• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
this is what I'd like to know more about. I'd like to hack my switch and run homebrew. As long as I don't pirate switch games, do any funny business with Nintendo's servers, or cheat online is it fairly safe at this point?
Everybody who has been banned has done something illegal with their console: cheating online, loading backups, using CDNSP, etc. I'm not even sure Nintendo can ban you if you don't do anything fishy. They'd be in the wrong from a legal standpoint, wouldn't they? At the end of the day, I can only tell you what my own experience has been: do nothing illegal, and you'll be safe.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Something wrong guys?

Listen, as I said, it's all well and good discussing the emulator and how to get the best out of it. Nobody should have a problem with that.

But if the Original Poster is making a thread to actively promote an emulator using what looked like screenshots of pirated games that they admitted taking, then why have you all got a problem with it??

You all know this forum doesn't promote piracy, there are other forums out there that you can go to discuss that.

My guess is that if Nintendo believe you're pirating Switch games then what's to stop you from attempting to pirate the Switch games that you acquire from the eShop. Or use a tool to try to get those eShop games for free.
This is exactly it. There is already a homebrew app that will allow you to pull anything you want from the eshop free of charge. 3ds had the same thing. Vita has one too for that matter. They need to prevent that kind of thing from existing.

Oct 27, 2017
This is exactly it. There is already a homebrew app that will allow you to pull anything you want from the eshop free of charge. 3ds had the same thing. Vita has one too for that matter. They need to prevent that kind of thing from existing.

That homebrew app you mention, and the related PC program, don't work anymore. Nintendo implemented checks that get you almost insta-banned if you download something that's not in your account.

atmuh

Oct 25, 2017
Everybody who has been banned has done something illegal with their console: cheating online, loading backups, using CDNSP, etc. I'm not even sure Nintendo can ban you if you don't do anything fishy. They'd be in the wrong from a legal standpoint, wouldn't they? At the end of the day, I can only tell you what my own experience has been: do nothing illegal, and you'll be safe.
well Nintendo can legally ban you for tampering with your console in any way, it's just a matter of whether or not they can detect it and will. I remember when there was a huge ban wave of 3dses I didn't get hit, presumably because I didn't do dumb stuff

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
They released a NSP (native Switch app) version of Retroarch which allows to launch it like a regular game instead of homebrew. This in turn allows sleep mode among other things and access to 3GB of RAM, which some emulators need.

http://retroarch.com/?page=platforms

Lakka, the Linux variant, has been making progress as well with support of N64 and DC. Hopefully we'll see that on Horizon Retroarch soon.

Last edited:

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
They released a NSP (native Switch app) version of Retroarch which allows to launch it like a regular game instead of homebrew. This in turn allows sleep mode among other things and access to 3GB of RAM, which some emulators need.

Lakka, the Linux variant, has been making progress as well with support of N64 and DC. Hopefully we'll see that on Horizon Retroarch soon.
Wow, sounds pretty neat! I'm probably a few months away from hacking my spare Switch. Going to wait for the scene to develop a little further.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
There's also currently a bounty (a prize) around 2.000$ to whoever develops a MIPS dynamic recompiler for ARM64 which is the architecture the Switch and many other devices (think RPI3, most phones) use. This would mean huge speed increases in N64, PSP and PSX emulation since the three have MIPS processors.

AFAIK there's a dynamic recompiler for Arm32, that's why those systems run better on older hardware than on current.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Finally! Plus an added bonus of being able to install on system mem. The scene is making significant progress

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Ugh I might need to get a backup tablet off eBay soon to mod my Switch for retroarch support. Although I think I am on 6.0 so I guess I'd need to wait anyhow. Awesome to see the fast progress .

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh I might need to get a backup tablet off eBay soon to mod my Switch for retroarch support. Although I think I am on 6.0 so I guess I'd need to wait anyhow. Awesome to see the fast progress .
No need to wait. Switch exploits are unpatchable. As long as you dont have the hw revision.

Last edited:

Young Magus

Oct 25, 2017
So I have sound crackin issues.
How do I fix that?
Also, whats the best crt shader to use? or are overlays better?

Naked Snake

Oct 27, 2017
Haha. I need to install one on mine too! The good thing about this is that you have the option to try again if it doesn't work out.
I just did it! Butched up the first one, luckily it came with two tempered glass protectors, so I tried again with the second one fully expecting that I'll mess it up again and needing to order another one, but luckily it went well. What a relief.

PatShallBe

Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone set up good Borders & Shaders for SNES, GBA, Genesis etc. for Handheld Mode on the Switch and would be so kind to share the Settings/Files? That would be awesome!

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
What is the internal resolution in retroarch and can you change it? Looks to be way below 720p given the stairsteps in n64 and psx games. And how do you set three point n64 bilinear filtering go get more n64 like AA?

My video settings are
custom aspect ratio width 960 (3x)
Custom aspect ratio height 720 (3x) (these do not seem to influence the native res?)
No integrer scale

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Dont know if this is the right thread but im interested in trying out RetroArch on Switch.

Gonna likely get the Switch Mini/Lite or whatever is gonna be called in June as well - so i could use the older one for Homebrew fun.

Question - can or will i get banned by Nintendo if i only use the current/old Switch for Homebrew (Retroarch) while im offline ?

Not interested in downloads, piracy or any more substantial hacks - just Retroarch.
So if i understand it correctly i can run/boot the CFW to run Retroarch....and run/start the stock firmware to use my Switch like before for eShop, online play etc. ?

If even this can get me banned by Nintendo im gonna wait until June...otherwise im gonna give it a shot now.