• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
First in... a long while that I've made a thread on this forum. Hopefully I'm not too rusty at it but this whole situation annoyed me to the point I wanna spread the word and do my damnest to warn people about this company and support a dev of a fun game.

So First Press Games is a Limited Print company operating from Germany. You may know them moreso as the pub behind the ever delayed Chained Echoes physical edition. They've been around since 2018ish, and they've made OK physical editions. But they clearly joined as part of the whole "Limited Print Boom" that kicked off around then due to the Switch. And a LOT of limprints exist and most came from said boom, as we have...

...Special Reserve Games (Now defunct), Limited Run Games, Strictly Limited Games, Dispatch Games (Also scammers, who've gone ghost), Warned Collectors (Scam from the start), 1Print Games (Inactive), Hard Copy Games, Red Art Games Premium Edition Games, Limited Rare Games (Hard Copy Games doing a poor parody attempt), and Super Rare Games. And there are likely others I'm forgetting. So yeah, it's a crowded market.

Crowded market, means these guys almost never sold out of anything. Which was nice from the consumer as you could just often buy your item when in hand rather than worrying about immediate sellout like some other limprint pubs had for a time. They put out their first set of three games, albeit with a small delay near the end, and that seemed decently fine. Took a bit more for the CEs of those to wrap, but they came out good and I personally liked my Hole New World standard edition due to the nifty manual and Ultra-inspired cover art.

However, the second set of games is where things start to get a bit messy. Mulaka, Rival Megagun, and Psychotic Adventures Origins all were put up for preorder, and the former two only finished production of the standard editions, with the CEs STILL in limbo. Mind you, these all were up for preorder in 2019. The third and final game, Psychotic Adventures Origins, still has not finished production. As far as my notes take me, it's been on the production update page as a "Patch in QA" status since 2021, with no word on this standard edition shipping out. Nintendo's Lotcheck must be real busy these days! /s

Needless to say, these guys kept opening up new orders, including for stuff like Crimson Clover and a Sydney Hunter game, and almost all of them have been delayed indefinitely. Almost no progress has been made at all per the status update page, and last year, they went from saying they'll ship their stuff in Q4 2022 to Q3 2023 (and now everything got delayed to Q4 2023, which ends in two weeks, and... Yeah, you can see where this is going).

They wouldn't answer emails on why, and since early last year they completely disabled all communication on their social media. (mainly because people were asking why their refund requests were being ignored or where their game went, and they even went as far as to change their facebook page to not be a business page anymore so that people would stop leaving 1 star reviews there) Per the limited print reddit/discords i'm in, almost nobody can get ahold of em for refund requests unless they start to threaten them or report them to EU consumer protection agencies, which then leads them to finally responding. Yet they don't hesitate to promote any new kickstarters they partner with and open up more preorders, while not answering questions about the older stuff. As of this year, the only new products they printed were the Natsuki Chronicles and Ginga Force Standard Editions for PS4, with their CEs in limbo too. They also got a Blazing Rangers NES game out, but again, only the standards.

So yeah, another of several limprints that dont communicate well and ghost their customers. Well, while Dispatch Games have gone ghost and their devs they worked with are silent on that matter, the same doesn't seem to be the case for FPG, which is why I'm making this thread to raise awareness, especially if you have a preorder with em on other stuff. Earlier this year, the POWA dev (a GBC homebrew they published) noted they couldn't get ahold of em and were being ghosted on twitter. This blew up a bit before eventually FPG messaged them.

A week or so ago, the Mindseize dev (yet another game they kickstarted and promised physicals for) finally got them to reply and they told that dev the physicals are just *now* starting production. Despite going up for sale years ago. Yeah, he's equally as annoyed as you would be. But that seems to continue the trend that FPG is not just ghosting customers, but the devs they partnered with too.

Then it all blew up today when the dev behind Project Blue, another indie they backed a kickstarter for (this time to make a Famicom version, with a CE that, yep, still isn't out after 3 years), came out and claimed that not only have they failed to give production updates and ETAs to them, but also didn't pay them at all and kept ghosting their emails with lots of silly excuses. He did a whole Reddit AMA about it. Of course, shortly after making this thread and a tweet, FPG finally paid them, but the damage was done, and the dev is rightfully annoyed that they keep giving him silly excuses for why they haven't heard *any* progress on the collector's edition, and why they keep ignoring his requests to try and streamline the issues they mention (such as cancelling a CD soundtrack they claimed was giving them trouble for *eighteen months*)

View: https://twitter.com/toggleswitch2/status/1734966056312316149

So, some highlights from the AMA, from the Project Blue Dev to describe what his experience working with FPG was like. On communication and unfair treatment...

1. Sometimes they tell us what is happening. I'll provide an example. Last January (2022) we were told that there was a snag with making CDs. This was not resolved until like, October of this year. So... over 18 months where the excuse is "we can't get CDs made". I happen to have a few releases on record labels so I'm aware of how incredibly easy it is to get CDs manufactured.
  2. They will ignore you for months at a time when they owe you money. . I consider that to be unfair treatment, certainly unacceptable. They basically ignore the terms of the contract we have with them and then it's up to you to try to enforce it while they string you along with excuses and delays for weeks or months at a time. Tons of emails like "get back to you later this week" and then I contact them the next week and they say "give me 3 days" and then I contact them 5 days later and they have some other excuse like a holiday or being sick, etc etc. It's exhausting and I shouldn't have to go through that just to get what is contractually mine.
EDIT to clarify that I have sent a year's worth of frustrated, angry emails and consistently been put off and ignored. I'm not punking them out of nowhere here, I have spent the last 3 months trying to work this out. It's not optional whether or not to pay people.

On how they're breaching contract by going way, way past their deadline to actually finish making the stuff for the CE...

Also want to mention they got all the money upfront from a Kickstarter campaign all the way back in 2020. Contractually all of these items were supposed to have finished production and been shipped over a year ago, probably closer to 18 months ago. And were supposed to have been paid at that time. So since then I've basically just been giving them an interest free loan.

On the stupid amount of ghosting and time it took to just get a darn payment

I apologize for the length of this post, but I just want you to have a full idea of what working with these guys is like.

They have not shipped the bulk of the value that they received from Kickstarter in 2020. Like, almost all of the money is in the special editions.

Contractually, they had a certain amount of time to produce those editions, which had expired by summer of 2022. At that time, at the latest, editions were supposed to be made and we were supposed to be paid, in full.

Around that time I sent them an email outlining several concerns that I had, including unshipped copies of special editions, unpaid regular edition royalties, (which they began ignoring pretty much immediately after release and which I have only ever received after spending hours and hours writing emails trying to get paid) and many other things.

They are obligated to provide us with sales reports (which they have to this day never done) and pay us automatically, on a regular basis. I have, 3 years later, never once received a payment from them without having to spend hours of my life getting it.

Shortly thereafter I replied to the message asking again for a reply and was once again ignored. I sent another which was also ignored. How would you feel if you had a contract with somebody and they chose not to honor it, then you contacted them multiple times asking for resolution, and they just... never responded?

And they continued ignoring me and putting me off for the entire month of August, into September. For example, the first message I sent was on the first of August. They ignored it that week, went on "vacation" for the next, said on the 15th they'd 'get back to you' but did not. Finally on the 29th I sent a rather angry message.

At this time they placated me by replying to one of my demands and sending the promo copies they owed me, which was probably their cheapest option.

All throughout September they continued filibustering and not replying the more important financial requests. I have received excuses as lame as "we don't have internet access when we're not at the office" which is just absurd.

On Sept 2, I was told they would work out the remaining issues, it would take "no longer than a few weeks". On September 20th I asked for an update. No reply. Sept 26th I again ask for an update. Again, no reply.

On October 3rd I sent an email where I showed some pretty clear frustration and was told "we will get back to you in a few days"

On October 7th and 8th I again asked for updates that were ignored. At this point, "a few weeks" had become 5 weeks. On October 10th I again showed some real frustration and was told that "we told you to wait" when in fact that had promised me a reply "in a few days". If it seems as though am I'm being impatient, remember it's been over two months of "just a few days" at this point.

Finally in mid October I get the regular edition royalties they have not been paying for the last 6 months. So it took me from August until October to get the money that they were supposed to give me automatically. And they had managed to still not deal with the larger issues of dealing with special editions and the royalties on that. And this shit went on and on for the whole month of October and into November when I finally cornered them on special edition money that we should have received IN FULL months earlier.

And at that point I finally was able to work out a payment plan for something that 1) we should have gotten all of, and 2) we should have gotten without having to spend 3 months of my life arguing over.

That's just a sample. The whole last year has continued more or less in this fashion. To this very day, some of the issues I outlined on August 1st, 2022 have not been responded to nor dealt with. So I apologize for the headline, but I feel like it is really an understatement of how miserable it is to work with FPG.

I wonder if you would prefer "First Press Games forced me to give them an interest-free loan?"

As an addendum I just want to say, I make music as well as games. And so I work with a total of like 6-7 publishers. And every single one, except FPG, I have a friendly relationship with, that mostly consists of them sending me money without me having to cajole them, and us having friendly banter about things that we mutually appreciate.

On the constant excuses...

For nearly 2 years now the game has been in a state of "just around the corner but we have one last thing to do!" First it was CDs (I asked them to simply not do the CDs and give people a small refund instead, and was ignored). Now it's boxes.

At one point the release date they gave was November of 2022, now it's Q1 of 2024, and communication has been somewhere between sparse and non-existent. They will sometimes send out updates to my partner but only when a flareup of relations happens. They don't do anything at all that they aren't absolutely forced to do would be the best way to put it.

From another Project Blue Developer, including the reply they got emailed today after the twitter callout (note that FPG's twitter still hasn't tweeted any ETAs on anything in a while publicly)

Another of Project Blue's developers here.

Over the years of delay, it's been a mixed bag. Sometimes we've been ignored for months; this has happened a fair amount of times. Sometimes through combined efforts of sending repeated mails, we've been able to get a response not yet available to the public, which i try to post anywhere i can.
I'll post the latest, which I got today after salamanderanagram tweeted about the misconduct.

But keep in mind we've got similar emails with various reasons for it being delayed to the next quarter - a process which has happened multiple times. Reasons have included various holidays, vacation times, covid, short on staff, much to do, waiting on missing materials from 3rd party. Some rationales have seemed legitimate, others very much not in my opinion. They've all been to the effect of sliding the matter to the future.

Many of these reasons have been repeated more than once at different occasions long periods apart. So i'm taking it with grains of salt, despite seeming closer to finish this time around. As should the backer.

"Yes, Collector's Edition are progressing good; I hoped that we would have them by Christmas but there are at least five steps involved in regard to just the CE packaging (printing, cellophaning, varnishing, embossing, punching) and various of our partners have a hard time with the corona virus and thus lack of staff.
Nevertheless it won't take much longer until we have them. We have consolidated production and will be releasing 22 different variants at once. Mind you, during the holidays there will be no assembling and fulfillment but we will consecutively start to ship them in January."

So, come January, or more likely february for international backers, i want to hear from people if you haven't received them yet.

And lastly, how this whole thing began with the Famicom Kickstarter and why FPG partnered with them.

They contacted us.

They agreed to pay us after shipping and then never shipped. I asked them to take the game off of their website and they refused.

So yeah. TLDR: First Press Games is shady as fuck, has ghosted three developers this year, and the most recent has made a lot of callouts and pretty much outlines that it doesn't seem like they're bothering to do any actual work on these CEs whatsoever. Constant excuses, delays, and refund dodging isn't good, and considering that a thread here just a bit ago on Chained Echoes's physical was asking where the heck that went, well, if it's anything like the other stuff they owe, it's probably nowhere close to being out the finish line. Personally, i'd just advise refunding anything pending from First Press Games at this rate, at least until it's actually in-hand. Project Blue is luckily available digitally on itch, Switch and Xbox, and I found it to be a charming time when I played it on XB earlier this fall.

That's why I made this thread since quite frankly, this shit seems to be getting increasingly more common in the limprint industry with devs getting ghosted or screwed, and First Press Games really needs to do something about this to not only communicate better with customers, but their own dev partners they reached out to, promised to make a kickstarter for, then went off with the money to produce nothing (or standard editions that took a bajillion years to come out). It also just pisses me off to see a well meaning indie getting screwed by a publisher who promised them money and didn't deliver until a public call out, (and still no proof on how close they are to producing the remaining CE components) and still not agreeing to pull the game from the site.

Last edited:

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
Thank you for compiling all this information. Ghosting customers is one thing, ghosting devs - your contracted partners - is outrageous. We complain about other limited run physical creators but I've never heard of anything this bad.