• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
I could imagine Mike Flanagan making an okay low budget horror movie about this concept

Would work great for an enemy type in a video game. Imagine an army of shape shifters, and whichever one you're not looking at directly morphs from Eric Stoltz Mask people to Nosferatu and so forth.

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
I wasn't familiar with this thing, but that first video was *amazingly* effective, for me. I'd see these all-the-way messed faces in the periphery, glance over, everything looks cool, go back to middle, and everything is immediately messed up again.

What a strong illusion.

Edit: The only way I can describe it is that it was like the faces in the periphery were collage. Assembled from bits of different faces, cut out from photos. And a given face not 'updating' all at once, but part by part (albeit rapdily). Mind-bending stuff.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Learned about this some years ago. Wonder if there's any connection to people seeing demons during sleep paralysis because they often can't focus on the faces.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Now try this with Oblivion faces. Will they fall back to Daggerfall quality?

May 24, 2019
I bet everything in your peripheral vision is your brain vaguely approximating an image with limited information, but usually you'll have immediately turned your gaze to whatever you wanted to see before noticing any inaccuracy.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
When I stared at the cross, it gave me a ton of Oblivion NPC faces.

Am I okay or do studies say I'm normal and even non Bethesda gamers see it…
LMAO saaaame

I think the way they have to align the eyes leads to my brain over compensating the size/zoom changes to make features (eyes nose and mouth) take an extreme swing.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
I think I see what's happening, but it's not that terrifying as you can't really focus on the distortion. The second you look away from the cross it goes back to normal, so it's distorted but all in the peripheral so it's not super clear anyway. At least for me.

OP
OP
nilbog

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
What was this supposed to be doing?

I saw faces kinda like this one. Oblivion faces basically.

imrs.jpeg