• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you buy an accompanying Switch "Mini"?

• Yes, sign me up!

Votes: 59 22.6%
  • No, the size is fine as it is for travel!

Votes: 103 39.5%
  • Why would I want this?!

Votes: 99 37.9%

• Total voters

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
To start, this isn't something to replace the main device, I like the big screen too much and i'm sure power wise it would take a hit which we don't want, this would be an accompanying device that should you want or desire one, you can purchase separately. A much, much smaller device for travel use. An in-between the GB Micro and a new DS sizing wise.

I'd say for a lot of us, who play Switch majority as a portable gaming device, there is one thing I will say is that... it isn't really portable for travel use. Switch is fantastic for a flight but it sure takes up space if you only have a carry on. A simple train commute, again, it feels far to cumbersome and needlessly to play on packed train. What I would love for travel is a smaller version, a switch mini that can, yes even fit in a pocket.

So flaws, im sure the battery wouldn't be the best, the resolution would have to be worse (tho on a smaller device this shouldn't matter too much) and may not be comfortable for long play but the idea of a quick get out and play device really appeals to me and my lifestyle.

So what you say Resetera, is there a want for this or no?

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I'd love a switch lite 2 that is actually a switch and includes an oled screen.

That said any smaller and you've lost me, in 2024 in not trying to use a GB Micro.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
The spec of the device would likely limit the possibility of this happening, at least at launch.

As for if I am interested, I bought a Switch Lite at launch and ended up selling it. The idea of a more portable Switch sounded cool in my head but I don't really game when I'm not at home and at that point I prefer a bigger screen.

I also recently tried to use my Vita and the screen size seemed small. My eyes have already adjusted to bigger screens.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love a switch lite 2 that is actually a switch and includes an oled screen.

That said any smaller and you've lost me, in 2024 in not trying to use a GB Micro.
I'm the opposite, I want a SMALLER Switch. Like ideally if you could a switch down to the form factor of a GBA 001 or like a 3DS cut in half, it would never ever leave my purse.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I'm the opposite, I want a SMALLER Switch. Like ideally if you could a switch down to the form factor of a GBA 001 or like a 3DS cut in half, it would never ever leave my purse.
A year or two ago I'd have agreed but going going back to the ds lite/gba sp recently for some old Pokemon and then trying things like the analogue pocket made me realize that these just aren't ergonomic for my hands personally, but options are great so if they can do it and other folks want it I'm all for it.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
My issue is text size. There's really no native scaling for text sizes in games so smaller handhelds that are designed to be played on TVs are very difficult to read for me.

This is my issue with the Switch Lite. I like the portability but Switch games are designed for TVs and unless the game developers implement text scaling themselves, the screen is too small to read for me.

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
No. I've got a Switch Lite, but my increasingly bad eyesight for looking at things up close is stopping ne from getting small handhelds going forward.

Sep 29, 2019
I personally never had problems with the size of the Switch for travelling, what i think mostly sucks is that due to the fact it is pretty much all plastic, it scratches very easily, which sort of forces you to buy a screen protector and a carrying case to prevent it. Years of carrying it around in my bag (which the Switch mostly shares space with notepads and papers, at most) have made many scratches in the casing, unfortunately.

But size wize? I think it's great. Has always fitted nicely in all of my bags.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
how about a larger non mobile version

Frominstallbase,
rH0P7Oe.jpeg

Why they dropped out of the stationary market and have no interest in going back is self explanatory. Nintendo's handhelds have always been their reliable success stories, and their dockable handheld is in the running to become the best selling device ever, so no, they're not going to go back to stationary devices where only the wii out of all of them in their entire time in the industry even got to their worst performing major handheld.

NSESN

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, and please be more portable than switch lite, something about psp size would be perfect, that or clamshell

Harmen

Aug 30, 2023
For me it would not work, mainly for these two reasons:

-Viewing experience for modern games, GB games had much biggers font sizes and readability; Switch OLED is a sweet spot for many Switch games to my eyes)
-Hand ergonomics

But I hope they will for the people that want a mini/micro Switch!

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Frominstallbase,
rH0P7Oe.jpeg

Why they dropped out of the stationary market and have no interest in going back is self explanatory. Nintendo's handhelds have always been their reliable success stories, and their dockable handheld is in the running to become the best selling device ever, so no, they're not going to go back to stationary devices where only the wii out of all of them in their entire time in the industry even got to their worst performing major handheld.
Yo I didn't ask for sales data lmao. Didn't read

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
PLEASE. The Lite is already pushing it a bit when it comes to size, I really don't want some 8 inch behemoth.

ashm

Oct 26, 2017
Strongly in favour of a more portable Nintendo Switch, primarily for NSO and indies.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
hd games sucks in smaller screen. you can't take modern hd games, reduce resolution and stick it to small screen. many of the text would be hard to read.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Frominstallbase,
rH0P7Oe.jpeg

It would just be a Switch with no screen, and other handheld costs.

It doesn't have to be their "best selling device". HW sales would just count towards Switch sales just like how Switch Lite counts towards Switch sales.

They've also already determined a market for this stuff via the Gameboy players for SNES and GC.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I would love a mini variant.
My vision is poor so the current Switch's screen is too big for me to use in handheld mode.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
No, because Switch Lite proved that developers don't care to optimize game UIs for smaller screens and many games are unnecessarily hard to play.

Looking at you Fire Emblem Three Houses.

Jun 10, 2018
Nope, the smartest thing Nintendo ever did was starting to prioritize larger screen devices back with the 3DS. It's no coincidence the XL and New XL variants outsold their smaller sizes counterparts. Playing on a tiny ass screen isn't what people want anymore, whether we're talking about gamers or the expanded audience.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be interested. The size of the Switch is a big reason I never actually take it anywhere. DS/3DS were perfect portable size for me

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Definitely. The switch is too big to be comfortably portable so I view it more like a tablet for use around the house. I'd love something a bit smaller for taking outside to toss in a bag, I still bring my 3DS with me instead.

Dosmo

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I doubt it would be possible to have the right price for this and still be able to run Switch 2 games, even at lower res. An even smaller Switch 1 Lite seems more likely.

Jan 1, 2024
Midgar
It doesn't let me change my poll choice, I voted without reading!

But yes I agree. I miss the pocket design of 3DS/Vita/PSP/DS era.

No, because Switch Lite proved that developers don't care to optimize game UIs for smaller screens and many games are unnecessarily hard to play.

Looking at you Fire Emblem Three Houses.
But yes this would be problematic.

SpiralEngine

Jul 6, 2023
Maybe? If they hadn't taken out the docking ability from the Switch Lite, I would've gotten that instead of the OLED. But, since I still wanted the ability to dock so I could play local multiplayer with other people, I ended up going for the OLED instead.

However, since I generally use my Switch in portable mode, I would appreciate it if they could keep the Switch 2 size as small as possible. Once we get into Steam Deck-sizes I kinda don't wanna take it out of the house with me.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
If/when I get one it will essentially be glued to my television outside of very rare occasions. I'm not a fan of handheld gaming; the smaller the screen the worse the experience IMO.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Probably. The Switch Lite was too big to be truly portable, which is why I bought the standard model over the Lite. If I have to carry it around in a bag anyway, I might as well get the one with the larger screen and better battery life.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
My Switch is docked 98% of the time and that won't change with Switch 2.

The last handheld that I took out of the house was my OG DS.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck yes. A Switch Mini/Micro the size of an iPhone Pro? I'd be all over that.

Sep 29, 2020
Nope, a non portable Switch 2 in a small format would be though. Paying a premium for a screen and battery I'll never use seems stupid.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
No, I want handhelds to be larger and with less compromises. HUDs and fonts can already be an issue on the current Switch, so I don't need anything smaller.

lilty

Oct 25, 2017
New Brunswick
I just hope it's not as big as the Steam Deck. That thing is way too big. A Switch Lite form factor that actually docked would be my preference.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Switch Pocket
  • Clamshell, switchable faceplates
  • 5.5" OLED
  • 64GB storage
  • dockable/tv play (cradle sold separately)
  • $249.99

I'd be a nice remodel for the Switch 1 end cycle after Switch 2 launch.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I doubt one would be technically/economically feasible at launch. But eventually feels like you'd kind of need one for selling to kids. Base Switch is already pretty unwieldy for them, and is too big to be pocketable, going even bigger. When it's possible I think they'd want something in something close to a Switch Lite form factor

OP
OP
Floex

Floex

Oct 27, 2017

YESSS, a lil pocket size switch to keep in the bag

I'd be interested. The size of the Switch is a big reason I never actually take it anywhere. DS/3DS were perfect portable size for me

it barely leaves the house but I would def play it more if it were smaller on commutes

Strongly in favour of a more portable Nintendo Switch, primarily for NSO and indies.

This. While it's nice to play bigger games, I want a nice form factor to play something like Warioware. Pick up and play type games. There's a reason why Delta is doing so well on the app store right now

I personally never had problems with the size of the Switch for travelling, what i think mostly sucks is that due to the fact it is pretty much all plastic, it scratches very easily, which sort of forces you to buy a screen protector and a carrying case to prevent it. Years of carrying it around in my bag (which the Switch mostly shares space with notepads and papers, at most) have made many scratches in the casing, unfortunately.

But size wize? I think it's great. Has always fitted nicely in all of my bags.

Which is why it doesn't work for commutes. I don't want my console scratched to bits at the bottom of my bag, hence when i need a carrying case which adds on bulk.

joyboy

Jan 1, 2023
I think a Switch 2 Lite would be fine. I'd just hope it docked this time, doubt it would though