Koei, surprisingly.

The two chief directors are evenly split from Nintendo and IS. With the assistant and sub director also being from the Nintendo side. Mainly all who worked on FE Echoes and other FE before.

We can't play the worship famous game directors with Twitter game and disregard that role for names that are less recognized.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny that Koei Tecmo developed 3 first party published titles all released in a single month.
Dragon Quest Builders 2 (western release published by Nintendo on Switch) was outsourced to Koei Tecmo
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 was made by Koei Tecmo
FE Three Houses was co-developed by Koei Tecmo.

All out in June.

They're not my favorite dev, in fact I don't like 90% of their work. But I guess they're good at handling the brunt work on titles.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
It's funny that they comment on the game length as I feel like that's one of the main complaints I've heard about this game is that it's too long. I haven't bought this yet and I'm looking forward to playing it but that's probably the biggest complaint I've heard about it.

Deleted member 33120

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Cool, now if IS can get somebody who understands the original appeal of Paper Mario and have them work on it...

AM_LIGHT

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Guys I need a little advice . I am at the part where i have to choose a house and I am really torn between blue lions and black eagles. My heart says blue lions because I like the design of Dimitri but in most of the reviews I've seen they went with BE . am I missing much by not choosing BE for my first play through ? No spoilers please.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
In the worst ways possible. Really, I am enjoying the game, but the visuals and performance shave points for me. They're both consistently jarring.

I'm loving the game too but it's good to hear I'm not the only one who has issues with the graphics.

In portable mode the resolution seems to be all over the place. Even little things like the scene when a character levels up, it'll sometimes jump between resolutions and the character's face turns into a smear of pixels. It's not Xenoblade Chronicles 2 bad, but it's distracting.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Wait people don't like the character models? They're amazing! Sure a couple of textures are low res but they still look great. They could use some anti aliasing though.
The real ugly stuff is in the environment

Meowmixez

ESS ESS DEE
Oct 27, 2017
Wait people don't like the character models? They're amazing! Sure a couple of textures are low res but they still look great. They could use some anti aliasing though.
The real ugly stuff is in the environment

Absolutely. The environments look terrible. The characters are top notch.

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
Advance Wars Switch.. if only.
Lm93KRM.gif

Oct 25, 2017
So that makes perfect sense to me. IntSys laying the groundwork and rules (much spun off previous entries, of course) and Koei applying.

Not to take anything away from Koei at all, but simply saying "supplied minimum staff" is, while true, misleading imo. Who those staff are matters a good deal

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
The characters look great. Everything else looks bad and it struggles to have a consistent frame rate. I'm having a lot of fun with the game, but it's not a looker for sure.

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, if Koei did this one, I am SUPER curious at what Intsys is doing, because this is my first fire emblem game and I am ADDICTED.

This game is impressive if it's all Koei.
See:

The two chief directors are evenly split from Nintendo and IS. With the assistant and sub director also being from the Nintendo side. Mainly all who worked on FE Echoes and other FE before.

We can't play the worship famous game directors with Twitter game and disregard that role for names that are less recognized.
Also holy shit EAD Ninja is still around... have always enjoyed your posts - glad to see you're still educating us!

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys I need a little advice . I am at the part where i have to choose a house and I am really torn between blue lions and black eagles. My heart says blue lions because I like the design of Dimitri but in most of the reviews I've seen they went with BE . am I missing much by not choosing BE for my first play through ? No spoilers please.
Picked Blue Lions, you miss nothing (I mean, you miss the other two paths, but you will miss two other paths no matter what).

Woylie

May 9, 2018
I'm tempted to say IS is working on a Genealogy remake since that seems to be where things are heading, but it also feels weird for the new mainline title to be the one handled externally while the "real" FE developers do a remake?

Also I think the Switch Lite may have killed our chances for a Switch Warioware anytime soon. Hopefully I'm wrong and they could just do one that's button input-based or based around the gyroscope which I think the Lite also has. I suspect that we won't see a lot of stuff like 1 2 Switch that's dependent on the Joy Cons coming out much anymore.

AM_LIGHT

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Went with blue lions , The game is supposed to be repayable anyway so I'll get to try the other 2 in the future.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm tempted to say IS is working on a Genealogy remake since that seems to be where things are heading, but it also feels weird for the new mainline title to be the one handled externally while the "real" FE developers do a remake?
Given that some (all?) IntSys directors and designers were working on Three Houses, this means that whatever other staff who usually do the programming are either not working with Nintendo anymore (which means IntSys would be very tiny and not a full development team now) or are indeed working on something else. And that something else hasn't even been announced yet? Maybe it's a new IP (still overseen by the directors/designers who were also occupied by FETH) that could still be scrapped and they don't want to reveal until it's far along in development?

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
What carries over? Are the NG+ stuck on the same difficulty?
You can change gender/difficulty (I want to say at will) and other things carry over in a Tales-like "renown" shop where you expend renown for Supports/Teacher Rankings/etc to ease you into subsequent playthroughs.

Yes please. I've been dying to play Genealogy.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017

But the same directors who worked on the remake spent the next 2 years working on this game.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Soo... When is Nintendo buying KT anyways? It seems to make sense for them given how much KT work can do...

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like it was a bit of a risk to pass off the big Fire Emblem game on Switch mostly to another developer. I really wonder why they decided to do that -- wouldn't Fire Emblem be IntSys's top priority? Like sure they could be working on Paper Mario or WarioWare or something, but I don't see why they would choose to do that instead of securing Fire Emblem. Maybe they are doing a new IP or something? Or maybe they just felt they couldn't handle HD development?

But anyway the risk really paid off -- the game is fantastic! So I'm not complaining, just wondering.
Int Sys has done an HD game before in color splash, even if the staff doesn't cross over much with FE, to address that final point.

But I think it's a good thing. People have been saying Nintendo should have executives spearheaading projects with other companies on their IPs to increase their production time and content.

As long as we don't see horrible results, It's a good strategy nevermind the reason.
Mecury Steam with Metroid
Bandai with Smash
KT with FE3H (and musous if you want to count them)

None of these projects turned out poor. So the strategy seems alright.

As for Int Sys, we'll see what's in their pipeline.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
It is flawed, but I do think what it gets right balances out the balance issues and the problems that result from the massive maps.

Thracia is probably the one from that era that is worse than its reputation suggests.
Which is my point? There's this belief that FE4 is the best because...I dunno, more mature themes and the middle twist?
I'm not disputing the point that it's a good game that many other FE games have taken inspiration from. But I find it highly questionable how people can just go ahead and call it the best game without taking a proper critique (a lot of valid criticism thrown at the newer games are applicable to it as well but nobody does so anyway).

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Int Sys has done an HD game before in color splash, even if the staff doesn't cross over much with FE, to address that final point.

But I think it's a good thing. People have been saying Nintendo should have executives spearheaading projects with other companies on their IPs to increase their production time and content.

As long as we don't see horrible results, It's a good strategy nevermind the reason.
Mecury Steam with Metroid
Bandai with Smash
KT with FE3H (and musous if you want to count them)

None of these projects turned out poor. So the strategy seems alright.

As for Int Sys, we'll see what's in their pipeline.
rip star fox zero 😣

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I'm super curious as to the business aspect of such a collaboration. Did Nintendo pay a set amount per hour employee worked? Does TKoei get a percent of the profits? I just really want to know what amount of money it takes for a publisher to give over a chunk of their workforce for a game they won't see the return on since they aren't publishing it.

I had the same question for Bandai Namco and the hundreds of employees over 6 years who made the 2 smash brothers games.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
The big Three Houses Famitsu Interview has been translated (more at the link):

Indeed the credits are now on Youtube and you can count the aforementioned IntSys staff at the top (a total of 17!) while the rest is all Tecmo:

Should be noted that this team is not Team Ninja nor the Musou/Warriors team, as mentioned in the interview it's the team behind the Romance of the Three Kingdoms series of strategy games. This series is actually very popular and prestigious in Japan.

An interesting exception: The scenario lead is named as Yuki Ikeno, with Ryohei Hayashi and Mari Okamoto as the other scenario writers. All three of them were Tecmo Koei writers for Fire Emblem Warriors.

It's incredible that these folks cranked out probably the best Fire Emblem story since Path of Radiance, and arguably the best since Genealogy of the Holy War.

An impressive result for their first time on Fire Emblem!

Makes sense I played a few of the Romance games honestly they are top tier and if they are this good at FE maybe they should make some other games of this ilk

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
I'm super curious as to the business aspect of such a collaboration. Did Nintendo pay a set amount per hour employee worked? Does TKoei get a percent of the profits? I just really want to know what amount of money it takes for a publisher to give over a chunk of their workforce for a game they won't see the return on since they aren't publishing it.

I had the same question for Bandai Namco and the hundreds of employees over 6 years who made the 2 smash brothers games.

I think about this too

Could it be that much cheaper to use another developer's people instead of just hiring more for yourself? Or is it just in the game's best interest to go with people that excel at certain genres even if that means you lost a cut of the profit

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, guess I should just get it then

IMHO (and I'm not that far into the game) the story and character development in 3H takes a rocket launcher and blows PoR's to smithereens. Of course, I thought PoR was dull and toothless, like King Lear by way of Leave it to Beaver.

I think about this too

Could it be that much cheaper to use another developer's people instead of just hiring more for yourself? Or is it just in the game's best interest to go with people that excel at certain genres even if that means you lost a cut of the profit

I'm no expert on anything management, but expanding isn't just a matter of hiring twice the staff and being twice as productive. It can require a fundamental reorganization of how a group operates, and the original culture can be lost in the process. I suspect that IntSys has a small team mentality that just isn't amenable to scaling up. Partnering with larger devs allows them to work on larger projects while maintaining their unique identity.

Last edited:

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
KT and it's various studios seem to be the "go to" for a lot of Japanese publishers these days. I wonder if it's just that they are this easy to work with or are that reliable to get a project done within an acceptable time frame of a certain quality. It's likely both I'd guess. They are involved with a lot more projects these days than I think many of us realized, especially recently.