QBComics

Oct 25, 2017

YouTube link.

Steven Spielberg directs Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks in The Post, a thrilling drama about the unlikely partnership between The Washington Post's Katharine Graham (Streep), the first female publisher of a major American newspaper, and editor Ben Bradlee (Hanks), as they race to catch up with The New York Times to expose a massive cover-up of government secrets that spanned three decades and four U.S. Presidents. The two must overcome their differences as they risk their careers – and their very freedom – to help bring long-buried truths to light.

The Post marks the first time Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg have collaborated on a project. In addition to directing, Spielberg produces along with Amy Pascal and Kristie Macosko Krieger. The script was written by Liz Hannah and Josh Singer, and the film features an acclaimed ensemble cast including Alison Brie, Carrie Coon, David Cross, Bruce Greenwood, Tracy Letts, Bob Odenkirk, Sarah Paulson, Jesse Plemons, Matthew Rhys, Michael Stuhlbarg, Bradley Whitford and Zach Woods.

In Theaters December 22, 2017

Director: Steven Spielberg

Screenplay by: Liz Hannah, Josh Singer

Produced by: Steven Spielberg, Amy Pascal and Kristie Macisko Krieger

Cast: Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks, Alison Brie, Carrie Coon, David Cross, Bruce Greenwood, Tracy Letts, Bob Odenkirk, Sarah Paulson, Jesse Plemons, Matthew Rhys, Michael Stuhlbarg, Bradley Whitford and Zach Woods

the-post-poster.jpg

Not sure why Fox released this so late, but here it is!

Last edited:

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a bit of trouble getting over how everyone looks made of wax. I'm guessing they're trying to replicate older film-stock with digital cameras? But between the waxy look and everyone's accents, I'm a little hesitant.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I'm glad the lighting isn't super washed out like some of Steven's recent films.

Oct 25, 2017
Looks okay.

This feels like this will fill the category of most "oscar-y' movie in the Best Picture nominations.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
Ready Player One looks a lot more exciting.

Speaking of which, a new tidbit.

Spielberg is working closely with ILM on the massive number of visual effects for his next epic, '80s-inflected Ready Player One (Warner Bros., March 30), based on the 2011 Ernest Cline sci-fi novel, which wrapped principal photography a year ago. Spielberg said he spends three three-hour meetings a week going over visual effects with ILM.

"This is the most difficult movie I've done since Saving Private Ryan."

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/11/st...n-mendelsohn-arthur-miller-writer-1201895214/

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
This isn't Oscar bait. I think Steven is at a point in his life where he is genuinely drawn to these grandpa/history-buff subjects. It's kind of his thing now.

Anyway, the likes of Munich, Lincoln, and Bridge of Spies are preferable to Indy 4, BFG, and RP1. Fuck that.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't Oscar bait. I think Steven is at a point in his life where he is genuinely drawn to these grandpa/history-buff subjects. It's kind of his thing now.

Anyway, the likes of Munich, Lincoln, and Bridge of Spies are preferable to Indy 4, BFG, and RP1. Fuck that.

RPO is really gonna surprise people I think. Looks like Spielberg in prime blockbuster mode.

Chuck Noblet

Oct 27, 2017
Ready Player One looks a lot more exciting.

Speaking of which, a new tidbit.

Spielberg is working closely with ILM on the massive number of visual effects for his next epic, '80s-inflected Ready Player One (Warner Bros., March 30), based on the 2011 Ernest Cline sci-fi novel, which wrapped principal photography a year ago. Spielberg said he spends three three-hour meetings a week going over visual effects with ILM.

"This is the most difficult movie I've done since Saving Private Ryan."

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/11/st...n-mendelsohn-arthur-miller-writer-1201895214/
Ohh, now that is a neat tidbit. I felt almost like he would mail in the video game book to movie adaption, but glad he is passionately working on it.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
RPO is really gonna surprise people I think. Looks like Spielberg in prime blockbuster mode.
I guess so. I wonder what drew him to the story in the first place. The book is not great, but in a way it's kind of like another history project for him? And also a little restrospective, minus anything he was directly involved in. I think it's a very weird choice for him. Between RP1 and Indy 5, I'm a lot more curious about the next boring old man joint (not Indy, that is).

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
There's been rumors that The Post is having issues in the editing room (The Awards Circuit, a fairly reliable site also said that a test screening was a "disaster"). Considering how rushed into production this film was, it wouldn't surprise me.

But.... I personally recall rumors swirling around in early November 2005 that Munich was something resembling a mess and that Spielberg and Friends were struggling to put it all together as both a coherent and enjoyable film in the editing room. That film also had a super rushed production.

So basically I have hope. Spielberg's dramas are always pretty solid.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I was hoping the movie would be more about ground level journalism and less big historical takes, It looks like a very Spielberg movie, and he's rarely bad but I thought this would be more Spotlight and less Bridge of Spies' courtroom scenes.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Ohh, now that is a neat tidbit. I felt almost like he would mail in the video game book to movie adaption, but glad he is passionately working on it.
That's either passion or immense amounts of frustration. It reads either way, I've been in meetings over visual effects like that... "the cape should fold inward you dimwit! Fabric doesn't fold like that!"

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, as others have noted, it's super weird/cool to see Mr. Show appearing in a film like this. On the other hand the trailer just makes it sort of seem like a bunch of famous actors doing overdone accents for a Mr. Show bit.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It can both be Ocsar bait and something Steven is genuinely drawn to.

Heart_Attack

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Looks great. This has been a shitty year for movies overall, that any movie could end up winning Best Picture. There are no clear favorites so far.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly couldn't even finish the trailer. Something just doesn't feel right.

Hanks has some pretty huge shoes to fill after Jason Robards that's for sure.

Oct 25, 2017
Apart from this, I don't think there were any major movies this year that seemed oscarbaity to me.

The closet thing might have been The Disaster Artist.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Looks great. This has been a shitty year for movies overall, that any movie could end up winning Best Picture. There are no clear favorites so far.
What movies have you watched this year to deem it shitty?

Have you seen all these English language films?

Baby Driver
The Big Sick
Bitch
Brawl In Cell Block 99
Cameraperson
Colossal
The Death Of Stalin
Dunkirk
The Florida Project
Free Fire
A Ghost Story
Get Out
God's Own Country
Good Time
The Levelling
Logan
Logan Lucky
The Lost Ciy Of Z
Marjorie Prime
The Meyerowitz Stories
mother!
Personal Shopper
Prevenge
Raw

Not even mentioning all the great foreign films that would fight for Best Foreign Film.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like a poor man's Spotlight
If anyone is expecting another All The President's Men or Spotlight, you will be disappointed.

Via CJR:
But in an online interview, Hannah said that her script is primarily a character study of Katharine Graham.

The Post, Hannah told Asmara Bhattacharya of the website Final Draft—which describes itself as a "Cast & Crew Entertainment Company"—"is not a whistleblower film. It is not about, necessarily, the Pentagon Papers. It's about this woman [Graham] and how this event ended up being what changed her."

The Washington Post's initial coverage of the film does not mention the Times. Nor does the Final Draft piece. The latter does make clear Hannah's devotion to her focal point: "'She was a woman who had a voice,' marvels Hannah, her voice lighting up whenever she speaks of Graham. 'She stepped up and became the kind of person she would be for the rest of her life.'"

Oct 30, 2017
That bombastic music was completely at odds with what was actually going on in that trailer. You don't need thudding drums and loud horns to illustrate old people speed walking around.

Heart_Attack

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
What movies have you watched this year to deem it shitty?

Have you seen all these English language films?

Baby Driver
The Big Sick
Bitch
Brawl In Cell Block 99
Cameraperson
Colossal
The Death Of Stalin
Dunkirk
The Florida Project
Free Fire
A Ghost Story
Get Out
God's Own Country
Good Time
The Levelling
Logan
Logan Lucky
The Lost Ciy Of Z
Marjorie Prime
The Meyerowitz Stories
mother!
Personal Shopper
Prevenge
Raw

Not even mentioning all the great foreign films that would fight for Best Foreign Film.

And one of those are Best Picture material other than maybe Dunkirk. Like i said, a pretty shitty year.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
Spielberg dramas always have terrible trailers though.

Yall remember that awful Lincoln trailer?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And one of those are Best Picture material other than maybe Dunkirk. Like i said, a pretty shitty year.
Dunkirk and Get Out are favorites for Best Picture nominations that were released outside of normal awards season. The Florida Project is another that has big momentum in getting a Best Picture nomination. Detroit has an outside chance for a Best Picture nomination. Blade Runner 2049 is another film that has a good chance for Best Picture nomination but has lost a lot of momentum. The Big Sick has an outside chance of a Best Picture nomination. Battle of the Sexes has a decent shot at getting a Best Picture nomination. Last Flag Flying has an outsde chance of getting a Best Picture nomination. Even Logan has an outside chance of getting a Best Picture nomination.

You do realize Best Picture material type of films are normally released during the fall after circulating through film festivals for critics to see and/or to maintain momentum throughout awards season.

We still have: The Shape of Water, Darkest Hour, The Post, Call Me By Your Name, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, Lady Bird, Mudbound, Phantom Thread, I, Tonya, The Greatest Showman, All The Money In The World, Molly's Game, Roman J. Israel, Esq., etc...

This has been a fantastic year of films.

Last edited:

Heart_Attack

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Dunkirk and Get Out are favorites for Best Picture nominations that were released outside of normal awards season. The Florida Project is another that has big momentum in getting a Best Picture nomination. Detroit has an outside chance for a Best Picture nomination. Blade Runner 2049 is another film that has a good chance for Best Picture nomination but has lost a lot of momentum. The Big Sick has an outside chance of a Best Picture nomination. Battle of the Sexes has a decent shot at getting a Best Picture nomination. Last Flag Flying has an outsde chance of getting a Best Picture nomination. Even Logan has an outside chance of getting a Best Picture nomination.

You do realize Best Picture material type of films are normally released during the fall after circulating through film festivals for critics to see and/or to maintain momentum throughout awards season.

We still have: The Shape of Water, Darkest Hour, The Post, Call Me By Your Name, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, Lady Bird, Mudbound, Phantom Thread, I, Tonya, The Greatest Showman, All The Money In The World, Molly's Game, Roman J. Israel, Esq., etc...

This has been a fantastic year of films.

Seriously The Big Sick and Battle of the Sexes? You must be joking. The Florida Project while being a good movie, it will not get a single nomination. Detroit was a huge letdown. Blade Runner will win all the meaningless awards, but won't get recognized for the great film that it is.

Get Out was good, but it's so overrated.

And Yes i realize that all the Oscar Baity movies are released around this time. Thus why i claimed that this has been a shitty year for movies. There are no clear favorites, any movie can win it.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seriously The Big Sick and Battle of the Sexes? You must be joking. The Florida Project while being a good movie, it will not get a single nomination. Detroit was a huge letdown. Blade Runner will win all the meaningless awards, but won't get recognized for the great film that it is.

Get Out was good, but it's so overrated.

And Yes i realize that all the Oscar Baity movies are released around this time. Thus why i claimed that this has been a shitty year for movies. There are no clear favorites, any movie can win it.

There are no clear favorites, any movie can win it isn't an indication of quality either way.

Is it only films that can realistically appeal to the Academy for Best Picture that determines how good a film actually is and whether it was a good year?

Also understand that not everybody shares your opinion.