• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Irmavep

Oct 27, 2017
Premiering at Cannes, release date TBA.

a603ac531472f4c98b667fc36432a2ed.jpg

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Only recently learned he worked as an assistant to Otomo on Akira, which I thought was incredible and further cemented his talent.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the biggest losses to cinema the world over when Kon passed. I can't wait to see this but the final parts dealing with his death are going to be brutal.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
He was such an incredible talent. Hard to believe he's been gone for over 10 years.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I watched this earlier this year and was a neat retrospective, so I'm looking forward to updated interviews from creators about Kon and his legacy.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn it still hurts. One of the absolute masters of the medium, I can't imagine how much further he'd be pushing things if he was around today

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Kon is the absolute king

Perfect Blue is probably in the running for top 10 best debut films in history

Polynaut

Oct 27, 2017
His passing was a devastating loss, what a brilliant mind. Will definitely watch this.

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
Gone way too soon. I recently bought all his mangas - absolutely fantastic stuff. It's a joy to see his ideas and interests developing during these early works.

There's a lovely interview with Susumu Hirasawa in one of the volumes as well.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Introducing Kon's films to my partner has been a joy. We saw Perfect Blue in the cinema and watched Tokyo Godfathers last year and he loved both of them. Really need to watch Millenium Actress again as I've only seen it once and don't remember much of it now.

I've really enjoyed digging into his manga output as well. Opus is great, and there's a book of his super-early one-shot work called Dream Fossil that's very cool. It seems there's more, I'll have to stick those on the list...

Edit: Watched the trailer, yeah this might make me cry

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Introducing Kon's films to my partner has been a joy. We saw Perfect Blue in the cinema and watched Tokyo Godfathers last year and he loved both of them. Really need to watch Millenium Actress again as I've only seen it once and don't remember much of it now.

I've really enjoyed digging into his manga output as well. Opus is great, and there's a book of his super-early one-shot work called Dream Fossil that's very cool. It seems there's more, I'll have to stick those on the list...

Edit: Watched the trailer, yeah this might make me cry
I've had the same experience (+MA via a theatrical rerelease, though I also saw it during its initial theater run!). It has been immensely fulfilling.

Shrikey

Oct 27, 2017
Will be watching this one. I'm not a huge fan if anime, though I did have a stint in my teens and early twenties where I watched stuff like Evangelion, Samurai Champloo (never got into Cowboy Bebop), Trigun etc. but that kinda faded quickly. That said, if there's any anime I've legimately loved, since then, outside of Studio Ghibli, it's Satoshi Kon. I've yet to see Perfect Blue, but all the other features I've seen have been near flawless. And I remember Paranoia Agent showing up as a series that I actually enjoyed, after I'd pretty much stopped watching anime. The guy had one hell of a mind for visuals and storytelling. And it rarely, if ever, felt like it was relying on anime clichés.

Are there any other creatures or specific films I should be checking out that could scratch that Satishi Kon itch?

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Great trailer, excited to check it out. Love that Aronofsky is in this lol.

Also, please read Opus if you have not. One of his last works and it is just so powerful, sad, introspective. Highly recommended.

Are there any other creatures or specific films I should be checking out that could scratch that Satishi Kon itch?

I feel like Masaaki Yuasa is similar to Kon in many ways, at least in terms of how they view human connection. Check out Mind Game for a movie, or Tatami Galaxy or Ping Pong for a show.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I have seen a number of Satoshi Kon films and I have to say I didn't like any of them. I don't really get the appeal I suppose.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Will be watching this one. I'm not a huge fan if anime, though I did have a stint in my teens and early twenties where I watched stuff like Evangelion, Samurai Champloo (never got into Cowboy Bebop), Trigun etc. but that kinda faded quickly. That said, if there's any anime I've legimately loved, since then, outside of Studio Ghibli, it's Satoshi Kon. I've yet to see Perfect Blue, but all the other features I've seen have been near flawless. And I remember Paranoia Agent showing up as a series that I actually enjoyed, after I'd pretty much stopped watching anime. The guy had one hell of a mind for visuals and storytelling. And it rarely, if ever, felt like it was relying on anime clichés.

If you like Paranoia Agent, I would recommend Serial Experiments Lain or the Boogiepop Phantom series from 2000.