• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
0x0.jpg

Source

As promised, Warner Bros. has unleashed advance ticket sales for The Batman. That includes Wednesday evening preview screenings and the now-standard slew of Thursday showings starting as early as 3:00 pm. Considering too many theaters barely even open until the afternoon hours, we're almost at the point where Thursday should count as its own day. But I digress. Ironically, Warner Bros. tried to count the Thursday previews for Man of Steel ($21 million) as its own separate day, arguably because they knew word of mouth would be divisive and they wanted to make the second weekend look drop smaller.

Anyway, the first official pre-release tracking has popped on the board, with indications that The Batman could open with around $80 million. Only $80 million, you say? Well, tracking isn't an exact science, Warner Bros. has three weeks left to go and we should recall that Batman Begins opened with $72 million over its Wed-Sun debut back in summer 2005.

We haven't had a lot of pre-release tracking offered up since Covid, so a friendly reminder that tracking isn't supposed to be a firm prediction. It's supposed to be inside baseball research based on polling and related analysis with information for studios in terms of how well their marketing efforts are working and where they push, pull and emphasize in the last lap. Second, as I've discussed many times, there was always a chance that The Batman would only make "most of the money" rather than "all the money." Even presuming it's excellent (I've liked every prior Matt Reeves movie, including The Pallbearer), it's still being sold as not that different from Chris Nolan's Batman Begins. Back in 2005, the acclaimed and terrific Christian Bale-starring origin story had to contend with winning fans back after Batman & Robin, while also existing as "just a new Batman movie" lacking in "butts in seats" stars and marquee baddies.

Likewise, The Batman is "again" a grounded, gritty, real-world crime thriller featuring known but not "box office draw" actors like Robert Pattinson, Zoe Kravitz, Colin Farrell and Paul Dano playing "realistic" versions of villains (Catwoman, Penguin and Riddler) whom we've already seen at least once in a live-action Batman movie. To those not perpetually online or still frothing at the mouth for the notion of another "new" live-action Batman franchise, well, even Batman Begins earned less domestically than The Wedding Crashers and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in summer 2005 while barely earning more worldwide than Fantastic Four ($330 million). The irony of course is that in 2022 The Wedding Crashers would barely have a shot in hell of theatrical glory.

That's not the say The Batman will "bomb," it will almost certainly not, but nor should it be automatically treated as the next Spider-Man: No Way Home. First, Spider-Man has always been more popular than Batman. Sam Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy ($2.5 billion) just crushed the 1989-1997 Batman flicks ($1.252 billion), while I'd argue the boffo $1 billion-plus grosses of The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises were lightning in a bottle moments. Nolan's trilogy came at a time when the very idea of a big comic book flick that looked and felt like a genre flick or a big city crime thriller was unique unto itself. Today, the notion of "It's a superhero movie, but also a xyz" is a marketing hook and par for the course. Moreover, No Way Home was the next MCU event, the third MCU Spider-Man movie, a proverbial Amazing Spider-Man 3 and a metaphorical Spider-Man 4 all rolled into one. It's playing like The Force Awakens because it tapped into that kind of multigenerational nostalgia. Fair or not, The Batman is "just" a new Batman movie.

Also just consider this your reminder that tickets are currently on sale for The Batman as of now if you didn't know!
the-batman.gif

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Hope its profitable enough that we will get a trilogy.. all I care about.

I know Reeves will bring the goods.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
$80M seems almost impossibly low, considering they have showings as early as March 1st that will likely be rolled into the OW numbers.

My guess is a reported OW of $110M+, with an actual Fri-Sun of $85M.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Lmao it's the first big movie since Spider-Man and it's a brand new Batman. It's going to clear double that and wouldn't surprise me if it's even more. People aren't going to have any reservations about going to the movies with omicron on the decline.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Despite all the scrubbing that BvS and Justice League did to the name, it's still Batman, so I expect it to do quite well.

Reviews might be the key factor, but certainly not a required one (Again, look at BvS)

Most likely a big final trailer will drop alongside the Super Bowl this Sunday and pre-sale tickets will soar shortly afterwards.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
Despite all the scrubbing that BvS and Justice League did to the name, it's still Batman, so I expect it to do quite well.

Reviews might be the key factor, but certainly not a required one (Again, look at BvS)

Most likely a big final trailer will drop alongside the Super Bowl this Sunday and pre-sale tickets will soar shortly afterwards.

I didn't even think this holy shit, you're probably right. A Super Bowl ad is gonna skyrocket sales nearly immediately

WB is not doing any ads during the Super Bowl (confirmed by Deadline), they pretty much haven't in the last several years.

Maybe something in the early pre-show stuff though. Nonetheless, pre-sales will be robust with or without it. Reviews will take it to another level if it's as good as we hope. Screenings are happening today

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Lmao it's the first big movie since Spider-Man and it's a brand new Batman. It's going to clear double that and wouldn't surprise me if it's even more. People aren't going to have any reservations about going to the movies with omicron on the decline.
…you think it's going to make $160 million opening weekend?

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Why is this article written so weirdly? It reads like a forum post. Where did everyone's standards go???

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
$80 mil seems possible(not likely though) for a few reasons.

1.)It's the start of a new trilogy so the anticipation isn't at a fever pitch. Its high because its batman but not as high as the sequel will be once the audience get to know the world/actors/director.

2.) This seems like a self contained movie/mystery so people wont be rushing out to avoid being "spoiled". Sure I might hear about the Riddlers motivation or Court of Owls stuff but I'm willing to wait 45 days for streaming.

3.) A 3 hr run time will impact box office a little bit.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there a tweet from some boxoffice site saying the first long term forecasts were $130-185m? $80m is extreme lowballing.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking more $175m but def a big lol for $80m ow. Maybe they meant opening day.

1. pent up pandemic demand for big movies (really only Spidey has scratched that itch, and we saw how well that did)

2. it's a fucking solo batman that looks amazing, which we haven't had since 2012. 10 years!

3. the new blockbuster "opening weekend": previews on WEDNESDAY, screenings basically all day Thursday, then Friday is the "real" opening day. it's not even fair to call this opening weekend, but with that in mind, $200m doesn't seem that out there.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm already seeing it twice within the span for four days. This thing is going to be big. It's batman.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I think this being a much more low key film means it will have lower Box Office appeal than other visual eye candy films. Especially overseas.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
deadline always underestimates so they can spin a "smashed expectations" article because they are very pro theater

wait a couple days and check boxofficetheory for more accurate estimates

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I really can't picture it going below 100 million, but most of these predictions this early don't mean much.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That sounds really low. I'd be shocked if it wasn't >100M opening weekend

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Comparing this to Batman Begins feels like apples and oranges to me. Superhero films are way more popular now than they were in 2005 (and BB was coming off the awful Batman Forever and Batman and Robin).

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I do wonder if mediocre on screen versions of Batman in recent history have somewhat poisened the well.

But I think it'll ultimately do well.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
It ain't opening to 200+ but i'd hesitate going lower than 140.

It's Batman and America(/Canada). Pretty sure on this continent he's number 1 despite Spider-Man being the goat

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
1. pent up pandemic demand for big movies (really only Spidey has scratched that itch, and we saw how well that did)

2. it's a fucking solo batman that looks amazing, which we haven't had since 2012. 10 years!

3. the new blockbuster "opening weekend": previews on WEDNESDAY, screenings basically all day Thursday, then Friday is the "real" opening day. it's not even fair to call this opening weekend, but with that in mind, $200m doesn't seem that out there.

Ohh good point totally forgot about 3. Preview Weds and all day Thursday could mean they lump all "4" days into the ow. If that's the case it'll be $200m+. But they could go ROTS route and count Wed/Thurs od separate from the Fri-Sun ow.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Comparing this to Batman Begins feels like apples and oranges to me. Superhero films are way more popular now than they were in 2005 (and BB was coming off the awful Batman Forever and Batman and Robin).
To be fair this is also coming off of BVS and Josstice League so recent cinema hasn't been kind to Batman either