signal

Oct 28, 2017
I was looking at some old gifs and remembered I had this 'original' non-Platinum Metal Gear Rising clip:

Another example might be the old Team Fortress 2 version:

What else 🤔

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
The first one that pops into my mind is the early version of Resident Evil 4. Even before this version of RE4 in the video, the game was supposed to have the Devil may cry gameplay, but they ended up scrapping that and making Devil may cry into its own franchise.

Edit:
Apparently, this was one of the first concepts of Resident Evil 4 before it turned into Devil May Cry.
USe_Y2bKtQ8u9YrvIswiw_HZbI5ONLBsjr7Fz_067co.jpg

Last edited:

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Borderlands before it became the jokey cartoon it is today:

Edit: And some gameplay

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Man that old footage of MGR looks awful lol. It was definitely carried by the novelty of cutting everything.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
OG Rising looks sooooooooooooooooooooo bad
Man that old footage of MGR looks awful lol. It was definitely carried by the novelty of cutting everything.
I don't think it ever looked that great, but in defense of the footage, I think the early times it was shown off was literally just demoing the 'cutting' of things and wasn't meant to be what the gameplay would be like. I think lol.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
I always find the early footage of Mass Effect really fascinating to watch - you can obviously see the dna of the final release, but some pretty notable changes:

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017

Rayman Raving Rabbids, when it was an action/adventure game instead of a party game. You'd fight rabbids with crazy moves, ride (or fly, or swim with) creatures and the Rabbids' vehicles to explore small open worlds, take on platforming challenges and free your friends from the Rabbids' captivity.

While this was a target render and not real gameplay, it's yet another Rayman 4 that was cancelled completely right before they tried to make Rayman Raving Rabbids, and then that got reworked into a party game.

We'll never get another 3D Rayman.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
29_hyper.jpg

No footage, but it'd be cool to see in motion Street Fighter V previz before it went back to cartoony for the actual release. Especially now that we know what 6 looks like…

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
The first one that pops into my mind is the early version of Resident Evil 4. Even before this version of RE4 in the video, the game was supposed to have the Devil may cry gameplay, but they ended up scrapping that and making Devil may cry into its own franchise.

I still want this version of Resi 4...

Still salty we never got this, even as a Spin-off, if the remake is using the designs it should also bring back Hookman
#JusticeForHookman

Yakumo Fuji

Apr 22, 2019
Aside from RE 3.5...

I always wanted this combo command based strategy system that the E3 trailer teased for FFXIII. (0:26-0:35)

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Looking at FF Versus XIII makes me sad but it's funny seeing how different it turned out

Cosmic A

Aug 18, 2018
GDC 2005 Spore was something out of my dreams. In the end it was ok but not what I wanted.

Oct 27, 2017
Bioshock Infinite's E3 2011 demo was effectively a vertical slice for the show that was entirely missing from the retail release. Had a lot of concepts that didn't make it to launch either, such as npc's triggering alarm systems and initially non-hostile crowds that the player could interact with. Hell in general, the demo came across as implying there would be far more ethical choices to make throughout the game compared to retail.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
DF retro did a great vid on Rare Dinosaur Planet which got delayed from being an N64 game and turn into Star Fox Adventures on the GC.

I don't think it ever looked that great, but in defense of the footage, I think the early times it was shown off was literally just demoing the 'cutting' of things and wasn't meant to be what the gameplay would be like. I think lol.
From what I remember, MGS: Rising got cancelled because KojiPro couldn't figure out a way to turn that cutting tech demo into an actual game and Revengeance was something Platinum made from scratch with the IP.

Macija

Aug 14, 2018

Bioshock Infinite was fine, but this looks way more complex, dinamic and interesting.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
More FF versus XIII stuff... I was always curious about this conflict
tumblr_njh63u3SlB1sk2xoko8_540.gifv

JordianKnot

Oct 27, 2017
I still want this version of Resi 4...

I'm so curious about this version of Re4. I absolutely love what we got, one of my all time favorites. But I've always been fascinated by the "Hookman" version. Especially because it seems to be a literal hybrid of classic RE style AND the over the shoulder style of Re4.

Are there any in depth videos regarding this version?

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Final Fantasy XV when it got announced and rebranded to XV from versus XIII

I lost count of how much content shown in the trailer was not in the final game, or was massively scaled down.

damn, even as someone who loves XV, this trailer still looks godly...though idk how some it would be possible in realtime. some of the combat looks jankier than the final game's

Jan 4, 2018
Perfect Dark Zero and its infamous development. Thanks god they didn't keep the cell-shading / cartoon direction.

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
Always love reminding people that we saw FF7 Remake Gameplay in 2015 at PSX when Cyber Connect 2 was still tied to it.

www.youtube.com

PlayStation Experience 2015: Final Fantasy VII Remake - PSX 2015 Trailer | PS4

https://www.playstation.com/games/final-fantasy-vii-remake/?emcid=or-1s-412983FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE – PSX 2015 TrailerThey are coming back to Midgar…www.f...
Couldn't help but peek in the comments because I'm feeling masochistic. One person points out this prototype had better art direction due to the way the characters (especially Cloud) look sickly, pale, and emaciated. And the green (instead of blue) filter reinforces that. I suppose it makes sense in the lore and backstory that things should look that way at this stage.

Can't fault the purists for dreaming. I prefer the good-looking character designs we got 😉

e: autocorrect fix

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Bioshock Infinite's E3 2011 demo was effectively a vertical slice for the show that was entirely missing from the retail release. Had a lot of concepts that didn't make it to launch either, such as npc's triggering alarm systems and initially non-hostile crowds that the player could interact with. Hell in general, the demo came across as implying there would be far more ethical choices to make throughout the game compared to retail.

Bioshock Infinite was fine, but this looks way more complex, dinamic and interesting.

This one still hurts. I want to play this alternate universe version of BioShock Infinite so damn bad.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Warcraft 3: The Roleplaying Strategy game, before becoming an RTS

Halo Wars. This one hurt me a bit because of how much base building had change.

elbageluno

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2022
youtu.be

Conker Twelve Tales/ Quest - All Gameplay Footage (Best Quality) [Cancelled Game] N64 Unreleased

Conker Twelve Tales/ Quest - All Gameplay Footage (Best Quality) [Cancelled Game] N64 UnreleasedSubscribe And Ring The Notification Bell: http://www.youtube....

Conkers Twelve Tales fucking FASCINATES me. Is there a good write up anywhere of how this game went from this to BFD?

The prevailing story with this one is that people were making fun of the game when they showed it at E3 or whatever. "Just another collectathon starring a cute animal character." So Rare went "hold my beer."

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017