• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deadset

Banned
Apr 27, 2022
you can look no further to...god of war itself

god of war 2 to one looked so hype in the trailers, and it wasn't even a cross-gen game for PS3 but you can tell just how much more bombastic it was than the first game
Why would I go back and look at a ps3 game to make comparisons to ps4/5 game with completely different goals, philosophy, methodology and development...that isn't a wise move, a mistake people here consistently make...well it was like this 15 years ago!!! god of war was the first game with lots of room for improvement, it wasn't pushing any boundaries....where is god of war 2018 going to go? it was one of the best looking games that year, pushing the ps4 pro...not a good comparison

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
god of war was the first game with lots of room for improvement, it wasn't pushing any boundaries....w
Ngl, I'd use that to describe God of War 2018 as well

God of War 2005 was popular games of the Era blended together and 2018 is basically the same

2005 was hack and slash, puzzle platforming, with QTEs

While 2018 is rpg elements, lots of downtime walky-talky segments, third person action

Deadset

Banned
Apr 27, 2022
SMS has said that they just didn't have the time or budget to do some of the things they wanted in GOW 2018. Much like GOW 2005.

GOW1 lacked big fights, bosses, and had much more limited enemy variety. SMS seems extremely proud and says some mind blowing stuff is coming. I fully believe them.

They're basically keeping GOW 2018 but dialing the world design and fights up to 11. Which is basically what GOW2 was to GOW1.
exactly....there's only so much that can be done with a cross platform game, you have limits, you work within those limits

Deadset

Banned
Apr 27, 2022
Ngl, I'd use that to describe God of War 2018 as well

God of War 2005 was popular games of the Era blended together and 2018 is basically the same

2005 was hack and slash, puzzle platforming, with QTEs

While 2018 is rpg elements, lots of downtime walky-talky segments, third person action
ya and just like the original the second game they'll build upon and improve what came before it but in terms of fidelity what more could they really do

duckroll

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
GOW1 lacked big fights, bosses, and had much more limited enemy variety. SMS seems extremely proud and says some mind blowing stuff is coming. I fully believe them.
Haha, remember when they talked up the trolls in GoW 2018 and said each one had a name and a backstory and weren't just palette swapped mini-bosses or something? Boy that was ill advised.... haha.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
SMS has said that they just didn't have the time or budget to do some of the things they wanted in GOW 2018. Much like GOW 2005.

They're basically keeping GOW 2018 but dialing the world design and fights up to 11. Which is basically what GOW2 was to GOW1.
Well if this holds true I could forgive the lack of a visual upgrade. Give me a solid 1800p-4k/unlocked mode with more enemy variety, bigger boss fights and updated gameplay mechanics and that'll do.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
They could do whatever they want for this "marketing," but I'll find it quite amusing if they didn't do a deep dive State of Play up to launch & thought these drip feed bread crumbs Game Informer footages were "enough."

If the next bigger longer footage would be just the B-roll of previews/reviews, then that's what we'll get, I guess.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I really don't understand after a complete overhaul of the GoW formula how people expecting drastic changes in this one. It will be more God of War (2018) with probably refined and expanded everthing. I really don't see the problem with that, they JUST overhauled the complete formula. People are expecting too much these days.
This exactly. People just appreciate less and less these days. A great looking game is not good enough.
I hope they don't show too much and let the game do the talking at launch. Enemy variety and more epic boss fights are my personal hope for improvement.
The game is going to be massive.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I love seeing the Dwarves running around

This is a massive goty type game that's getting these small clips, i'm starving

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
This is the first i've seen of ragnarök. I liked GoW 2018 (not as good as 1-3 but still good) but this looks more like an expansion or DLC? It's been a while since playing GoW 2018 so i might remember incorrectly. Either way not very impressed.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
An abundance of visual cues imply walls are mountable and structures can be acted upon, setting the stage for potentially intricate puzzles.
I'll believe it when I see it. Puzzles in the first where extremely simplistic and badly designed, and nothing in the video shows otherwise. This reads more like fanboy wishful thinking than a game journalist informing about something he has had access to.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
This is the first i've seen of ragnarök. I liked GoW 2018 (not as good as 1-3 but still good) but this looks more like an expansion or DLC? It's been a while since playing GoW 2018 so i might remember incorrectly. Either way not very impressed.

Damn, we finally reached the DLC arc of this story lol Horizon Forbidden West had the same comments thrown at it. Ya'll are legit wildin out in these GoW threads

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

Was Mass Effect 2 just an expansion because it was more of the same? Uncharted 3? Any sequel ever.

I just find it weird you can make that judgement call on a game that we have seen basically a minute off all up :P

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
They could do whatever they want for this "marketing," but I'll find it quite amusing if they didn't do a deep dive State of Play up to launch & thought these drip feed bread crumbs Game Informer footages were "enough."

If the next bigger longer footage would be just the B-roll of previews/reviews, then that's what we'll get, I guess.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's Sony since PS5 was announced basically.

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Was Mass Effect 2 just an expansion because it was more of the same? Uncharted 3? Any sequel ever.

I just find it weird you can make that judgement call on a game that we have seen basically a minute off all up :P
Don't agree with the Mass effect 2 thing. I thought it was a massive difference between 1 and 2 (though i prefer 1) which i frankly don't see in this trailer. I mean i was transparent that i made a judgement call only based on this trailer. I would love to be proven wrong but so far i'm not impressed.

Forcevapour

Banned
Jun 10, 2022
I don't have to see anything from Ragnarok. I was sold in 2018 when kratos had Thor turn up at his front door.

SubTXT

Jul 24, 2020
It's just crazy that the biggest game of year is coming out in two months and it doesn't feel like it at all. I guess we'll get the crazy hype a month out…

Sony didn't even tell us the price and release date of an ENTIRE CONSOLE (the PS5) until 2 months out. September 16th 2020 was that showcase. The console launched November 12.

57 DAYS NOTICE. That's all the marketing cycle was ... FOR A CONSOLE LAUNCH.

I hate how much Sony makes us wait, but I'm used to it.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
It's understandable, if people don't get impressed by this GI coverage. The game can still end up masterpiece and win most goty's etc. I don't get the drama here.
Just Sony's decision for this GI coverage was not the best one. Do one GOW State of Play and that's all. 🤷

Lepi

Mar 24, 2020
I can't wait for this game, but this was boring and pointless. It's too short to enjoy and someone talking all over it sucks. This is such an odd way for this game to show up after such a wait.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
57 DAYS NOTICE. That's all the marketing cycle was ... FOR A CONSOLE LAUNCH.

I hate how much Sony makes us wait, but I'm used to it.
To be fair, the marketing cycle for PS5 began way before thant that, since there was the Future of Gaming Showcase in June 2020 (and prior than that, the Road to PS5 in March of the same year)

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's fine saying the new footage looks the same as GoW 2018 because it does. Devs usually uses graphics to distinguish a new installment from the previous one to the consumers but the new GoW doesn't look that much different graphic wise.

So Sony would ofc show something new or even big like a boss to hype people, right? wrong. They give GI a 2 minute footage of boring gameplay fighting smaller enemies as if that would make up for the fact we're 2 months away from launch and have yet to see anything beyond the only gameplay they showed one year ago.

Sony marketing for this game have been bad. I understand making trailers takes time and they're trying to release the game in 2022, but that doesn't change the fact GoW 2018 had a much better marketing campaign. Hopefully (surely?) we will see more of the game but I hope Sony can figure out their shit and improve how they show their games in the future.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
Has something happened in the marketing world lately or what?? The number of AAA games that have had terrible marketing campaigns leading to launch these past years is quite surprising.

SubTXT

Jul 24, 2020
To be fair, the marketing cycle for PS5 began way before thant that, since there was the Future of Gaming Showcase in June 2020 (and prior than that, the Road to PS5 in March of the same year)

Yeah, but Road to PS5 was not really a consumer event so that doesn't really count and not even telling the world the price and release date until 57 days out is still insane in hindsight. But that's how Sony rolls, for better or worse. I remember the whole discourse in Spring 2020 being, "are they even going to launch it this year or delay!?"

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly astounding how people in here think they now better about marketing than literally the people that get payed millions to do it. Marketing for this game is catered to the "normal" users that will go out and buy this game and not to Resetera core users that discuss a 4 minute gameplay trailer for days.

Sony just released a First Party Game, they will not focus their marketing on another game while the first one is not even a week out. God of War is also a 2 Months out, i don't know why they would need to pump out trailers so early. As soon as they will drop a lengthy trailer next month, the world will be fine again and everybody will be hyped.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Not that silly if they got it before the price increase.

Plus I'd rather eat a roll of plastic wrap than play it on jetstation 4, the first game was already unbearable

The PS5 is going to run the game at higher framerates too, which makes a biiiiiiig difference in an action game like this, not to mention the faster load times and so on. Totally get why someone would get a PS5 for just GoW:R if they really liked GoW18 and wanted the best possible experience for the sequel.

Sento

Nov 1, 2017
GI figuring out how to make 5 more videos with their whole 2 min footage.

math-thinking_4yie.gif

shounenka

Nov 22, 2017
Yokohama
People out here really wanting them to just show everything so they can "feel" impressed, lol...

Who's going to buy a $70 game on release day if they don't "feel" impressed? Don't need Sony to show all their cards but it would be nice to have a hook for a game the company is clearly poising for big holiday sales/GOTY candidate.
Gow2018 is the only game other than Bloodborne that I have platinumed on a PS console. I cannot express my fondness for that game enough.
However, what they've shown so far literally looks like an expansion of a four-year-old game. No wonder excitement levels are not what they should be.
Onus is on Sony to create something hype-worthy, not on us to fake enthusiasm.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
People out here really wanting them to just show everything so they can "feel" impressed, lol...
"Show everything"

Man, the game has been announced two years ago, we're 60 days from release and all we have is 2 minutes of actual gameplay footage lol
It's not much to ask for a new trailer at this point, it's not wrong to build excitement with the fanbase, making theories and stuff. We barely had anything to discuss about this game for a whole ass year

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
It looks great as expected. This game won't miss, it basically just needs to give me another version of the previous game and it'll be my GOTY.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't seem like a wise idea to buy a console and wait for a game that is also on the previous generation?

Well, I picked up my PS5 as soon as I found one available last year and at least so far this game is the only one I'm actively waiting for on the console.

And yeah, I wouldn't wanna play it on my base PS4, late gen games were already annoying on that machine.

"Show everything"

Man, the game has been announced two years ago, we're 60 days from release and all we have is 2 minutes of actual gameplay footage lol
It's not much to ask for a new trailer at this point, it's not wrong to build excitement with the fanbase, making theories and stuff. We barely had anything to discuss about this game for a whole ass year

Basically. Unless the game is like 3 hours long I'm pretty sure they can show off a decent amount without "showing everything".

Last edited:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Weird question, but has any of these previews mentioned if Ragnarök will have a story summary video of GoW18 for newcomers or something to that effect? I suppose Youtube will be full of those (if it isn't already), but an official one is always the one I go for.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weird question, but has any of these previews mentioned if Ragnarök will have a story summary video of GoW18 for newcomers or something to that effect? I suppose Youtube will be full of those (if it isn't already), but an official one is always the one I go for.
They did that official one on youtube with felicia day i think. You'd be better off just watching cr1tikal's edited playthrough or just playing it though.

Rurunaki

Oct 27, 2017
"Show everything"

Tlou part 1 just released. Releasing a showcase for Ragnarok now will divert the attention from that. Disney/Marvel also has an upcoming event and if the rumors are true that Spiderman 2 might show up in that event, then having 2 big AAA announcements may take away from each other's hype. 2 months is still a long ways, and the closer we get the more the Ragnarok hype machine will gain traction.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
and not even telling the world the price and release date until 57 days out is still insane in hindsight
What exactly would have changed if they told consumers the price earlier?
They are still selling every single console they can make almost two years after the launch. Such a weird take.
People are just insanely impatient. That's all this discussion is about.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
OK, show us the beautiful Vanaheim you cowards. :p
We have been waiting to see all its amazingness since the artworks leaked in 2016. It's an eternity.