• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
What is a food you just didn't like eating as a child, but as an adult, you can't get enough of it now?

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Indian food

Had some as a kid and hated how spicy and aromatic it was. Now I love it, easily one of my fav cuisines in the world

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Aubergine - I eat fried/roasted aubergine 3/4 times a week and makdous (Stuffed and cured baby aubergine around the same). Hated it pre 18 or so.
Olives - Hungry in an Italian place around the age of 18 and they gave them free with bread. Thought they tasted disgusting pre that, and now I can't imagine a pizza or most pasta dishes without them along with all the mezze.

Also all the brassica but that was half because back when I was a kid no one roasted them with salt and pepper/herbs and maybe some garlic. Lets boil and ruin them.

Feb 9, 2018
There's a few things I wouldn't touch as a kid but I tried as an adult and ended up loving them. Peppers (bell and mildly spicy), onions & scallions, mushrooms, honey mustard (still don't like regular mustard), and even fried eggs come to mind. Boredom led me to try new things, and some I ended up liking. There are some foods I still hate, though, including Lima beans and peas.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Mushrooms, the smaller, round, white/brownish ones. No idea what they are called in English but here we call them champignons.

kastanje-champignons-de-buurman.jpg

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I always thought chinese food was gross as a kid and I couldn't tell you why. I have no idea what I objected to

Grenlento

Dec 6, 2023
White rice.

I still don't like it (both taste & nutrition-wise), but at least I no longer hate it.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I will add bell peppers as above. I'd pick the fun (Spicy) peppers every time but as a kid I found them weird and a bit too sweet or weird. As an adult I can't imagine having Mexican/Tex Mex without them and they are fine in Middle Eastern dishes/Thai etc.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
Coleslaw and liverwurst.

Not together but like I'd always give the slaw I got at restaurants and stuff to my dad or grandpa growing up and I thought liverwurst was gonna be really gross cuz of the whole thing in cartoons and stuff where kids have to eat liver and onions and they treat it like it's basically a war crime to eat this stuff.

Then I tried them as an adult and like ????? No???? Coleslaw is awesome and liverwurst is great on sandwiches.

It was literally only a couple years ago that I tried and realised I like coleslaw btw.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
Plain potato chips. I always had to have sour cream onion , onion & garlic, salt vinegar or whatever. Now just give some plain UTZ chips and I'll finish half the bag in no time..

Jive Turkey

Oct 25, 2017
Asparagus. My mom overcooked it and served it with a mock hollandaise sauce. Vile.

My wife insisted asparagus was good, so I tried preparing it differently and whaddaya know... my mom just can't cook asparagus.

Resident Guru

Oct 28, 2017
Steak because my dad sucked ass at grilling. Now I grill prime filet mignon to a perfect medium rare and I fucking love it as does my family.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Onions, still not 100% on them, but I love French fried onions from a can, cooked down, and caramelized onions are great. I'll probably never warm up to raw onion, just something about the "bite" they have I don't enjoy on anything.

Sweet Potatoes. Loved them as a baby, but once I aged up I hated them. NOW, I love them again and roast some for grain and fish bowls almost every week.

Fish is another one I absolutely love now.

dphrygian

Oct 28, 2017
Texas
Broccoli, mainly. As a kid, something about the smell and flavor made me gag. Now I could eat a whole plate of it. I also didn't care for mayo or sour cream and now I think both are great.

Conversely, there's very little that I ate as a kid that I still eat these days. Partly a consequence of cutting way back on carbs and red meat and dairy, partly because I don't care for sweet things anymore but love spicy, acidic, pungent flavors.

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Seafood and mushrooms are the two big ones that come to mind.

I've discovered now too that you can develop a pallet later in life, so if I have a chance to have some of something people say is good all the time I'll have a little. Over time something just clicks in the brain so it's been good to really expand my tastes.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Mushrooms, olives, some vegetables.

The only thing I still despise is liver.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
Asparagus! Hated that shit forever. Even married I wouldn't eat it till a couple years ago. And it was amazing. Now I get pretty excited whenever we're having it.