• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Appearence/idea means I will try the character first. Then if I manage to do the specials and then if I will get good

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
The biggest buffest beefcake usually has the command grabs so appearance and moveset tie together for me harmoniously

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's some mix of both for me.

Like if the coolest looking character in the game is the least fun to play, I'm not going to play it. I actually want to enjoy myself while playing.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
When I start a new Fighting Game I gravitate towards choosing based on Presentation mostly, both Visually and Audio, and then towards Gameplay as I better understand the mechanics and know what I'm looking for.

If the game is not an original IP and is based on something established that I already know and love, like Dragon Ball FighterZ, than my initial efforts are to try to make it work for the Character I like based on existing knowledge unrelated to the game (Visuals, Audio & Story background).

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
First picks based on appearance

Then eventually I just try all characters and stick with the moveset I like

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
1st - Appearance
2nd - Playstyle
3rd - Story

After I've played them for a little bit all of that converges into 1.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Get you a girl who can do all 3.

sf3_char_makoto.jpg

Nakadai

Jan 10, 2018
Robert Garcia (Art of Fighting), Stun (Bloody Roar), Black Lotus (Bushido Blade), Brad Wong (Dead or Alive), Freeza (Dragon Ball FighterZ), Kim Kaphwan (Fatal Fury), Faust (Guilty Gear), Black Adam (Injustice), Blue Mary (King of Fighters), Zantetsu (Last Blade), Silver Samurai (Marvel VS Capcom), Noob Saibot (Mortal Kombat), Jack (Power Stone), Genjuro (Samurai Shodown), Siegfried (Soul Calibur), Sagat (Street Fighter), Heihachi (Tekken), Lau Chan (Virtua Fighter).

I like old dude characters, not much more of a bias I can see than that.

Neptonic

Oct 25, 2017
Tucson, AZ
Style and Ease of use is my go to for choosing a character.

I'm a Big Band in SG, Sakura in SF, Android 16 in DBFZ, Johnny in Xrd, and Captain Falcon in SSB main. It's all about the style points

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Appearance will usually be what gets me to try a character out at first but the moveset is definitely what determines whether or not I'll stick with them. I always liked Chun-Li for example but could never really figure out how to play her proper in older games so she was never a character I mained. Finally switched to Chun as a main in SFV because they simplified some of her moves.

Oct 28, 2017
For me it's all about "how good am I using moves and techniques from Street Fighter 2?"

That is why I like Tekken so much, half of Kazuya's best moves overlap with Ryu's button presses.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I think every character I've ever latched onto in a fighting game has been almost solely on their appearance/design. I've just been lucky in that the ones who appeal to me generally have fun, accessible move sets. The only character that's been an exception was Akira in Virtua Fighter. He's complicated as fuck!

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
First thing is always how they look. Like Rufus in SFIV, Necro in 3rd Strike and now Parker in Pocket Rumble. Once I get a feel for the game I generally switch it up and gravitate toward some other character for the moveset.

I'm not interested in the story.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
M. Bison for me.

He has it all for me in V. Total badass. I tend to pick characters based on their animations, and personality. Pref evil ones.

Jun 6, 2018
As someone who only plays traditional fighting games very casually I usually just pick which ever female character is the cutest or most skimpily dressed. I never invest enough time into those games for the mechanical differences to matter much.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Apparence and moveset.
For example,i don't play characters with "charge moves" (Guile etc),because i am very bad with them.

El Sabroso

Oct 25, 2017
Monterrey, MX
depends

if the game offers characters to my licking based on design, I pick them right away and test

if not, or the character got too much complicated I search characters based on mechanics and gameplay

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Appearance mainly. Moveset comes second. I lean towards female characters (the more lewd they are the more likely I will play them). I also like to play low tier characters, I don't like to play what is popular(high tier) or what everyone else plays.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I cant even imaging forcing myself to play a character that's just not fun to use just because they look attractive sexually or whatever. You think people played Pudge in DotA because hes pretty?

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Appearance and playstyle. I somewhat gravitate to villains.
Legs is a bonus.
images

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Cv4aXA8VMAAgcQl.jpg

if they're cool as shit I main
Let me tell you, I only main the coolest characters, the best characters, and everyone knows it
Ibuki
Nu-13
Noel Vermillion
Lili
Karin
Maxi

fugg a shoto
fugg a charge character
and motherfuck a stance character (they're usually cool but fuck stances)

Vlaphor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Topeka, KS
Appearance. In Soul Calibur games, I main Ivy, in DOA I generally main either Rachel or Tina, in KOF I main Mai and two others who aren't Mai.

I'm very picky in who I choose.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
90% aesthetics, 10% moves. Generally I play the coolest girl. If she's high execution or weird and I don't like playing her I may play another cool girl.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Appearance mainly. Moveset comes second. I lean towards female characters (the more lewd they are the more likely I will play them). I also like to play low tier characters, I don't like to play what is popular(high tier) or what everyone else plays.
I do the same thing sometimes. Whenever I hear a character is trash or weak, I'm like "fuck you guys. Y'all just suck." Then I go and try to play that character the best I can. So far I have decent results. But I still stick to my mains most of the time. I'll be with Xianghua in SC6 regardless of where she ends up in the meta.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
For almost all fighting games, appearance and lore matter quite heavily. Though if a character's playstyle REALLY suits me, then I'm willing to look past the first two for it.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I'm all about that low tier life. Owning people with bad characters adds an extra layer of accomplishment to fighting games you'll never experience if you stick to the OP, overused characters. Very often they are my actual favourite designs, too!

Rodan

Nov 3, 2017
My first main was Reptile, so now I gravitate towards similar characters. I like a mix of zoning, cloaking, grappling (Thunder is my KI main, I find them quite similar). I also like more obscure characters, less commonly picked.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Appearance is very important. If I like the visual design (and personality) I'll make the moveset work even if it might not suit me at first.