• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017

Plot summary for those curious:

"Primatologist Davis Okoye, a man who keeps people at a distance, shares an unshakable bond with George, the extraordinarily intelligent, silverback gorilla who has been in his care since birth. But a rogue genetic experiment gone awry mutates this gentle ape into a raging creature of enormous size. To make matters worse, it's soon discovered there are other similarly altered animals. As these newly created alpha predators tear across North America, destroying everything in their path, Okoye teams with a discredited genetic engineer to secure an antidote, fighting his way through an ever-changing battlefield, not only to halt a global catastrophe but to save the fearsome creature that was once his friend."

Leaked trailer, bad quality:

https://www.facebook.com/riptapparel/posts/10155779131101704

Jeffrey Dean Morgan also in this.

Last edited:

DarkLordMalik

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they bring it back as a multiplayer game after movie. I loved the series as a kid and loved playing with family.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
2015%2F06%2F23%2F38%2Frampagevide.fee7d.gif

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the PS1 version of the game. Had good times with my childhood friend next door.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Wut? How is this a thing? I mean....if it gets us a new rampage game I guess?

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
I had to read the title about four times. I did not know this was a thing, and now do not believe this is a thing. What.

JayCB did you know this was happening?!

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
I had no idea The Rock was in this... but of course he is.

I really loved the Rampage games back in the PS1 days. I'd probably buy an HD remake of Universal Tour.

Rephin

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I had no idea this was a thing, and now I'm mildly curious to see if this means that there are new Rampage games coming. I played a ton of it at home on the NES and a bit in the arcade back when I was a kid.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I thought this already happened? Didn't Uwe Boll get the rights and he instead used the name to make some movie about a dude who built a body armor suit? Did I dream this shit?

Edit: Apparently when the news broke people just assumed it was supposed to be base on the game because of his prior films.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is such a weird IP to base a modern-day film on.

The last game in the series was released nearly twelve years ago and apparently, there is no attempt to tie this movie into a new game.

Just...weird.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought this already happened? Didn't Uwe Boll get the rights and he instead used the name to make some movie about a dude who built a body armor suit? Did I dream this shit?

Edit: Apparently when the news broke people just assumed it was supposed to be base on the game because of his prior films.

I've never seen it but apparently it's a genuinely decent film.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
The Rock VS Giant Monsters: The Movie

Of course The Rock wins.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Of ALL the potential video game ip's to choose from to adapt to film....

Fuck it, I look forward to see how they make it work.

OP
OP
Poetic Injustice
Oct 25, 2017

"Primatologist Davis Okoye, a man who keeps people at a distance, shares an unshakable bond with George, the extraordinarily intelligent, silverback gorilla who has been in his care since birth. But a rogue genetic experiment gone awry mutates this gentle ape into a raging creature of enormous size. To make matters worse, it's soon discovered there are other similarly altered animals. As these newly created alpha predators tear across North America, destroying everything in their path, Okoye teams with a discredited genetic engineer to secure an antidote, fighting his way through an ever-changing battlefield, not only to halt a global catastrophe but to save the fearsome creature that was once his friend."

OP
OP
Poetic Injustice
Oct 25, 2017
The rights to Rampage have landed with WB, which doesn't seem interested in Midway properties besides MK. Though they did make a Gauntlet game in 2014.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
To capture the true Rampage experience, it needs to drag on so long that you get bored and don't actually finish watching.

augustus

Nov 12, 2017
i remember playing rampage world tour when i was young and liking it a lot. i haven't thought about it much since then. didn't even know the first game in the series came out in '86.

this movie will probably be bad. i kinda wanna see what it looks like though.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Between this, jumanji and the Doom movie The Rock seems hellbent on ruining my childhood one IP at a time.

Guess I should throw Baywatch on there but I uhhh definitely did not watch that as a kid....

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

That...That isn't even the plot of the game, as basic as the game's plot is.

Oct 25, 2017

Wait a second - the Rampage game was about humans who had been transformed into giant creatures, not mutated animals. This movie is a fraud!

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Trailer already leaked on Facebook. It delivers exactly what you expect. Monster destroying shit and The Rock. Yes, all 3 monsters are in the trailer.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
King Kong?

Jokes aside i have no idea how fucking RAMPAGE has enough story or lore to make a movie but i guess that could help as it gives the movie a rather blank slate. I wanna see monsters destroy shit but i dont know if its worth the movie ticket. Maybe a Netflix night.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing that they got the plot to Rampage wrong, when the plot in the arcade game is all of 1 sentence long.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, OK, now it's starting to make a tiny bit of sense.

The film is being made by New Line Cinema, which is part of Warner Bros., who acquired the rights to Rampage and a bunch of other Midway IPs when the company went under.

I mean, this is still going to be a really dumb movie, but at least I understand to a point why this was made.

the lizard

Nov 1, 2017
I'm actually...pretty into this. Loved Rampage when I was a kid. The poster doesn't bode well in this regard, but hopefully they keep it goofy and campy in keeping with the tone of the game. Trying to make this a serious movie is a one-way ticket to Shitty City, USA.

But what if this was the game film that broke the mold? What if? What if this is video games' Spider-man?

Edit: Welp, just read that the plot is actually about mutated animals and not mutated humans. I'm out.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Sega Master System version of Rampage shits all over the NES version

you knew you were getting something awesome cause of that special red box

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit sad it sounds like it's mutated animals as well, I was kind of hoping they'd go full on 90s schlock and make really bad CGI transformations of people into these giant monsters that fight tanks and the army while spreading violence and smashing buildings for no good reason, only to be shot down and demorph back into a naked human who embarrassingly streaks through a destroyed city.

And of course monster battles with subpar effects. This movie could still have B-Charm, but cutting out human transformations is strangely disappointing.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this should be some kind of comedy instead of a lesser Dwayne Johnson action film

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still surprised that this game series that I enjoyed playing is getting a movie!!!

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Leaked trailer, bad quality:

https://www.facebook.com/riptapparel/posts/10155779131101704

Jeffrey Dean Morgan also in this.

It actually doesn't look that bad to me by the low quality teaser, as in it looks like dumb fun (which is basically all I'm looking for in a Rampage film). A few of the actors even in the teaser seem to be hamming up their performance, which is fine, and I like the designs of Ralph and Liz.

The worry is if it focuses too much on human drama, and that human drama isn't too entirely interesting.