Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I was a Weird Al kid too. First cassette I ever bought was the single Fat.

When I hit like age 12 or 13 I started to get into music more, I fell in love with the band Presidents of the United States of America, thanks to their single Peaches. That was the first CD I ever bought and I begged my parents for a portable CD player so I could listen to their music more. From there I got more and more into other bands like Smashing Pumpkins, Green Day, No Doubt, Metallica, Tool, and KoRn, those bands pretty much defined my teens.
That Presidents of the United States record was straight up fire. One of the first ones I purchased as well.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Weirdly enough it was the Beatles - but through the lens of the Chipmonks.

I remember later "favorite bands/groups" up to junior high being (in this order) MJ, Poison, Bob Jovi, 2 Live Crew, Guns and Roses, NWA…

NWA made me only listen to rap groups until Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins and NIN suddenly made me change back to bands.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I was obsessed with The Beatles when I was around 6 years old, specifically the record Help!

Purely because it was in my dad's heavy rotation. I'm not a Beatles super fan in adulthood although I do like them, and funnily enough Help! is still my favourite Beatles record.

Oct 25, 2017
Probably Weird Al.
First band I listened to a lot was System of a Down.
First band I actually followed and looked forward to new releases from was Dragonforce.
First old band I got really into was Rainbow.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Grew up in a household where "secular" music was not allowed so the first band I got into as a kid was DC Talk during their Jesus Freak/grunge wannabe phase.

First non-christian band I started listening to was Crass.

That was a bit of a jump in a few ways.

machine

Oct 25, 2017
First two years of high school, I was mostly obsessed with Queen's The Game and the first two Doors albums. I branched out a lot after that though.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paramore was the first band I ever loved and will always be my favorite band of all time.

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
Michael Jackson. My mum got me Thriller on VHS when I was eight, even thought it was rated 15. Then a couple of years later I got Moonwalker on VHS. During this period, one of my nans bought me a bright Yellow Sony Walkman one year for either Christmas or birthday. Looking at the pictures I think it was a WM-FX10. My mum got me Off the Wall on cassette and I was hooked. But I wasn't really interested in buying msuic properly until Oasis.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
My first band is Radiohead. The Napster/Radiohead/Bjork combo was an unbelievable gateway for me. Man... the early 2000s was the shit.

hmm.jpg

I don't know how I found someone's winamp playlist that looks almost exactly like mine did in 2001 in google images. Crazy lol

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
I was a late bloomer thanks to my christian upbringing, but when I was 16 (2004) I became obsessed with Muse and their Absolution album. Things spiraled out from there, but for a short year, I pretty much exclusively listened to Muse' discography on repeat.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
By first CD was Post by Björk. I was in grade 9 I think. I remember doing an English project where we had to pick a song, analyze the lyrics, then play it for the whole class and explain the meaning. I was a very quiet, shy kid, and flew under the radar as best as I could. Everyone just stared at me as "It's Oh So Quiet" blared.

RMChoodie

Dec 27, 2021
American in Costa Rica
first album i can remember is my parents listening to bruce springsteen live album that was 4 cassettes I was maybe 5 years old
there was Prince from my mom The Pointer Sisters/Thriller/Bob Segar
I bought the Joshua Tree as my first album on cassette i was 9years old
my uncle who who was a DJ gave me The Clash debut album and EPMD Strictly Business these became my gateway into both punk/hip hop I was 10 years old
First CD's was GNR use your Illusion 1/2 and Snoop Doggystyle I was 13
So i blame my uncle for making me a music snob earlier than most
kids in my school loved hammer/poison/vanilla ice
me I'm listening to Public Enemy and Danzig at that time

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
The Beatles. I saw the trailer for the Beatles Rock Band, and that was all I needed to get into them.

Apr 24, 2024
Look, I'm a Gen Xer and started getting interested in music during 80s new wave and 2nd British invasion so Duran Duran was my 1st favorite band. I'm pretty sure Seven and the Ragged Tiger was the first album I owned (on cassette no less). I can say that "Tiger Tiger" slapped, and you had the big singles "The Reflex", "New Moon on Monday", "Union of the Snake". I don't remember the rest of the album too well. I should listen to it again.

As I've gotten older I've found myself going back to some of those old albums and artists liked before I was too concerned about being cool.

CopyOfACopy

Oct 27, 2017
I was always a fan of metal and rap. Ll cool j's "mama said know you out" was my first album, a gift from my mom. And a core memory of a ride on the Gravitron with Poison's "nothing but a good time" cemented my love of "metal".

Public Enemy is the first artist i got into on my own. Specifically from the anthrax collaboration of "Bring the Noise".

I got apocalypse 91 and loved it. "Cant truss it" went hard as hell for young kid. Slowly saved money for their other cds.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely Michael Jackson. It was 2001 or '02 when I was about 13 and home sick from school. I was flipping through the channels and VH1 was having all-day marathon of his music videos, and I had never seen anything like them before. I got hooked pretty much immediately. Over the following weeks and months I picked up basically his entire discography on CD, as well as DVDs with all his music videos. I had been into other singers/bands before that, but Jackson was the first recording artist I really got into.

Over the next 20 years it became harder and harder to reconcile my fandom for his work with the heinous and vile allegations against him. Leaving Neverland was the final nail in the coffin. With the exception of "The Way You Make Me Feel", which is in my top 3 favorite songs of all time, I just can't listen to his stuff anymore.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
R.E.M.

My dad bought a copy of Out of Time on cassette and I loved it.

They're still my favorite band to this day

Feb 9, 2018
For a solo act, probably Michael Jackson. I was a little kid back when he was at the height of his popularity and I absolutely loved his music.

For bands, nothing in particular back in the 80s, but in the early 90s I got super in to Aerosmith and Nirvana.

Apr 24, 2024
R.E.M.

My dad bought a copy of Out of Time on cassette and I loved it.

They're still my favorite band to this day
I had Document on cassette because I really liked "The One I Love" and I just did not get it. I stayed away from R.E.M until Automatic for the People released and "Drive" just grabbed me. Went back to Document (mysister had my cassette) and listened to it again and I was really hooked then.