Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So you got to work at your own pace, boss wasn't up your ass and you feel the need to whine. Yeah quit, let someone else have the job.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Realistically? Retail, particularily in a pet or bookstore. I don't care how shit it would pay or if I'm surrounded by douchenozzles, at least I would also be surrounded by fluffy animals and/or wall-to-wall paperbacks.
Have you considered going for a vet. tech 2 year program? Assuming being around animals = a willingness to do the dirty work caring for them?

A book store at this point would be a straight up wait 'till it closes kind of thing. You might want to consider applying for library work. Johnson City doesn't have any openings but if you're looking for a more liberal setting I'd assume you'd prefer Asheville? If so the Buncombe County website is looking for multiple staffing positions. The no experience ones are part time, but depending on how far away you are that'd be a solid way to get a foot in the door.

As to your current situation: they're paying you to not know what you're doing, riding in a van for ~20% of the day, and it sounds like when you're at a site they're going to largely leave you to your own devices. I'd say finish out the week at a minimum and just bring some headphones for the ride.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You want to ditch an easy gig because some coworkers are MAGA chodes? That's pretty weak. Don't take politics that seriously.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
So you got to work at your own pace, boss wasn't up your ass and you feel the need to whine. Yeah quit, let someone else have the job.
Yeah honestly OP has a pretty sweet gig from the sounds of it. I would at least give it a week or two you never know things may get better and you will gain some experience from it.

And I hate to say if you are living in Tennessee you are going to have a hard time avoiding Maga Hats.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
By your own admission you have no skills, and yet you're griping like you can afford to be choosy about the work available to you.

Yes, living in a red state can be annoying if you're not sufficiently Republican - I'm a liberal living in the suburbs of deep south Texas so I know this well - but learning to collaborate with people with whom you don't particularly like is kind of an essential life skill. The real world isn't Era; you can't just create your own little ideological walled garden and expect jobs to accommodate you, and especially not when you lack marketable skills.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Realistically? Retail, particularily in a pet or bookstore. I don't care how shit it would pay or if I'm surrounded by douchenozzles, at least I would also be surrounded by fluffy animals and/or wall-to-wall paperbacks.
I would look into working for an animal shelter. They always need volunteers and you can maybe try to spin that into a paying position later on.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
Many of these retirement communities are in it for the guaranteed Medicare money and pay their workers sub-living wage. A businessman local to me has figured out that this parasitism applies to charter schools as well.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You live in Tennessee. There's not a job in the entire state that will shield you from Trumpers at work. Best just learn coping mechanisms and chase the best salary.

Gallows Bat

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'd advise getting a thicker skin. We all have had to work with people we don't like. You're not going to get anywhere in life if you bail at the first sign of something you don't like.

blomby

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Just so I got this, y'all totally okay with not hiring Trumpers but think the people stuck working for/with them are just being whiny.
I see why you failed the personality tests for Kroger's.

Nobody who is calling you out thinks you suck or you are in the wrong but a choosing beggar is a bad look. What do you want this thread? An empty void to yell at? Cool, treat it like a void then. If you want advice or assistance then be willing to take what is offered.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
By your own admission you have no skills, and yet you're griping like you can afford to be choosy about the work available to you.

Yes, living in a red state can be annoying if you're not sufficiently Republican - I'm a liberal living in the suburbs of deep south Texas so I know this well - but learning to collaborate with people with whom you don't particularly like is kind of an essential life skill. The real world isn't Era; you can't just create your own little ideological walled garden and expect jobs to accommodate you, and especially not when you lack marketable skills.
Harsh but I agree with this. Is there any chance you can try to gain more skills? Going back to college or enroll in some kind of skill based program will get you there. Otherwise, your choices will be limited based on luck, and location. And the odds of finding a decent job while being unskilled is definitely going down over the years.

My first ever job was a minimum wage job being an RA at a building. While this is far from being as bad as working in the fast food industry, I have had many nasty experiences. From hard to please residents, to pushy supervisors and shitty hours. I was thankfully a student at the time. I got an internship in a very big company and I was amazed how different it was. It's not about the huge increase in pay or the fancy building, it's how they respected me as a human being. They trust I would do the work and would not be on me all the time. I was free to manage how I accomplished my tasks. It was refreshing but it also gave me a different prospective on how my first job was just so bad.

Hopefully you will have that experience one day.

OP
OP
King Alamat

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
I see why you failed the personality tests for Kroger's.

Nobody who is calling you out thinks you suck or you are in the wrong but a choosing beggar is a bad look. What do you want this thread? An empty void to yell at? Cool, treat it like a void then. If you want advice or assistance then be willing to take what is offered.
It honestly started out as the first, but then people started giving me genuine advice and I thought it'd be rude to ignore them.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
don't listen to people telling you to work in a toxic environment.

they don't care about you.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
OP I'm still only part way through your post - I can maybe binge the rest at the weekend, but does your job require a lot of intenseive use of chronological tense for narrative and geographical clarity - or useful paragraph breaks? If so then your instincts might be correct. Again I will know more by Sunday evening or so.
That's unfair. The OP's post is probably one of the top 20 most immersive novellas I've ever read here on LiveJournal.com.

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
You can only get so far without a post-secondary education. From what I've read, I agree that you need to toughen your skin up a bit because I've worked in wonderful spaces that employed less than stellar employees; these people are everywhere.

I agree with the above about you lacking marketable skills, so my suggestion is to take a look at yourself and see what you enjoy, how you can turn those into paid opportunities. Politics suck and while it stinks you don't like the people at your job, they don't pay your bills.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
If you're just working a job for the paycheck its not abnormal to be "I made a huge mistake" but as other people have said, 1 day is probably not enough time to adequately assess things.

Deleted member 18502

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every job has people you won't particularly enjoy being around. Coworkers, customers, or suppliers. Stick with it.

Oct 25, 2017
Only thing I wanna contribute that it's cool to see other posters from East TN. I live like 45 mins from Johnson City.

Also sorry about your job. Never feel bad for trying to find something better. Life is too short to be miserable.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Are you able to tell the staffing agency that you don't think that job is right for you so that they can hopefully try to find you another?

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
If you can afford to quit then do so. If not, work until you can.

However, with no skill sets its going to be hard to find a decent job.
You could always apply to be a Firefighter if your area has a nonvoluntary FF station. They will actively teach you everything you need to know.

As for avoiding Trumper, that will be even harder since you live in a Red State. You may not be able to find any workplace that has no Trump supporters.

As always do what is best for you and your mental state.

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
I'm not going to comment outside of pointing out that getting some experience in a maintenance job could provide you with skills that could definitely help you out in the long run, as there's a huge lack of younger people with handyman skills these days and, if you have a knack for it, you can make pretty good money. It's up to you whether or not you can put aside any personality conflicts to learn the skills.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
OP I'm still only part way through your post - I can maybe binge the rest at the weekend, but does your job require a lot of intenseive use of chronological tense for narrative and geographical clarity - or useful paragraph breaks? If so then your instincts might be correct. Again I will know more by Sunday evening or so.
This is so unhelpful and condescending.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Are Florida and Tennessee the only two options? Do you know anyone in other states that you could stay with while you get your feet under you?

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
An observation...

These threads are usually made by people who need their jobs more than the job needs them...

Most jobs available to you are going to be pretty shit unfortunately.

You need to get on with it.

Jroc

Jun 9, 2018
So let me get this straight...you want to immediately give up on an easygoing low-skill job because you had to hear some coworkers talk a bit about Trump at the end of the shift?

Bruhhhhhhhhhh

There are people in customer service who have to spend 7+ hours a day talking to people they can't stand. Just tolerate it or try to shift the conversation or something.

If you can't handle interacting with conservative people then that immediately disqualifies you from working with at least 1/3 of the American working-age population. Most people are multifaceted and have other interests you can connect with if you really want to. Try talking about cars or martial arts or asking them about themselves. I get not wanting to associate with certain people when you can choose not to, but being able to make the best of a situation and connect with different people is an insanely valuable (and powerful) life skill.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Holy fuck you're a whiner
I thought the OP was written pretty well and interesting. I actually think they have an affinity for writing. Maybe that's something you should pursue, OP. Not sure what you're problem is calling him a whiner just for venting in a well-phrased way. Maybe the Trump bits bothered you?

I used to work around blue collar white dudes and I just did my damn job. I was always waiting for it to happen but that "other shoe" never dropped. This was years ago so maybe there was some level of decorum that existed before Trump.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
OP, if you gotta have a shitty job, better one that teaches you useful life skills like painting walls, fixing stuff and the likes. It´ll save you A LOT of money down the line. Stick with it until you no longer needed it or it can not teach you anything or you can´t take it anymore or you find something better, but for now see it as a way to enable you to do what you want, maybe save some cash and learn.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
I work as an administrative guy in a maintenance shop. I'm in WI. motherfucking place is filled with conservatives, though most aren't completely frothing MAGA types. Still, they're all baby boomers and I've basically sold a bit of my soul working here.

Hours and pay are tippytop though, and upper management thinks I walk on fucking water when I'm just as lazy as everyone else.

As unprepared as your day was, OP, it didn't sound THAT bad. I guess I swallowed the political coworkers pill and it hasn't killed me, but I can see it being a deal breaker too. Sometimes I just want to slap them.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Those are highly requested retail jobs, unless there´s a very high demand for workers in your area, you will probably have to gain other retail experience first and couple it with volunteering at your local animal shelter/library.

Pickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I read the op whole playing the worlds tiniest violin. In a world of shit jobs, an easy going lead who does not care you butcher the job and gives you props, and the only downside being you work in a lame city with ignorant trumpsters (which are everyfuckingwhere) is not the worst assignment worth dropping out on a first day. The only person I feel bad for is the temp agent

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You gotta do you. If I had to deal with shitty trumpets I would cuz I need a job but if that shit takes too much of a toll on your mental health, I get it. I'm glad Marketing, at least where I work, is mostly liberals and leftists surprisingly.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're a smart person but your attitude is going to hold you back in life unless you get lucky.
Honestly, luck gave me 3 of the best jobs i've got, but sometimes it took 6 months of searching and in a week i got like 5 different calls all at the same time.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

HAHA NICE BRO

They're struggling financially with no college education but imma make fun of their literacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.