• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017

Stadia isn't doing so hot, and with it's most popular game featuring a declining playerbase by more than half it's population isn't good. Stadia Base is supposed to launch early this year, but there hasn't been any recent updates. Additionally, there hasn't been a Stadia Connect in ages and the lack of any new game announcements at The Game Awards is largely concerning. With the PS5 unveil event around the corner, and it releasing with the Xbox Series X this holiday, Stadia will have a very hard time standing on it's own. The PS5 and Xbox Series X will have new titles from all publishers and exclusives, while Stadia is having a difficult time getting

Stadia should have spent more time in the oven, and released when it had a compelling library with new and exclusive titles, with basic features at launch.

A dead player count/population isn't healthy. Other MP games are essentially dead on the platform. I think it's too late for Google to salvage Stadia at this point, especially with the new consoles coming out this year.

Ultimately, Google rushed this thing, and I don't see it surviving in the future. The new consoles will be all the talk, along with new titles from Nintendo, while Stadia might get a few ports? It's not looking good for Stadia's future, and I think Google is soon going to have to repurpose or salvage Stadia.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the lack of a free tier to play a F2P game will do that (among other things)

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Does that say ... eight thousand players in January?

And Destiny 2 is part of the Stadia Pro subscription, meaning that everyone using Stadia got the game for free, correct?

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was obvious it would fail the moment it was known that it wouldn't having any cross play.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Does that say ... eight thousand players in January?

And Destiny 2 is part of the Stadia Pro subscription, meaning that everyone using Stadia got the game for free, correct?
Yep. 100% of the Stadia userbase has Destiny 2. Would be fascinated to know how low the numbers are for something for sale for $60 on the store. How's Stadia RDR2 Online doing?

LukasHeinzel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am one of the remaining players, I love the possibilities Stadia is providing for my Destiny 2 Experience. I am working tommorow and am around 3-4 hours at stations or in trains and totally gonna play Destiny 2 On Stadia. Love the community.

Plum

May 31, 2018
EDIT: Just realised this joke makes no sense lol

Ah well.

Still, though. Stadia is clearly not doing well. It's not surprising at all.

Last edited:

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
No please stadia. Don't godia.

They keep telling us this is the future but it never works out does it? Especially since USA isn't the only country in the world.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
If Stadia itself wasn't so limiting I think I would actually use it

for now I don't have a viable use case scenario where is fits in my life atm

I WANT it to. Would love to play from my phone and I do have unlimited data but the speed and capacity of mobile internet may never reach the scale where such a feature would be seamless.

Outside of that I would rather just have locally running hardware at home as I see no since in using that data hungry and network reliant parts of this tech

The appeal was portability and play anywhere but the bandwidth and infrastructure requirement will forever be its achilles heel i imagine

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't even imagine how bad game sales are on this service. I bet some are in double digit sales.

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who occasionally uses Stadia, and doesn't think it's shit, Destiny 2 is probably one of the worst games you can play on it. It's a visual mess, and additional latency does the competitive no favors, which hurts Destiny 2 a lot since most frequent flyers are going to allow the Pve to sink into their PvP, and vise versa.

In short? Stadia is quite literally the worst place to play Destiny 2 right now. There are no advantages. There are, on the other hand, plenty of Stadia games that are fine and worth playing on the platform.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Stadia isn't doing so hot, and with it's most popular game featuring a declining playerbase by more than half it's population isn't good.

A dead player count/population isn't healthy.

Has it ever actually been proven that a game losing its playerbase is a bad thing? Sounds like wild speculation to me.

/s

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
CVOGZJr.jpg

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I play on PS4 and even then it can sometimes be light, can't imagine during world events or waiting for fire times.

Or holy hell Forge missions

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
19.400 players on one day only one week after launch for Destiny 2 on Stadia, which was available for free for all Stadia owners, that's not a promising number for actual unit sales of any other game on Stadia, especially when you consider the price point of most games on the platform.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i forgot Stadia existed.

i'm not even joking. i know this sounds like a half assed attempt at a joke/troll but i really did.

i do think streaming has a place so hopefully Google can get their act together.

Heel

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. 100% of the Stadia userbase has Destiny 2. Would be fascinated to know how low the numbers are for something for sale for $60 on the store. How's Stadia RDR2 Online doing?

I got curious and looked up NBA 2K20 videos for Stadia. The online park mode is a complete ghost town in every video I've found. One 3-on-3 game running on the entire server (platform?).

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To get promotions at Google, you need to be on active/new projects rather than maintaining legacy systems (although this is true anywhere). This explains why there are a lot of new products that get cancelled soon afterwards. It's just human nature to chase the promotion by whatever means necessary, and then abandon the project once it's served its purpose.

It's funny. It's easier to be promoted at Google by jumping over to a competitor and then jumping back. You'll also get bigger raises this way than to be promoted from within.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
No please stadia. Don't godia.

They keep telling us this is the future but it never works out does it? Especially since USA isn't the only country in the world.
Stadia isn't even a great fit for the US since internet quality varies wildly depending on where you live and data caps are pretty aggressive in a lot of the country.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
As someone who occasionally uses Stadia, and doesn't think it's shit, Destiny 2 is probably one of the worst games you can play on it. It's a visual mess, and additional latency does the competitive no favors, which hurts Destiny 2 a lot since most frequent flyers are going to allow the Pve to sink into their PvP, and vise versa.

In short? Stadia is quite literally the worst place to play Destiny 2 right now. There are no advantages. There are, on the other hand, plenty of Stadia games that are fine and worth playing on the platform.
I feel like Destiny 2 is a good example of why Stadia's launch was so deeply misguided. They launched bwith the "Pro" tier of their service first, with the biggest selling point being 4K/60 - a target that their highest profile game can't even hit. As a result - there is absolutely zero reason to play Destiny 2 there.

Had they instead focused on getting the mobile side ready - getting the streaming app on other Android phones, packaging the controller with a phone clip, ensuring it can actually sync wirelessly to a phone, etc - they would've at least had a definitive reason for people to hypothetically desire Stadia. Console games on mobile isn't a huge market, but it could've at least been Stadia's domain. Instead they focused on the TV, where they're offering a way worse experience.

Comapre this to Microsoft, who have only sold xCloud as a mobile service at this point. They know the limitations of a cloud-based service, and aren't trying to just brute-force past them.

Jan 9, 2018
I got stadia founders edition to try it and I never use it. It runs poorly for me and stutters . Got darksiders genesis on it and regret it due to pretty consistent lag. Plus it's not 4k 60 like they claimed

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Destiny 2 is a good example of why Stadia's launch was so deeply misguided. They launched bwith the "Pro" tier of their service first, with the biggest selling point being 4K/60 - a target that their highest profile game can't even hit. As a result - there is absolutely zero reason to play Destiny 2 there.

Had they instead focused on getting the mobile side ready - getting the streaming app on other Android phones, packaging the controller with a phone clip, ensuring it can actually sync wirelessly to a phone, etc - they would've at least had a definitive reason for people to hypothetically desire Stadia. Console games on mobile isn't a huge market, but it could've at least been Stadia's domain. Instead they focused on the TV, where they're offering a way worse experience.

Comapre this to Microsoft, who have only sold xCloud as a mobile service at this point. They know the limitations of a cloud-based service, and aren't trying to just brute-force past them.
To add on, it should have been a no brainer to launch the base service first with f2p Destiny so you can have the numbers.