• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Quentulated Mox

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 10, 2022
it was weird, i used to very much dislike banana peppers, hated their flavor, texture, the whole thing. then a couple years back, i was contemplating getting some food and it hit me: "i want something with banana peppers." like a switch was flipped in my brain, a thing i strongly disliked was suddenly a thing i craved

hasn't really happened with anything else, at least not to that extent. still hate mushrooms and bread and butter pickles

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I love Brussels sprouts as an adult, but I probably would have hated them as a kid… but I don't know, it's the one vegetable my mom refused to cook because she hated them as a kid. 🤣

Asparagus! Hated that shit forever. Even married I wouldn't eat it till a couple years ago. And it was amazing. Now I get pretty excited whenever we're having it.

Same.
I vomited up asparagus once as a kid when forced to eat it, now I can't get enough.

Asparagus… not the vomit.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Mushrooms, the smaller, round, white/brownish ones. No idea what they are called in English but here we call them champignons.

kastanje-champignons-de-buurman.jpg
Most people call them 'goombinos'

Repeat this fact to everyone you know

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
I used to hate dates when young because they look disgusting and they also look like beetles, which the insects I hate as well. My parents said they are sweet and delicious, but I still refuse to eat.

Once I reached adult, and I tried the dates; it was a mistake to not eat before because they are indeed sweet and delicious, but luckily I got to try and like them.

dates-for-skincare-hair-health-weight-loss.jpg

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
There are several that I still dislike greatly but the one I turned around the most on was asparagus. The asparagus that I remember as a kid can from a can and it was always a little slimy and not really that flavorful. Then as an adult I discovered other ways to prepare it and made all the difference. I love when it's grill time so I can throw some on the grill, a little salt, a little pepper, and a slight char is perfect.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Tomatoes, onions, and mushrooms. Mushrooms are probably my least favourite still but I do actively use them in dishes and eat them. I fucking love onions now though and (good) tomatoes are great too

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
broccoli. Couldn't stand it as a kid and now it's my favorite vegetable

mushrooms of almost any sort a close second

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, peas.

Mostly because my parents didn't really know how to cook them properly.

Oct 29, 2017
Broccoli, asparagus and onions. Parents never cooked them worth a damn, and once I found some recipes to try with my wife we both came around very quickly. Gonna do some burgers on the grill with carmelized onions on Sunday, can't friggin wait.

I did give mushrooms a shot later in adulthood for the same reasons I came around to the former veggies, but I still couldn't get past the texture, just icks me out. If they're hidden well in a dish I can get past it, but otherwise I exclude them altogether.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Kielbasa, because my Mom/Grandparents grew up boiling it. Once I had the chance to try it grilled as a senior in hs at a friends graduation party it was a life changing experience.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta be Broccoli salads in general and probably (Dijon) mustard.

On the other hand I hate: ketchup, dates, most potato chips, milk and yogurt.

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
Pork, because my only exposure to it was very overcooked pork chops.
Same here. Not just pork chops though. Basically everything.

My parents weren't too bad off but came from poor families so they were stuck in like some depression era menu. Everything from sides to pork and steak was the absolute cheapest (especially if it were on clearance for being out of date) and everything overcooked with 0 seasoning. Couldn't even have salt cause it could cause "high blood pressure." Vegetables consisted of the cheapest frozen variety mix which was boiled til it was super soggy and again no seasoning just a soggy mess. I was super skinny though cause I was so used to food tasting terrible I never had seconds.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, everyone else is right, mushrooms are another good one. As a kid I was like "grosssss, it's fungus!"
But now? Fill my ass up with that fungus.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Salads and vegetables.
I went vegetarian something like 8 years ago and have been vegan for probably 6 years.
Now I willingly put carrot in things. Used to live off steak and chicken parma but I don't miss them at all, I can still make vegan parmas though, and they very good.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Eggs. I don't LOVE them, but I do like them quite a bit every now and then.

I would say onions, but that has more to do with me discovering I like red onions and have always (and still do) hated raw white or yellow onion. I still have awful memories of there being chopped white onion on my McDonalds burger. It made it impossible to remove if they forgot to take it off. Raw red onion, though? I'll take that on most things if it's available.

Like really, McDonald's? Why you putting chopped onion on my burger. Just put easily removable onion slices.

Roasting vegetables definitely made me appreciate cooked vegetables more as well.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
Mushrooms, onions, mustard, spinach, tofu, pickles, fish, dark chocolate, egg yolk.
I could probably keep going and even add drinks like black coffee and grapefruit juice.
Honestly I might not even be the same person.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I will add mushrooms and because of a weird reason. Their was a BBC kids show which was like fact or fiction and they did a Humans evolved from mushrooms. Put me off until my mid to late teens.

notoracle

Aug 24, 2023
Burgers.
I'm honestly not sure what I hated about them, but I've found myself over the past 3 years loving them? Almost every pay week I order Five Guys, and I've earned the title of "Burger Slut" from my gf. They're simply good especially with an egg.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Broccoli, cauliflower, onions, cabbage, coffee, cheese, chicken pot pie, stew, dark chocolate

Macheezmo

Oct 25, 2017
Steak. My dad only ever cooked it well done and I hated it. Then when I worked in a nursing home kitchen, we did beef tenderloin for one of the Christmas parties. The kitchen was run by an actual chef so I took some mostly to be polite and it was one of the best things I ever tasted.

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't like chunky salsa when I was a kid. To be exact, I didn't like Pace Picante, which is what my parents always bought. Not a huge fan of Pace still, but can eat it, and learned that I actually do like chunky salsa once I tried some fresh ones.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of my food preference changes have been on the vegetable side.

Mushrooms
Asparagus
Brussel Sprouts

I wasn't a huge fan of Broccoli or Cauliflower either, but both are staples now. I still don't enjoy peas much for whatever reason, though.

Bengraven