• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
florida-man-slapped-with-143k-t-mobile-bill_hero_1800x800_v20240418141922.jpg

TAMPA, Fla. — Floridian Rene Remund and his wife toured Switzerland last September. But when they got home, their cell phone bill had jumped higher than the Swiss Alps
NH9gE7v.gif

Remund and his wife said they travel frequently and always notify their cell phone carrier before they leave the United States. In this case, Rene said he visited a T-Mobile store to share his travel plan. He's also been a T-Mobile customer for nearly 30 years.

"They said you're covered. Whatever that meant. You're covered," Rene said.

The couple took a trip that they described as magical. As they toured the countryside and spent time with family and friends, Rene said he never gave a second thought to the pictures and messages he was sending during their time away.

Shortly after returning home to Dunedin, Remund said he received his T-Mobile bill. He looked at it and thought it said $143. It wasn't until days later that he discovered the actual amount he owed.

T-Mobile charged him over $143,000 for using 9.5 gigabytes of data while overseas. Five to ten gigabytes is considered average for one month. But in this case, it was all roaming data which cost thousands of dollars each day of his trip.

Remund said he immediately called T-Mobile and waited on hold while a representative reviewed the charges.

"She gets back. 'No, this is a good bill," the representative told Remund.

"What do you mean it's a good bill?," Remund asked.

"Well, this is what you owe," the representative said, to which Remund replied, "You're kidding me?"

Rene then hired an attorney who wrote letters to the president of T-Mobile but got no response. That's when the attorney called ABC Action News for help.

We contacted T-Mobile's corporate offices. Days later, someone from the carrier called Remund and offered to credit his account for the entire amount.

T-Mobile told ABC Action News in an email:
We recommend our customers check the travel features of their plan, such as international data roaming, before departing.....if a customer is on an older plan that doesn't include international roaming for data and calling, they'll need to make sure they're using airplane mode and wi-fi when using data to be certain the device doesn't connect to an international network.

Remund told ABC Action News it was an absolute relief to no longer have to worry about a six-figure phone bill.
www.abcactionnews.com

Florida man’s trip overseas ends in sticker shock over $143,000 phone bill

Floridian Rene Remund and his wife toured Switzerland last September. But when they got home, their cell phone bill had jumped higher than the Swiss Alps.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
my parents drilled into my head for years that if i ever went to another country or on a cruise or sommit that i should turn my phone off and just use regular phones or hotel email to talk to people back home

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
also is anyone else seeing that catty faced fucking emoji in the first line there

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I would want to ask why didn't T-Mobile reach tf out when he started racking up a bill above $1k since it was strange, but I also know that they don't give a fuck and just saw dollar signs.

Fucking ghoulish. Not all people aren't aware they have to use international plans or buy services when traveling.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
What's crazy about this is the article says he went to the store to make sure he was on the right plan and they told him he was good lol

Store fucked up.

winjet81

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, mobile providers should be on this and once the first 100 MBs or so are used without a roaming plan, the tap should be automatically shut off with a notification going to the customer suggesting an upgrade to a roaming plan if needed.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I used to have to call AT&T to let them know I was leaving the country and add some "International Package" to my plan for the month but I believe now it's just automatic. Haven't had any issues in the last few years they kind of just know and adjust my bill accordingly and I don't have to worry about these ridiculous roaming charges like its 2007.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
"Florida man" being at the front of the headline ruined my ability to properly read it.

I thought it was telling me that a Florida man slapped someone with a phone worth $143,000.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what plan that person is on. I'm on an old Simple Choice plan and Switzerland is covered under the included International roaming.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My gut says that it doesn't even cost NASA anywhere near $15k per gigabyte to send data to and from the space station

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Years ago I was billed like $100 for less then 1mb of data roaming while in the US. Only reason it wasn't more is I was PAYG at the time and my balance zeroed out.

You better believe I changed providers right after that. I didn't even have a smartphone and did not use the internet during the trip and they could not explain where my non existent data use came from.

The international roaming agreements where they agree to gouge anyone who doesn't purchase a roaming plan should be illegal. They claim "it's not us, it's the international carrier doing it" and just leave out that fact they get a cut in exchange for collecting the bill. They basically agree to ripoff each other's customers and blame each other when customers complain despite the fact both sides profit off of this nonsense.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
... and then he paid an attorney to call ABC Action News.

I didn't know something like that could actually happen.
Everytime i roam i get an short message that clearly states if i pay for roaming, what i have to pay or not.
I see that isn't the case with contracts around the world.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
What plan is this man on? All the current T-mobile plans don't have overages. I've used 50GB for a month in Europe on more than a few occasions and I've never been charged extra.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Sometimes what happens is you are on some ancient plan and the mobile companies won't update it unless you trigger them. Found this out when both me and my girlfriend went on holiday and had the same provider and I got like 10GB roaming data free whereas she had to pay a cost for 100MB at a time.

After checking the plan we both had sim only and the same call/text allowances but mines had 30GB of mobile data with 10GB available in Europe and USA and she had 1GB at home and a charge per 100MB when roaming but my plan was £5 cheaper than hers. She called up and instantly they switched her to a new plan. She had been with them 20 years or so whereas I had been a year. These companies really don't give a shit if your plan isn't being updated to match newer deals. I wonder how many people out there just keep going with whatever basic plan they got decades ago without realising they are getting ripped off.

Berkut

Oct 25, 2017
my parents drilled into my head for years that if i ever went to another country or on a cruise or sommit that i should turn my phone off and just use regular phones or hotel email to talk to people back home

I just take out my sim card when I board the plan. Just need to put it in a super secure place

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO
WTF does "a good bill" even mean? Why word it that way?!
I know what you mean but I work AR and this is pretty typical for; it was charged correctly based on the rate, usage etc. therefore it is "good" and not charged incorrectly.

It's just billing lingo I'm sorry 😭 If I were that worker, I would be livid when I found out the branch didn't hold up on what they told a customer

Camp1nCarl

Oct 25, 2017
Like others said, it had to be a legacy plan because I used to have T Mobile as of just last year (Magenta Max) and international travel and service was relatively smooth.

But man oh man, T Mobiles US based service was just the absolute worst. I can't believe they are a large US carrier at all with how terrible it was for my fam the two years we were with them. I traveled all over the US, and no matter where I went on the newest iPhones the service was brutal. Terrible speeds, terrible actual service coverage and dropped calls/unsent texts all the time. Not surprised they pulled something like this, they have really gone downhill.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I just call forward to my Google Voice number before I leave and grab a data prepaid SIM card when I get to my foreign destination. It's drilled into me at this point lol.

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
Like others said, it had to be a legacy plan because I used to have T Mobile as of just last year (Magenta Max) and international travel and service was relatively smooth.
I have a T-Mobile legacy plan (Simple Choice), and it has unlimited roaming data. At 2G speeds, but it was unlimited. In fact, in a disturbing number of places the signal was better than my local sim card. I'm not sure how old of a legacy plan you need to go for T-Mobile to lack unlimited data roaming.

I think the plans that lack international roaming are the current cheapest tier of post-paid (the ones that do not include taxes and fees in the price quote)?

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
What the fuck? I switched to T-Mobile back in the mid 10s because their international roaming was absolutely unbeatable. They throttled you down to 2G speeds but it was unlimited basically anywhere you went, it was the absolute best shit for people who traveled a bunch. Has this changed?

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
What's crazy about this is the article says he went to the store to make sure he was on the right plan and they told him he was good lol

Store fucked up.

Yeah, I was expecting a story about someone who didn't know, just went on a trip thinking it would work. He did the right thing.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
When I was a teen I used my phone for roaming, mainly calls back home... not realising it was wracking up a huge bill. It's not life ending now, but at the time the couple hundred £££'s that it cost was terrifying. Even now that I have full roaming on my plan, it still terrifies me slightly.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
With esims these days unless your phone is old just buy some cheap eSIM online before you go wherever and you are set.

Ryhian

Jan 23, 2018
I had a large bill (nothing compared to the story) back in the day while I was on a cruise with my Sidekick with Tmobile. I forgot to turn off data and ended up with $700 bill once I got back. I wasn't even using it while on the cruise.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck? I switched to T-Mobile back in the mid 10s because their international roaming was absolutely unbeatable. They throttled you down to 2G speeds but it was unlimited basically anywhere you went, it was the absolute best shit for people who traveled a bunch. Has this changed?

No it hasn't. I think if anything, the fact that the person's plan was probably so ancient that it allowed this to happen is actually a good thing in the overall picture. It shows that if you're on a good plan, you can keep it and they don't force you off it. In general we should be glad this is allowed to happen rather than being forced on to newer plans. This is just a side effect edge case of an issue to an overall good thing.

With esims these days unless your phone is old just buy some cheap eSIM online before you go wherever and you are set.

I believe you can only do this if your phone is unlocked.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I used to have to call AT&T to let them know I was leaving the country and add some "International Package" to my plan for the month but I believe now it's just automatic. Haven't had any issues in the last few years they kind of just know and adjust my bill accordingly and I don't have to worry about these ridiculous roaming charges like its 2007.
Yep. I went to Europe last month and it was $15/day for my wife and I to use our phones with att. They will only bill for a max of 10 days so while it was a bit more than 2x the cost of getting local sim cards, it was well worth it for the ease of use.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. I went to Europe last month and it was $15/day for my wife and I to use our phones with att. They will only bill for a max of 10 days so while it was a bit more than 2x the cost of getting local sim cards, it was well worth it for the ease of use.

Huh? That seems super expensive to me. I just went to Japan and paid $17 per eSIM which pretty much was good enough for the entire trip and had 5G speeds. It also literally only took like a minute to setup on an iPhone too.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Nice thing with AT&T is it will automatically activate a $10 international pass where you can use your normal plan (incl data) but for that $10 fee. Definitely not something you'd want to do long term since that is $10 charged every day. Thankfully international eSIMs have become super easy to set up for trips using apps like Airalo and Ubigi.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Is this country specific? I'm on the legacy Simple Choice Plan and have used my phone for data overseas multiple times and never got charged extra.

TEEPO

Oct 25, 2017
must be a very old plan because t-mobile has had unlimited roaming in most of the world for over 10 years now

i even thought they forced legacy plans to upgrade recently?