Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
Disappointing to draw after being 3-1 up so close to the end. Doesn't really mean anything for us granted.

Klopp's last game will be emotional.

Oct 27, 2017
Still can't fucking believe we're relying on Tottenham to help us win the title. It's wrong wrong wrong and cheering on Spurs is a dark step we cannot walk back from.

That said.

4772795__e188297988ce060ed77289f0d306731a.jpg

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
even on their current run, don't see Palace beating Villa. i'm still happy if the guys go on a walkabout tomorrow night

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
even on their current run, don't see Palace beating Villa. i'm still happy if the guys go on a walkabout tomorrow night

Could get quite crazy if you're drawing late on and pushing for the win since you need to win and you're quite open normally imagine the potential counter attacks for Man City.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Watching youtube and while arsenal might not win the league, seeing Tottenham fans suffer and ridicule themselves over arsenal is the most funniest thing ever.

I've already resigned myself to Man city winning. Arsenal MIGHT get lucky but don't count on it. Just take today's game as a fun game unless spurs get in a winning position...cause i'll be sweating buckets then..

Oct 27, 2017
Watching youtube and while arsenal might not win the league, seeing Tottenham fans suffer and ridicule themselves over arsenal is the most funniest thing ever.

I've already resigned myself to Man city winning. Arsenal MIGHT get lucky but don't count on it. Just take today's game as a fun game unless spurs get in a winning position...cause i'll be sweating buckets then..
A lot of Arsenal fans are hyping up Spurs taking points but I know City will score within 2 minutes and bury the dream very quickly lol

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
It'll be the most spursy thing they can do.. Play mid most of the time but when they face city and their possession based football, they suddenly wake up and score goals.
For me, the Spursiest thing they could do would be to play amazingly, be 1-0 up in the 89th minute before throwing the game with two stupid mistakes. Their fans rejoice at Arsenal's suffering and are taking the piss all week, then Man City lose to West Ham and Arsenal win the title anyway. That would be peak Spurs, but it's even less likely than the basic "Spurs beat City."

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
the thing is I wouldn't even be surprised if we win tonight, hand arsenal the title, and then lose to sheffield united next week. would be peak spurs behaviour.

if we are going to lose tonight (which I'm sure we will), I want it to be in the most soul crushing fashion for arsenal fans. 1-0 up in 96th minute, then concede twice. that kind of thing. misery loves company.

Oct 29, 2017
I saw Ange's comments on it and I'm inclined to agree.

I think the whole 'lets throw the game' mentality is understandable from terminally online fans who'll have to avoid twitter, reddit, or whatever, but the idea you'd expect professional athletes or fans who watch every week (without having to suffer too much social media discourse) would rob themselves of Champions League football to stop Arsenal winning a title when they'll probably be up there again next year too, is a bit silly.

The only win-win here is that you either win, and get to claim you're great, fight for Champions League football or, you know, you lose and then pretend you had any choice in losing when the reality is that the team lost because they lost, and City are very good.

Also, Arsenal still need to play Everton. Its arrogant for any fans of the club to assume its 'nailed on' if City lose or draw. Sure, Arsenal would be favourites, and this would be a lot of hope and put Arsenal in pole position but its not a certainty until the final whistle blows. Especially with how poorly the team played at Old Trafford.

Jan 1, 2024
Midgar
I think the whole 'lets throw the game' mentality is understandable from terminally online fans who'll have to avoid twitter, reddit, or whatever, but the idea you'd expect professional athletes or fans who watch every week (without having to suffer too much social media discourse) would rob themselves of Champions League football to stop Arsenal winning a title when they'll probably be up there again next year too, is a bit silly.
If Chelsea were in the position of having a win hand Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs or QPR the title, I would happily sacrifice Champions League qualification to not see those teams win the league.

Oct 29, 2017
If Chelsea were in the position of having a win hand Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs or QPR the title, I would happily sacrifice Champions League qualification to not see those teams win the league.
You wouldn't be handing them the title, you'd be putting them in pole. There's still work to do. I just really don't get the feeling of ever actively rooting for my team to lose. I get thinking 'well, at least' after you do, but I'd never sit there and watch my team going 'lose, lose, lose' and I don't really understand that mentality.

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Also, Arsenal still need to play Everton. Its arrogant for any fans of the club to assume its 'nailed on' if City lose or draw. Sure, Arsenal would be favourites, and this would be a lot of hope and put Arsenal in pole position but its not a certainty until the final whistle blows. Especially with how poorly the team played at Old Trafford.
I don't think any Arsenal fan would assume it was a sure thing, we've had enough bad games against Sean Dyche for that, it's just the knowledge that it's in your own hands

Jan 1, 2024
Midgar
You wouldn't be handing them the title, you'd be putting them in pole. There's still work to do. I just really don't get the feeling of ever actively rooting for my team to lose. I get thinking 'well, at least' after you do, but I'd never sit there and watch my team going 'lose, lose, lose' and I don't really understand that mentality.
Actively wanting your team to lose is obviously weird. But that's part and parcel of football culture the World over. Schadenfreude is as much a part of football as supporting your own team.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think any Arsenal fan would assume it was a sure thing, we've had enough bad games against Sean Dyche for that, it's just the knowledge that it's in your own hands
It wasn't necessarily directed at anyone here, or anyone sensible. Nor is it really exclusive to Arsenal fans. Though i'm sure some of that is the banter merchants getting excited for who they can misattribute the word 'bottle' to once this has all blown over.

Actively wanting your team to lose is obviously weird. But that's part and parcel of football culture the World over. Schadenfreude is as much a part of football as supporting your own team.
I think its totally fine if the point is 'if we lose, I'm not going to run away and cry about it', but the idea of watching my team and wishing for a loss, eh.

And for the point on schadenfreude, yeah, its sometimes the best part of football. Watching the collapses this year of Chelsea and Untied has been hilarious - much as Chelsea have tried to ruin our banter by going on a good run of form since being slapped about by Arsenal - Spurs... uh, spursing up the last few weeks, also funny.

But for that schadenfreude to take priority over your own team. I think thats maybe the fault of social media and the constant wheel of 'online banter' and people being more involved with what people online will say.

Teams win titles. If you're a fan of a top club, especially in England, your hated rivals (except Spurs) will probably win something, sometime.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017

I understand schadenfreude, but Arsenal fans expect City to win anyway. It's not the own they think it is and it comes off a bit pathetic.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
Even if City draw tomorrow it's very much not over; that 3 goal difference is something that absolutely could be overturned

Oct 29, 2017
Huge WSL news, really great to see this happen. I'd imagine Chelsea would follow eventually.

That'd be the CL Groups (if Arsenal qualify) and 8 out of 11 WSL home games. CL knockouts would be added too and they say other cups will be played at Boreham Wood but I'd imagine a big fixture against City, United, Chelsea, Spurs, etc... would potentially get to the Emirates too, calendar permitting.

View: https://x.com/ArsenalWFC/status/1790306320173695418

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
A lot of Arsenal fans are hyping up Spurs taking points but I know City will score within 2 minutes and bury the dream very quickly lol

Liverpool fans (and United too I guess) know from personal experience that this isn't the way it pans out, they will turn the game around in the most annoying way possible.

I will never forgive Villa for blowing the 2-0 lead a couple of seasons ago

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
He's had a lot of injuries. He had 95 league appearances in his last 3 seasons at Real Madrid, compared to 67 for United. Brutal really.
We need to stop buying Madrid's cast offs. It never ever works. Both great players but both basically clapped out at 31/32.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't give much of a shit about stopping Chelsea winning the league or not, that's such a D tier rivalry

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Actively wanting your team to lose to disadvantage a rival? Couldn't be me.

Not caring too much if your team loses when that disadvantages a rival? Yeah that's fine.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
This one is quite a unique situation though. If Spurs win or draw and Arsenal go on to win the title it will still be remembered years from now. With Klopp leaving and Guardiola potentially in a year or two, Arteta getting one over the line this year could really set them up for the foreseeable future. Obviously, this match is just more than one game in isolation. If Spurs really wanted top 4 they could have already turned up at home to Arsenal or Chelsea, Liverpool or Newcastle away.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
honestly I wish I wasn't a spurs fan so I could enjoy this situation more

It's such a fascinating scenario really. 37th match of 38, arsenals arch nemesis against their lone title rival to decide who is in pole position for Sunday

it's hilarious how much internal conflict among people it's causing:

Arsenal fans wanting spurs to win
Some Spurs fans either wanting their team to lose or not being bothered by losing just to spite Arsenal

I'm genuinely wondering what the sentiment will be if spurs play well and win. Normally it'd be a good thing, right? who cares about other teams, take care of your own business

But with how tribalistic and terminally online football fandom has gotten, I'd have to think that spurs will actually get bantered more if they win compared to losing, lmao

I actually genuinely have no fucking idea what I want. All I know is I always want Spurs to win, but I also don't want to be responsible for giving Arsenal the title advantage

Can we just not do this again after tonight