• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
For the first time since records began, the main nursery of Arctic sea ice in Siberia has yet to start freezing in late October.

The delayed annual freeze in the Laptev Sea has been caused by freakishly protracted warmth in northern Russia and the intrusion of Atlantic waters, say climate scientists who warn of possible knock-on effects across the polar region.

Ocean temperatures in the area recently climbed to more than 5C above average, following a record breaking heatwave and the unusually early decline of last winter's sea ice.

The trapped heat takes a long time to dissipate into the atmosphere, even at this time of the year when the sun creeps above the horizon for little more than an hour or two each day.

Graphs of sea-ice extent in the Laptev Sea, which usually show a healthy seasonal pulse, appear to have flat-lined. As a result, there is a record amount of open sea in the Arctic.

"The lack of freeze-up so far this fall is unprecedented in the Siberian Arctic region," said Zachary Labe, a postdoctoral researcher at Colorado State University. He says this is in line with the expected impact of human-driven climate change.

"2020 is another year that is consistent with a rapidly changing Arctic. Without a systematic reduction in greenhouse gases, the likelihood of our first 'ice-free' summer will continue to increase by the mid-21st century,' he wrote in an email to the Guardian.

This year's Siberian heatwave was made at least 600 times more likely by industrial and agricultural emissions, according to an earlier study.

The warmer air temperature is not the only factor slowing the formation of ice. Climate change is also pushing more balmy Atlantic currents into the Arctic and breaking up the usual stratification between warm deep waters and the cool surface. This also makes it difficult for ice to form.

"This continues a streak of very low extents. The last 14 years, 2007 to 2020, are the lowest 14 years in the satellite record starting in 1979," said Walt Meier, senior research scientist at the US National Snow and Ice Data Center. He said much of the old ice in the Arctic is now disappearing, leaving thinner seasonal ice. Overall the average thickness is half what it was in the 1980s.

The downward trend is likely to continue until the Arctic has its first ice-free summer, said Meier. The data and models suggest this will occur between 2030 and 2050. "It's a matter of when, not if," he added.

www.theguardian.com

Alarm as Arctic sea ice not yet freezing at latest date on record

Delayed freeze in Laptev Sea could have knock-on effects across polar region, scientists say

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
It's insanely sad/terrifying that there are still people out there who may write this off, as it's occurring up in the Arctic, far away from them.

Not realizing the cascade effect this implies.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Not

ae68e2a1eb3f448b1f9462dc46aca623.gif

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
Anything less than complete support for a Green New Deal is dogshit. And even that is insufficient.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
natural selection has nobody to blame but itself, make better species next time

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
I really don't know how bad it has to get before so many people stop sticking their fingers in their ears. I mean I know people often don't care about things unless it directly impacts them, but you could say it already is with more severe weather events. At what point do people finally go "hmm maybe we should try to do something about this". Island nations being washed away? The Arctic completely melting?

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't know how bad it has to get before so many people stop sticking their fingers in their ears. I mean I know people often don't care about things unless it directly impacts them, but you could say it already is with more severe weather events. At what point do people finally go "hmm maybe we should try to do something about this". Island nations being washed away? The Arctic completely melting?

Have you seen the response of developed countries against coronavirus?

I can cut developing countries some slack because they lack infrastructure and have poor living conditions but so many governments and people simply gave up and opt for dealing with the consequences.

Last edited:

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
Arizona summers in SoCal in the future and more wild fires, those 112 degree days will become the norm.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Just watched A Life On Our Planet on Netflix yesterday. This was one of the things that came up. It's extremely depressing to see how the ecosystem is being destroyed by humanity at a break-neck pace.

It's not much, but we're doing our part by not having any kids, eating less meat and using renewable energy.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
We are beyond fucked and nobody gives a shit. We could easily help alleviate some of this if we just plant more trees but we can't even bother to do something so simple, instead we keep chopping down our forests.

The US west coast will be fucked within five years and I need to get the fuck outta here.

greatgeek

Oct 25, 2017
I can't recall the last time I read about a climate development that was not worse-than-anticipated. That's got to be a bad sign.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
California usually has nice weather, but it's been 85+ degrees for the last two to three weeks. It's almost November. Not surprising.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Recycling plastics would be feasible if we had about twice as much energy as we do currently. Hint: there's a particular energy source which can produce metric shitfucktons of energy with a relatively small footprint.

What a coincidence, was reading about that yesterday:

Researchers develop an efficient, low-energy method for upcycling polyethylene plastic waste into valuable molecules
"We brought the temperature of the transformation down by hundreds of degrees," Scott said. Conventional methods, according to the paper, require temperatures between 500 and 1000°C to break down the polyolefin chains into small pieces and reassemble them into a mixture product of gas, liquid and coke, while the optimal temperature for this catalytic process hovers in the neighborhood of 300°C. The relatively mild reaction condition helps break down polymers in a more selective way to a majority of larger molecules within a lubricant range, the researchers explained. "And, we simplified the number of steps in the process because we're not doing multiple transformations," Scott said.

In addition, the process requires no solvent or added hydrogen, just a platinum on alumina (Pt/Al2O3) catalyst for a tandem reaction that both breaks those tough carbon-carbon bonds, and rearranges the polymer's molecular "skeleton" to form structures with those characteristic six-sided rings—high-value alkylaromatic molecules that find widespread use in solvents, paints, lubricants, detergents, pharmaceuticals and many other industrial and consumer products.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
I just shake my head and bite my tongue at family members having kids at this point. I don't think many of us will make it more than a couple decades at most, perhaps even less depending on how fast these feedback loops kick in.

Dec 4, 2017
rearranges the polymer's molecular "skeleton" to form structures with those characteristic six-sided rings
So they catalytically convert plastics into phenol? That sounds like a good idea. Phenolic compounds are vital for pretty much everything produced by the chemical industry.

Future Gazer

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

It's probably going to take Miami being underwater for people to say "oh, maybe this is a problem after all".

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
I though I was depressed... what awaits my kids?

In a 4°C warming scenario, pretty much everything below the latitude of Seattle will become uninhabitable, minus a relatively small area in Africa.
In Europe that would be everything south of the Alps.

We are currently on course to shoot way past 4°C.

Your kids will live in a world where billions of people will try to migrate from south to north and northern countries will eventually decide to industrially exterminate them.

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
Don't want to be that vegan, but if people can stop having steaks, BBQ, and meat every night - that would be a tremendous help in reversing this.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty clear now that we as a species are unwilling to do what it takes to secure a future for our descendants. We are incapable of long-term planning.