Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a recent Yakuza convert. 0 was my first and now I love the series

Now that I'm finally playing Shenmue, the whole "Yakuza is a better/evolved Shenmue" thing is just utterly baffling. The games couldn't be more different. It's like saying Fallout 3 is a better STALKER because they're both post-apocalyptic and have guns

Yakuza is a JRPG-esque brawler with copious amounts of combat, with insane over-the-top moments that somehow work perfectly with the emotional yakuza drama. It's fast and frenetic and flashy and everything revolves around fighting.

Shenmue is slow and sedate, a 3D visual novel/adventure game that occasionally has some combat, but is more concerned about letting you meander around town and being a slice-of-life proto-immersive sim.

The only similarities that Yakuza and Shenmue share is that they're story driven and that they happen in lively atmospheric sandboxes. Beyond that, the games are nothing alike. I don't get this continued insistence that Yakuza and Shenmue are so similar because they aren't, at all. They're practically in entirely different genres, their pace and gameplay and designs are so different

A lot of the comparisons are a bit of a holdover from the reveal of the original Yakuza, which made the game look a lot more like a modern-day PS2 Shenmue than it ended up being. Even so, there is plenty of Shenmue (mostly 2) DNA in the Yakuza series even if they're not necessarily all that similar, especially after the inclusion of more traditionally Japanese-looking settings like Onomichi in Yakuza 6 or Ryukyu in Yakuza 3.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Love this thread. It's great seeing the impressions of Shenmue newcomers.

I fell hard in love with this game back on Dreamcast, and I am STILL salty that Microsoft kept Shenmue 2 from coming out on Dreamcast in the US.

The game I actually compare this game to most is Majora's Mask. Now, they're not THAT similar but they have a similar wistfulness to me. That said, and this is maybe a weird way of stating it, but I think Shenmue is kind of like a weird time capsule of gaming's "romantic period."

And I love the english dub. It's so utterly charming, like everything else in this game.

Jul 10, 2018
Honestly all these positive impressions are giving me warm feelings inside. I can't wait for some Shenmue II impressions as that is where the story really picks up.

Especially can't wait for new players to experience THAT moment near the end of the game, Shenmue vets you know what I'm talking about!

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Honestly all these positive impressions are giving me warm feelings inside. I can't wait for some Shenmue II impressions as that is where the story really picks up.

Especially can't wait for new players to experience THAT moment near the end of the game, Shenmue vets you know what I'm talking about!
I hope future people who buy this game closer to shenmue 3 launch can find this thread cuz I'm pretty sure an influx of ppl will buy this during that timeframe and can share their impressions as well

Oct 25, 2017
I said this around the time of the Shenmue III kickstarter but I think while there is and was a lot of handwringing over Shenmue's gameplay, the growth of 'walking simulators' and cinematic adventure games has probably laid the groundwork for a gaming landscape that is more receptive to Shenmue's style than when it first released and expectations of what a game was were more narrow.

Dec 30, 2017
it's done on purpose, to give the idea that you constantly expand. Shenmue begins with you trapped in one room, where you can do anything in that room, open any drawer, etc. Then it expands to a house. Then the neighborhood around your house. Then the town. Then the city. Then Hong Kong. Then China.

Starting in a room is, thematically, a pretty awesome way for this game to all begin.

This animal is right.

AkimbOb-omb

Oct 30, 2017
Three ingame days in and sprinted back home while looking for sailors in bars and it was getting late.

I love it!!! Feels like the perfect detective game!

Fuck hand holding, why aren't games like this anymore?

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I gotta be faded otherwise I'd get bored of all the waiting. I do really like it tho. I'm surprised there aren't more games like this.

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing, simply amazing. This world is so charming. Reminds me of those 80's japanese cartoons (Captain Tsubasa, Attack No.1, etc) I watched as a kid...this atmosphere is awesome. I love it.

Erevador

Oct 25, 2017
Three ingame days in and sprinted back home while looking for sailors in bars and it was getting late.

I love it!!! Feels like the perfect detective game!

Fuck hand holding, why aren't games like this anymore?
It's refreshing to LIVE in the world itself and take your cues from that, rather than following a waypoint or (worst of all) the GTA red line on the mini-map.

Crumbtiny

Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying it so far, but the time aspect of it stresses me out some. I worry I'm missing certain things or taking too long while exploring the world. Am I stressing over nothing? I probably am. I like everything about it though, even the English dub. It reminds me of Resident Evil and that era of games in general. I'm glad I finally get the chance to play these games, I can easily see why they have such a following.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Crumbtiny you are indeed stressing over nothing. Taking too long is nearly impossible, so take as much time as you need. While it's very likely you will miss some stuff, well it's rather unavoidable. You cannot see everything there is in one playthrough so don't stress yourself too much about it.

Oct 27, 2017
I've owned the Dreamcast version for 10 years now, and pretty much never touched it. Now that I'm playing this version, I wish I had played it earlier. Yeah the controls are pretty bad, and there's a few technical issues here and there, but overall I'm surprised at how much I've enjoyed it so far. I just got to the part where I'm looking for sailors, so I'm not too far, but I really like how relaxed it is. I just run around and figure out things at my own pace, and sometimes get distracted by other things.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised people call the controls bad. I took me 2 minutes to get used to it ^^
Just use the d-pad. It's not meant to be controlled with the stick (I guess?!).

And yeah...I'm one of those rare guys who love tank/oldschool controls because it doesn't fell like the game plays itself.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised people call the controls bad. I took me 2 minutes to get used to it ^^
Just use the d-pad. It's not meant to be controlled with the stick (I guess?!).

And yeah...I'm one of those rare guys who love tank/oldschool controls because it doesn't fell like the game plays itself.

In the DC version, you didn't control with the stick. The Dreamcast had one analog stick, and it worked like the right stick works. You HAD to play the original with the D-Pad (although there was an option that reversed the stick and the d-pad, but that just mean the stick also worked on digital controls)

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So I begin Shenmue II, roaming the streets trying to find a certain shop. I think, let me get some information by asking a few civilians as per usual. I stop some random dude in his tracks and get the option to ask him about it or about some local gang. So ofcourse I choose to ask about the shop.. I kid you not, this fucking guy says something like "Oh I know where that is, let me take you bro", and he phsyically leads me there, like what the fuck ? I soon come to realise this is a mechanic in the game.

Moral of the story - 10 minutes in, I love Shenmue II.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I begin Shenmue II, roaming the streets trying to find a certain shop. I think, let me get some information by asking a few civilians as per usual. I stop some random dude in his tracks and get the option to ask him about it or about some local gang. So ofcourse I choose to ask about the shop.. I kid you not, this fucking guy says something like "Oh I know where that is, let me take you bro", and he phsyically leads me there, like what the fuck ? I soon come to realise this is a mechanic in the game.

Moral of the story - 10 minutes in, I love Shenmue II.

have you gotten to the first fight yet?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With the guys who steal your backpack ? Yeah, the combat feels so much more fluid and satisfying. Felt so good being able to use all the moves I'd learnt over the course of the first game right from the get go.

awesome. Keep going, there is way more to do in Shenmue II than Shenmue I. Hong Kong is a way more interesting place than Dobuita.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
All you newcomers, get ready cause Shenmue 2 is much better than Shenmue 1. Keep going, prepare for some incredible moments and then join us in waiting for Shenmue 3.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When you finish Shenmue II, try to imagine waiting 15 years to know if you'd ever see more of the story. It was agony.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
The Shenmue III reveal legit brought a part of myself back to life that had long been dead and buried under a pile of cynicism and apathy. I used to roll my eyes and tell people to get on with their lives when they brought the game up.

I dropped like $300 on that Kickstarter right away lol.

And I'm already expecting Lan Di to evade justice for another 18 years when it's all said and done. W/e idc, I'm all on board.

Erevador

Oct 25, 2017
Do I really have to go door to door to find a specific npc? I mean, I can't read name signs before knocking and asking for men wearing black suits?
There's not much point in knocking on the houses of residents, though it's fun that the game lets you. You're better off talking to NPCs around town.

Feb 10, 2018
Kickstarter raised $6million for S3.
Does anyone know what the final raised budget was?
Did they get any more for development from sony or deep silver?

I wonder what kind production values we can expect from s3. Do people think it will be as rich and detailed as sleeping dogs or GTA5?

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Does anyone know what the final raised budget was

I wonder what kind production values we can expect from s3. Do people think it will be as rich and detailed as sleeping dogs or GTA5?
I posted some pages back but you can still fund the game till the end of this month it's at 7 mill btw

https://shenmue.link/order/?en

breakYODAy

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know what the final raised budget was?

They have these funding sources:

Kickstarter + Slacker Backer = $7 million

-and-

Unspecified amounts of funding from Deep Silver, Shibuya Productions, and Sony (marketing).

If I were guessing, I'd say total funding on the project is somewhere around $15-20 million.

Jul 10, 2018
With the guys who steal your backpack ? Yeah, the combat feels so much more fluid and satisfying. Felt so good being able to use all the moves I'd learnt over the course of the first game right from the get go.

Awesome man, that's just the tip of the iceberg. If you are enjoying it already then I think it's a safe bet that you will really love Shenmue II by the end.

breakYODAy

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder which area they will choose to save costs on.

We know for sure they've outsourced some NPC character modeling work to a company called Lakshya Digital. Programming is being helped with by Neilo Inc., which is run by Tak Hirai, who worked on the original games.

Otherwise, they seem to be keeping a lean crew of 45 core developers at YsNet, according to THQ Nordic investor slides.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Love this thread. It's great seeing the impressions of Shenmue newcomers.

I fell hard in love with this game back on Dreamcast, and I am STILL salty that Microsoft kept Shenmue 2 from coming out on Dreamcast in the US.

The game I actually compare this game to most is Majora's Mask. Now, they're not THAT similar but they have a similar wistfulness to me. That said, and this is maybe a weird way of stating it, but I think Shenmue is kind of like a weird time capsule of gaming's "romantic period."

And I love the english dub. It's so utterly charming, like everything else in this game.
I havent played shenmue since release, but I'm immediately getting majors mask vibes. Good ones.

Feb 10, 2018
We know for sure they've outsourced some NPC character modeling work to a company called Lakshya Digital. Programming is being helped with by Neilo Inc., which is run by Tak Hirai, who worked on the original games.

Otherwise, they seem to be keeping a lean crew of 45 core developers at YsNet, according to THQ Nordic investor slides.
With a team that size I dont see how it can be somthing that competes in production value of AAA games.

My guess is it will be similar to the first 2 but with updated controls and graphics.
The game world will be small like the size of vice city. With some towns being very detailed and the majority of the world being kinda bare and primitive by todays standards.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
With a team that size I dont see how it can be somthing that competes in production value of AAA games.

My guess is it will be similar to the first 2 but with updated controls and graphics.
The game world will be small like the size of vice city. With some towns being very detailed and the majority of the world being kinda bare and primitive by todays standards.
Is it even open world? I was under the impression that 3 had the same kind of structure as 1 and 2, with distinct areas that you progress through, not a single large open world

breakYODAy

Oct 25, 2017
Is it even open world? I was under the impression that 3 had the same kind of structure as 1 and 2, with distinct areas that you progress through, not a single large open world

Yu Suzuki has said the Deep Silver investment has allowed them to expand the open world aspects of the game to what he was hoping for. Before that, they were focusing on a more story based game.

There are 3 areas unique planned for the game: Bailu Village near Shenhua's House, Choubu, the port town featured in the latest trailer, and Baisha which features really cool cylindrical buildings. We've also seen an image of the Great Wall, so that should be in there at some point. Shenmue 3 should follow 2's structure, in terms of moving on to the next areas. It's not going to be a big map clumped together.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Yu Suzuki has said the Deep Silver investment has allowed them to expand the open world aspects of the game to what he was hoping for. Before that, they were focusing on a more story based game.

There are 3 areas unique planned for the game: Bailu Village near Shenhua's House, Choubu, the port town featured in the latest trailer, and Baisha which features really cool cylindrical buildings. We've also seen an image of the Great Wall, so that should be in there at some point. Shenmue 3 should follow 2's structure, in terms of moving on to the next areas. It's not going to be a big map clumped together.
Love the sound of that

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA

Source? Is it one of the Kickstarter post

breakYODAy

Oct 25, 2017
Source? Is it one of the Kickstarter post

It was an interview with Japanese site 4gamer done during Gamescom last year. Here's the translated version:
http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2017/08/4gamer-interview-with-yu-suzuki.html?m=1

Q: After the release date extension was announced there wasn't a lot that seemed to happen, so fans may also be relieved at learning about your partnership with Deep Silver.

YS: In fact, when I announced the change to the release date, the prospect of a contract with Deep Silver was looking promising. Since I made the decision to increase the game's scale and go with an open world, we had more to do and so the extension came about as a result.

Q: I see. So it wasn't due to the negative reason of development running late.

YS: No, the extension is for a pretty positive reason. In an open-world game, a certain quantity of physical things are necessary. When Shenmue III was at a stage prior to forming a contract with Deep Silver, it was slightly too cramped to be called open world.

Q: Through realizing a partnership with Deep Silver, you are "closer to the ideal" then, would you say?

YS: Yes. To demonstrate with a simple example: the number of NPCs in the second town you reach had been planned at 50 ~ 60, but after increasing the game's scale that number will now be around 200.