• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
blog.playstation.com

First look: PlayStation 5’s next-generation user experience

PS5 UX features revealed: Control Center, Activities, Game Help, and more.

50488259263_7f3e75fabd_h.jpg

50488968796_e25764bf48_h.jpg

We believe your play time is valuable and should be meaningful, and all the new features we're delivering are inspired by that concept and vision. The new UX introduces several new features designed to make your gaming experiences more fun, engaging, personalized and social.

One of the highlights is a new Control Center, which provides immediate access to almost everything you need from the system at a single press of the PlayStation button on the DualSense wireless controller – all without leaving the game.

We've also added a new feature called Activities, designed to bring you closer to the key elements of gameplay. Activities are displayed via on-screen cards in the Control Center, which enables you to discover new gameplay opportunities, go back to things you missed, jump directly into levels or challenges you want to play, and much more. Some Activity cards can be put in picture-in-picture mode, so you can view them without having to leave the game.

DF details

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

www.eurogamer.net

Our first look at the PlayStation 5 user interface - and it could be a game-changer

When was the last time we saw a game-changing reveal in the immediate run-up to the launch of a next generation console…
Sony's menu systems have always been polished, beautiful pieces of work, but for the next generation, this is married with a truly impressive range of in-game functions. There are some impressive new improvements to existing options but also things we have never seen before in a console.
We've had hints of sorts about the look and feel of the system UI in prior Sony online events, with a smart menu system rendered in glittering bronze - and we can now confirm that the whole presentation renders at a native 4K and even supports native HDR out of the box.
There's a focus on instant access to everything you need - delivered thanks to the new, faster Zen 2 CPU cores and the ultra-fast SSD solution, supplemented by a caching system to reduce potential network lag. On top of that, certain apps like the PlayStation Store are now fully integrated into the system, meaning no delay when you access them.
1920x-1

1920x-1
But the cool new stuff really starts to kick in when you highlight a specific game - it's at this point where we start to see the 'cards' associated with the title, and the most crucial card type are Activities. Essentially, Activity cards take the form of curated entry points into the game, authored by the developer
In the State of Play video, we see how just fast activating an Activity is: we are running from a suspended version of the game (it's not a cold boot), but regardless, thanks to presentational flourishes, any hint of loading is cleverly obscured - you're straight into gameplay.
1920x-1
Ultimately, everything we've seen so far of the new user interface suggests a degree of innovation that may well border on outright revolution, depending on how developers choose to use the tools delivered by the new cards system. In theory, the sky's the limit, but certainly in the here and now, the focus is on easily accessing more content within a particular title - and maximising the return from what may be a limited amount of gameplay time. But the good news is that it's all wrapped in a high quality, polished menu system that will be familiar to PlayStation 4 gamers, while evoking memories of the slick PS3 user interface.
Way more in the link above.

Last edited:

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Uuuuuuu, looks sleek.
I like that PiP stuff. Would be great if it worked for twitch and youtube.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's fine, I guess. I don't really know what all the insane speculation and hype was about a screen most users will likely stick around on for 5 seconds before booting something up, though.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my gawsh out of NOWHERE

First thoughts.

I like how there's a lot of room for the background wallpaper to be shown, very nice

It looks more like a phone screen with apps compared to PS3/4 not sure i'm liking how small the game icons are but they do have a larger icon for each game that shows up in the bottom right so it evens out

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Looks nice, better execution seemingly than the PS4's one which just felt jumbled and cluttered to me.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Very similar design language to the PS4--fonts, etc.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
I'll wait to try it myself. Not sure what I think of the layout. Love we still have a row but it something just seems off to me. I still am a huge fan of the XMB though and was hoping for something more like that again.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
1920x-1

I really like this command center stuff. You can set challenges in games I think? Not super sure how it works but it sounds pretty cool

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
This is a lot different then I was expecting. Still got that XMB base though.

Also: Praise Burger King.