• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AJUK

May 28, 2019
It's good, but not a generational leap looking good. I guess the previous one set a high bar to be fair

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
People are acting like giving Game Informer crumbs is unprecedented but the press previews where we found out loads about the first game and really stood to be impressed, didn't arrive until exactly a month before it launched. An E3 demo and some trailers were exciting but there was a fair amount of negativity being spread around with claims that the game was smoke and mirrors, unfavourable comparisons being made to Ryse: Son of Rome, uncertainty that this direction would work for the series, and there was concern about the combat not being as deep as the originals, with no jump button and how can the axe possibly compare to what you could do with the blades? I guess people are choosing not to remember all of that because it ended up being previewed and reviewed as one of the best games ever made.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
People are acting like giving Game Informer crumbs is unprecedented but the press previews where we found out loads about the first game and really stood to be impressed, didn't arrive until exactly a month before it launched. An E3 demo and some trailers were exciting but there was a fair amount of negativity being spread around with claims that the game was smoke and mirrors, unfavourable comparisons being made to Ryse: Son of Rome, uncertainty that this direction would work for the series, and there was concern about the combat not being as deep as the originals, with no jump button and how can the axe possibly compare to what you could do with the blades? I guess people are choosing not to remember all of that because it ended up being previewed and reviewed as one of the best games ever made.
Yep, there was a ton of negativity before those previews dropped.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
1Kxjje.jpg

1KxZhH.jpg

Ehhh. I took some pictures back around launch on my base PS4 of a similar section, and it holds up much better than that image of GoW 2018 suggests. I can only imagine it looks even better now on PC.

godofwar_20180423142979dyb.png

godofwar_20180423143026fmw.png

godofwar_2018042314310lfii.png

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's good, but not a generational leap looking good. I guess the previous one set a high bar to be fair

Well it is still a last gen PS4 game, that will be enhanced for PS5, so it was never going to be a generational leap forward. Hardly something that people should be worried about though, Horizon Forbidden West was the same and the PS5 version is one of the best looking games out right now (especially now they fixed performance mode)

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Just imagine working on a game for four years and have people on a message board call it an expansion or DLC, based on 1 minute of footage.
I'd imagine, if i worked on the game, i wouldn't care because i'd figure they wouldn't know better from what has been released. Hell... I work as a statistician in biostatistics and publish papers that the majority of people don't understand. I couldn't care less.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I do find it a bit weird how personally some people in here take any criticism of the game.
It's not unheard of that people want a sequel to be a bit distinct from it's predecessor.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Both Forbidden West & now Ragnarök have been called "DLC". The same will most likely happen to Spider-Man 2.
Nah. Even with that one teaser Spider-Man 2 has done a great job of teasing its gameplay improvements.

- Miles' new blue colored powers
- Peter's default suit having the spider legs that are now used in combat (and most likely in traversal)
- Co-op take downs between Miles and Peter

Spider-Man 2's teaser trailer is the way you should tease a sequel imo. It gives you some story set up and it also shows how the gameplay will be improved in significant ways without giving you all the details right away.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Who's going to buy a $70 game on release day if they don't "feel" impressed? Don't need Sony to show all their cards but it would be nice to have a hook for a game the company is clearly poising for big holiday sales/GOTY candidate.
Gow2018 is the only game other than Bloodborne that I have platinumed on a PS console. I cannot express my fondness for that game enough.
However, what they've shown so far literally looks like an expansion of a four-year-old game. No wonder excitement levels are not what they should be.
Onus is on Sony to create something hype-worthy, not on us to fake enthusiasm.

Good lord Sony just give these people some 2 min footage of Kratos fighting Thor with some epic music in the background so that we can be done with this noise. Hopefully the rest of us can avoid spoilers.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Reading some of the replies makes it seem like they wanted the direct follow on sequel to one of the best reviewed games of last gen to be ANOTHER reboot.

This game almost gets people's panties in a bunch as much as last of us does. It'll be amazing. You don't have to pretend to worry.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to play the game at this point, hurry the hell up November!

Boomstick75

Banned
May 7, 2021
Hype is through the roof for this game. Collector's edition pre-ordered, and my wife also pre-ordered me a physical copy to sit in the steelbook. Don't even care. This was always a day one game for me. 2018 was/is one of the finest games I've ever played. I've finished it 5 or 6 times, most recently being a couple of months ago, and I could boot up another play through right now, and it not get old. I'm all in.

Dec 7, 2017
It's a direct sequel, looks exactly how I imagined it would be.

Not super excited about it, but might be the best exclusive of the year after all...

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
This is completely baseless and does not make sense at all.

We've literally seen the game. A trailer was just released yesterday that shows the game is not "crippled," as you put it.
Of course it's factually baseless...but is it not reasonable? Do you not think a PS5 only developed God of War would look/feel/be a lot better?

You watch. Sony Santa Monica's next current generation only game will look/feel/be much better than Ragnarök. The advances they can make without considering PS4 will be tremendous.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Big problem I had with 1 was how the combat just ended up with spamming runic attacks as soon as they were off cool down. And you could have four equipped at endgame. This was easily the most effective way to fight.

Hope combat in this one has more depth and viable strategies than 1.