• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
"Console Exclusive"...

With Sega's recent push for PC ports, I may end up cancelling my preorder and just waiting for that, since I'm trying to ween off the console anyway. I wanna support the release since they're dubbing it, but...

Hmmm...

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Hmm, is it just me or does it look like Kenshiro's face is drawn but the rest of his body is a 3d render? Looks a bit weird. Would've preferred some artwork instead, the manga's got such a distinctive style to it.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hope this one releases on PC as well. I'd be down for it on PS4, but it looks like this is another "console exclusive." The same label Yakuza 0, Kiwami, and 6 have.

I'm not too sold on the logo design, but I'm glad this game is releasing overseas as I thought it wouldn't make it. Was there a verdict on the Japanese release?

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
"Console Exclusive"...

With Sega's recent push for PC ports, I may end up cancelling my preorder and just waiting for that, since I'm trying to ween off the console anyway. I wanna support the release since they're dubbing it, but...

Hmmm...
I was planning on buying this at launch but when the Yakuza PC ports got announced, I started thinking I'd wait for this to come to PC too since it's the same studio. And with how good Yakuza 0 is on PC, I'm even more inclined to wait.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, is it just me or does it look like Kenshiro's face is drawn but the rest of his body is a 3d render? Looks a bit weird. Would've preferred some artwork instead, the manga's got such a distinctive style to it.
Ditto, was coming in hoping for some nice artwork. Oh well, it's what I expect from video game covers anyways.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
You wa shock it's gonna be on PC too
I was worried they wouldn't bring this over. What's the pricing? Would be very bold to make this full price. Not that I don't think it deserves to be but they've been selling the spinoffs and remakes for $40 if I'm not mistaken

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
Imagine going with that over the Japanese box art. Imagine.

cd6.jpg

Haven't read Fist of the North Star at all (yet) but I'm a huge Yakuza fan and tempted to just jump straight in.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Vastly prefer the Japanese art, but hey, this one has uncensored gore so whatever. Time to plat the game... again! (time to curse the RNG item drops in the arena)

RyoonZ

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Better box art than Japanese one

cd6.jpg

Haven't read Fist of the North Star at all (yet) but I'm a huge Yakuza fan and tempted to just jump straight in.

LMAO a guy saving a damsel. This is 2018. So glad whoever approved the box art in the west has sensibility, great job whoever you are.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Didn't know that's the localized title. Not too bad I guess. They really couldn't tie it into the Yakuza series in the West given that name doesn't fit Fist of the North Star at all, while Ryū ga Gotoku can be manipulated to match as it did. But when they start the marketing they totally should mention "from the creators of Yakuza" at every opportunity to make the connection clear now the series has gained some traction here.

LMAO a guy saving a damsel. This is 2018. So glad whoever approved the box art in the west has sensibility, great job whoever you are.
I don't see any saving on that cover?

Also if the game's story is about that damsel getting saved (no clue of the game's plot myself, I've only watched the Fist of the North Star anime and while it starts off with a search and rescue for a woman it goes in cool places, I really really loved it overall, it's very unique and funny and even parodies tropes that were barely in effect at the time of its release, like it makes fun of its wannabe successors, it's way ahead of its time imo) then how is the cover at fault for putting it there lol.

Last edited:

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017

cd6.jpg

Yeah the jap cover is hot, also liked the Ryu ga Gotoku red circle in there. They deleted any Yakuza brand from the west release.

Last edited:

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017

I can understand disliking the sexist theme of it, but it is still a great piece of art and a way better cover than the ultra generic American cover.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Doesn't "Console Exclusive" just means that it is coming to just one console? (No Xbox or Switch)

If it meant that it was not coming to PC ever, the box art would say "Only on PlayStation".

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

Thats what im doing lol. I havent read or seen any of Fist of the North Star, but ive heard about it alot. Pretty excited to just jump in knowing next to nothing with this game.

Do we know if this is an original story, or a retelling of the manga?

OP
OP
mrmickfran

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
It's an original story that includes some of the best known moments and characters of the manga, but it's not an adaptation like the musous are.

If by all you mean almost none ;) The story heavily goes off in its own direction early on. Think of it as a "what if" story with some famous faces turning up for some badass boss fights along the way.
That's slightly disappointing but w/e, I'm in.

Jul 24, 2018
Someone else pointed this out but I also kinda dislike how they omitted the Yakuza-based blood smear from the logo.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That's slightly disappointing but w/e, I'm in.
Still worth playing for the combat alone. One particular boss fight midway in the game takes many notes from his manga appearance/weakness and its pretty much the best Yakuza boss fight in the entire series for me. Really, really great combat in the game. I do wish it could have followed the Manga story more, and been longer but I still loved what I played.

OP
OP
mrmickfran

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Still worth playing for the combat alone. One particular boss fight midway in the game takes many notes from his manga appearance/weakness and its pretty much the best Yakuza boss fight in the entire series for me. Really, really great combat in the game. I do wish it could have followed the Manga story more, and been longer but I still loved what I played.
Yeah, i would've liked a whole coverage of the manga, but the gameplay looks like enough for me.

OP
OP
mrmickfran

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
If you care about the manga's story, I recommend that you check out the Ken's Rage games.

I have a feeling Ken's Rage 2 will be delisted once this new one arrives in the West...
Eww, no. The gameplay in those are BAD lol
Think of it like another spin-off ala Ishin and Kenzan, where the prominent Yakuza characters are playing other characters akin to their own character quirks, it's easier to enjoy it then.
That has me more interested. I hope there's a Majima like guy there.

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne

Fair point and I understand why people would take offense at it. It's pretty representative of the game itself though, if the box rubs you the wrong way (which again I understand and is totally fair) then I doubt the game itself would be for you.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Does the game support the PS4 Pro at least? Dunno if I want to get this in October or wait for the eventual PC release. Y0 looks so much better in 4k.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Played through the Japanese import of the game when it came out, maybe only got about half way through though. It's really fun, the mini games are surprisingly the standout. The combat is also fun but the finishing moves can get somewhat repetitive. I may double dip for the localization and I'm glad it's coming to the West for all of us to enjoy.