• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
The away goal rule is completely arbitrary in my opinion. It seems to be predicated on the idea that scoring away from home is harder than scoring at home so an away goal should count for more. But you could just as easily say that preventing a team from scoring against you away from home is harder than preventing a team from scoring against you at home, so having fewer goals against you away from home should be worth more, and come to the opposite conclusion.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Away goals always felt like a deeply unfair way to lose a close tie, glad to see it gone. Not that penalties feels much fairer but I don't see any way around that

Jan 1, 2024
Midgar
The away goal rule is completely arbitrary in my opinion. It seems to be predicated on the idea that scoring away from home is harder than scoring at home so an away goal should count for more. But you could just as easily say that preventing a team from scoring against you away from home is harder than preventing a team from scoring against you at home, so having fewer goals against you away from home should be worth more, and come to the opposite conclusion.
I know what you mean, that's why it was invented initially especially in the old days it was much more tricky being away than it is now. I also think they came up with it because ET/penalties didn't exist, so they needed games to conclude without a coin toss.

But for me they aren't arbitrary. Each team knows they have 90 minutes to score more valuable goals. It's like a combo multiplier stack in a videogame or a stagger. During that period of time you do more damage to the enemy. Each team gets 90 minutes to do that. It's completely fair and adds an extra meta layer to the game mechanics. That's the angle I see it from.

Home/Away is arbitrary. They could change it to toss a coin before the first match to determine who chooses which match has the away goals (they would need a differnet name for it then if a team picks their home leg to be their "away goals" leg lol). Hope that makes sense.

Away goals always felt like a deeply unfair way to lose a close tie, glad to see it gone. Not that penalties feels much fairer but I don't see any way around that
I think it's fair because both teams know about it prior and each team has a shot at scoring them. Teams approached the ties accordingly.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
I absolutely hate these "banter" shows, complete over the top nonsense, all in the vain pursuit of getting something to go viral. Football for the TikTok generation.

This particular studio show is precisely engineered to produce the kind of banter and short-form viral content you are referring to.

I don't see any harm in it, but I cannot stand Carragher. He brings this pretentious and smarmy energy that just puts me off.
I rather take this format or "Inside the NBA" with of a mix of banter, stars and expertise talk over super serious talk shows like Doppelpass in Germany. And I'm definitely not the tiktok target gen.

Jan 1, 2024
Midgar
I rather take this format or "Inside the NBA" with of a mix of banter, stars and expertise talk over super serious talk shows like Doppelpass in Germany. And I'm definitely not the tiktok target gen.
Does Doppelpass go into the tactics and game mechanics properly? Here in the UK I feel like they talk about incidents mostly and any talk about gameplay is simplistic. That's why I love The Athletic tactics podcasts. It's like reading strategy guides of a deep battle mechanic of an RPG.

Oct 25, 2017
I know what you mean, that's why it was invented initially especially in the old days it was much more tricky being away than it is now.
My point is that even if it's tricker being away from home, why just pick the number of goals scored away from home as the thing you measure? It's surely also trickier to not concede away from home.

How is a 1-1 result away from home any more difficult than a 0-0 result? Surely keeping a clean sheet away from home should be something to be rewarded? (or equivalently, failing to score at home should be punished, if it's so much easier than scoring away from home)

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Away goal is a good idea (harder to score away from home in general) but the effect in the game was bad (teams played to exploit it too much, creating much more defensive and death 1st and 2nd matches as that was an important to keep the away goal advantage).
I believe the current implementation gives for more interesting and aggressive games as teams know that tie would mean extra time regardless.

Jan 1, 2024
Midgar
My point is that even if it's tricker being away from home, why just pick the number of goals scored away from home as the thing you measure? It's surely also trickier to not concede away from home.

How is a 1-1 result away from home any more difficult than a 0-0 result? Surely keeping a clean sheet away from home should be something to be rewarded? (or equivalently, failing to score at home should be punished, if it's so much easier than scoring away from home)
It's not anymore difficult inherently, but each team has knowledge beforehand that they get a special 90 mins to score special goals, so that's what makes it fair.
Away goal is a good idea (harder to score away from home in general) but the effect in the game was bad (teams played to exploit it too much, creating much more defensive and death 1st and 2nd matches as that was an important to keep the away goal advantage).
I believe the current implementation gives for more interesting and aggressive games as teams know that tie would mean extra time regardless.
For me the best part of away goals was the elimination of a draw scenario. That made games incredibly exciting. 1 goal swings a game from winning to losing, or from losing to winning.

dqslime

May 5, 2023
that what's happens when your starting 11 have play more than 25 games and 6 of them have play 30+ games this season.
as a comparison its 7 & 2 for Man City
No one can compete with City when it comes to depth, yes. However, it's been a few years with a ton of money invested in Arteta's squad, yet it feels there are no subs for his first eleven that he trusts (though some in the bench got new contracts).

Last edited:

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
The new contract for Nelson in particular was such a stupid mistake, a shame the move for Raphinha didn't work out, he's exactly what the team lacks at the moment

Jan 1, 2024
Midgar
FA Cup replays scrapped. Not happy that English Football traditions scrapped due to the whims of foreign managers complaining about them. Also UEFA at fault for increasing number of CL games.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
I think there were pluses and minuses with the away goal rule. One absolutely dumb thing was that it carried it over to the extra time.

Oct 25, 2017
Dundee, Scotland
I'd take Nico Williams in the summer. Gyokeres, Zubimendi, Williams, and a proper left back.

That's got to be close to £200m, think you might need to lower your expectations.

The manner of the exit last night was the biggest disappointment, with a whimper not a bang.

Building a squad takes time, unless you are Chelsea. Can understand the frustrations, but we need to give Arteta more time.

dqslime

May 5, 2023
I'm not an Arsenal fan but my worry would be that Arteta has had three and a half years and he's rarely shown the desire to rotate key players. Summer window will tell if he's changed his mind.

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Sucks for smaller clubs. But of course, nice news for the "Big Six".

Only if their replay was going to be televised. Just look at the highlights from this season where a lot of replays were played in front of mostly empty stadiums with the reserves playing because promotion or staying in the league was more important.

TheBee

Oct 18, 2023

Ferguson won 2 in 26 years at United despite managing a United team which was even more dominant than City and who were one of the richest clubs in the world.

The CL is hard to win for any club (except for Real…) or manager. Pep still up there though…

IMG-9783.jpg

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
If you wanna wear the conspiracy hat. The reason Ferguson wasn't as successful in Europe compared to back home was that the european refs weren't scared shitless of him like the Premier League refs were.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
I don't know, there were at least 155 potential cheating charges in that game where United ended Arsenal's unbeaten streak…

youtu.be

Mike Riley

He should be ashamed. Mike Riley ends Arsenal's unbeaten run in the 2004/5 season.
bald fraud built his legacy on paying refs and getting caught

youtu.be

Chelsea vs Barcelona 2009 the SHAMEFUL Match that shocked World of Football

Blue Devil’s family, Chelsea’s family. All things The Blues for a true Blue Devils fans!iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1312160182CH Play: https://play.g...

syndication.bleacherreport.com

Barcelona Charged with Suspected Bribery for Over €7M in Payments in Referee Scandal

Barcelona is being charged with suspected bribery for allegedly paying more than €7 million to companies linked to former refereeing committee vice president…

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, there were at least 155 potential cheating charges in that game where United ended Arsenal's unbeaten streak…

youtu.be

Mike Riley

He should be ashamed. Mike Riley ends Arsenal's unbeaten run in the 2004/5 season.
Yes, this was almost certainly the most corrupt game the Premier League has ever seen. Just shocking and shambolic from start to finish.

Still, Ferguson potentially intimidating refs is nothing compared to the shit City have been getting away with.

Guardiola has always been dodgy as fuck.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/TranmereRovers/status/1780983443968373075

Tranmere Rovers condemn the disgraceful decision taken by The FA and the Premier League to change the format of the FA Cup, including the scrapping of replays. There was no consultation with Football League clubs, National League clubs or grassroots clubs to whom the competition represents not only their best opportunity to create life-long memories for supporters but also a hugely important source of income. We also understand that FA Council members were not consulted about the changes. The decision, and the way it was taken, demonstrate a total lack of respect for the football pyramid and its fans. Football belongs to all of us and decisions should not be taken in back room deals in which only the very wealthiest clubs are allowed to participate. It is yet another eloquent example of the 19th-century governance that means that football simply cannot regulate itself and needs the Independent Football Regulator to have real teeth. We condemn the changes wholeheartedly and urge The FA to suspend them immediately until all stakeholders in the game are properly consulted.

HanzSnubSnub

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, we were frazzled. Arteta is a great coach but probably the biggest thing he needs to improve is squad management. He doesn't rotate nearly as much as he should do, even when we are winning games comfortably. Thus you have situations where Saliba, Saka and too many others are playing pretty much every single game.

He renewed Nelson's contract in the summer. Why has be barely played him? Partey has been fit for a while now yet has played like 10 minutes.
Definitely. This whole season I have been hoping for more rotation to allow some players rest, and also to train up the bench players for higher intensity games. Fabio Viera, Smith Rowe, Nelson, etc. are all decent players. But Arteta really only plays the same 14 or 15 players out of a 20+ squad, even when everyone is fit. Arsenal have so many players who are over 3000 minutes this season already, Saliba alone is almost at 4000 minutes.

In the last week though after watching how tired the players were against Aston Villa and Bayern, I've given up hope for rotation. Arteta clearly doesn't trust any of those players. Fine, but then you better sell them all this summer and buy some players you do trust.

Bjorn

Feb 11, 2018
Denmark
Ref trying to book Martinez during the pens but somehow regrets because he was already on a yellow. Shambles. Card was even put.