• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
There's been like 6-7 responses to his crappy, uninformed take and he hasn't come back to reply. Quite sure it was a drive-by.

Some people can't stand not being part of the hype.
The kneejerk response to people being excited for Starfield here on Era has me mildly amused honestly lol.

Pretty much the only place on the internet where some people (albeit a very small and vocal minority) are going out of their way to try and tell us that we can't trust BGS, that our expectations are unrealistic, that the game won't actually have any depth and on and on and on. I mean, I get it, if you're not a fan of BGS then Starfield may not be for you but the claims being made about it (and how it will inevitably fail) after an overwhelmingly positive direct showcase seem designed to be as reductive as possible.

Ah well, it's all noise and nothing is gonna take away from the excitment so many of us have built up for this game. The ambition and scope of Starfield is a breath of fresh air in an industry that is often way too stagnant.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I think the frame-rate stuttering trailer with gunplay, they released a while ago looked pretty bad. I think even today, the gunplay just looks above average, though I think the new gameplay overall looked pretty good. If you search my post history you'll see I also say things like "I'll resub later for Starfield" regarding gamepass, and in regards to buying another series X I write "I'll cave again later for Starfield".

I'm still excited for Starfield, not exclusively but alongside many other games.

I thought the gunplay in their thing last year was pretty average looking, and a minor step up from FO4 at best. The very rough performance of that demo last year didn't help either.

I think the gunplay they showed this year actually looked quite good. It'll come down to how it feels in translation from controller to screen, but the jump pack seemed to add a lot of speed and dynamism to the combat, and the visual feedback from the weapons seemed good and punchy. Also saw a lot of seamless use of grenades mid-combat, that looked really fluid and cool.

I doubt it'll feel as good as something built entirely around a tight shooting experience like DOOM or CoD or whatever, but it's the first time I can say I actually think the gunplay looks good - and not just by Bethesda standards.

OP
OP
Ombretoile

Ombretoile

Banned
Sep 8, 2022
I thought the gunplay in their thing last year was pretty average looking, and a minor step up from FO4 at best. The very rough performance of that demo last year didn't help either.

I think the gunplay they showed this year actually looked quite good. It'll come down to how it feels in translation from controller to screen, but the jump pack seemed to add a lot of speed and dynamism to the combat, and the visual feedback from the weapons seemed good and punchy. Also saw a lot of seamless use of grenades mid-combat, that looked really fluid and cool.

I doubt it'll feel as good as something built entirely around a tight shooting experience like DOOM or CoD or whatever, but it's the first time I can say I actually think the gunplay looks good - and not just by Bethesda standards.

Yep. Alex Battaglia from Digital Foudry (a pc gamer) said that "the gunplay looked excellent" (36:27)

View: https://youtu.be/i9ikne_9iEI?t=2187

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
A lot of money and reputation is on the line with this game. We're about to see until release an endless stream of similar content.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I played No Mans Sky at launch and it was a boring resource management game. This is the game I actually wanted, a full scale RPG with an NPC crew, with a massive galaxy to explore.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually not even bothered by the fact the game could have a lot of repetitive content. Looks like it will be fun to dip in and out of the procedural stuff regardless.

And mods for this are going to be amazing.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
It may be an exaggerated article, but I had one thought stuck in my mind throughout the entire deep dive and that thought was "How does this game exist?"

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
The kneejerk response to people being excited for Starfield here on Era has me mildly amused honestly lol.

Pretty much the only place on the internet where some people (albeit a very small and vocal minority) are going out of their way to try and tell us that we can't trust BGS, that our expectations are unrealistic, that the game won't actually have any depth and on and on and on. I mean, I get it, if you're not a fan of BGS then Starfield may not be for you but the claims being made about it (and how it will inevitably fail) after an overwhelmingly positive direct showcase seem designed to be as reductive as possible.

Ah well, it's all noise and nothing is gonna take away from the excitment so many of us have built up for this game. The ambition and scope of Starfield is a breath of fresh air in an industry that is often way too stagnant.
Usually people that are trying to crap on something I'm excited for bothers me more, and don't get me wrong, I think this guy sucks...

But I'm finding it more entertaining than anything for the most part. The complaints are getting more and more silly ever day, like grasping at straws. I don't think the nay-sayers will convince anyone otherwise. Game showcase just blew everyone away too much.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
For many, "just the next BGS game" is enough to warrant the hype. These games are so beloved they are played for years, something other AAA studios could only dream of.
I get that but it's not like "OMG how on Earth can they do this?!?!?" Like it's not inconceivable they got to a game like this.

Capt Sensib1e

Banned
Jun 4, 2022

I was fine with the "RPG shooter" aspect, now its like Apex Starfield and I wonder if the resources would have been better spent on making more detailed sandwiches. But the whole Apex Legends things should dovetail with the different gravities if done right.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
I watched the direct 10x at least. And I plan to watch again and again and again until game comes out. This is a game that will be making headlines till 10 year from now on now easily. Imagine the DLC expansions too

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020

Hell yeah, the first week of a BGS launch are gaming magic. Everybody finding cool stuff in every corner and sharing their stories. That week where everything is new for everyone is so much fun. Can't wait.

2b_miner

Mar 7, 2019
Have any of the gaming outlets had any live hands on impressions of the game, tried to search online but could not find much.

Though I'd be personally wary of that, I remember Cyberpunk being demoed live as a slice of the game and that turned out to be a very small experience from the final game.

I am trying to keep my expectations in check not because I doubt BSG but the scale is making me wonder if all of them would function as intended. I mean sure there would be a couple of hiccups here and there but as a whole, I hope the team can pull off what they showed

Or Else it would atleast make for an entertaining Crowbcat video

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I get that but it's not like "OMG how on Earth can they do this?!?!?" Like it's not inconceivable they got to a game like this.
No one is saying that it's inconceivable, it's just impressive that they're achieving this level of depth and scope. Most games don't even attempt that because it's not an easy thing to do, and time and resources aren't infinite.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
That's how I feel about it too. I've been waiting for this moment for a very long time.

After playing no man's sky at launch and being sad about the nearly complete lack of story, Starfeild feels exactly like what I want out of a Space Epic. I still like what I've played in No Man's Sky, it's just a different beast, but I'm really excited to see what a AAA studio can do with a huge budget, and a full story-focused RPG on top of the procedural stuff.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm so excited for this game, (even though every bethesda rpg kind of bums me out after 40 ish hours) but this is the first time I'm really skeptical about my 2070s setup. lol.

Hearing that the city is actually legitimately big is exciting.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I'm so excited for this game, (even though every bethesda rpg kind of bums me out after 40 ish hours) but this is the first time I'm really skeptical about my 2070s setup. lol.

Hearing that the city is actually legitimately big is exciting.
I'm so dang pumped for the big city myself. Feels like everything I hear makes me go "is the hardware finally no longer holding the designers back!?" haha.

Aug 12, 2019

Breath of fresh air? Not sure where you're getting that from. Every AAA game these days wants to be the biggest and baddest sandbox possible and making people ooh and ahh at the ways that "they can go there". Like it'll be a detailed game with the kitchen sink, same as any big budget AAA game these days that gets a semi decent amount of development time for an open world. But "Breath of fresh air in the industry"? Genuinely no idea how you could ever arrive at that conclusion. It's more of the same Bethesda stuff with this year's new set of "crafting/customization/building" mechanics and a nice little hook with gravity mechanics on a wider scale then say something like The Outer Wilds already largely did really well. The procedural generated stuff is going to take a page out of No Man's Sky, or hell, the old pre Morrowind Elder Scrolls titles that used the same sort of design tricks to create a bigger world than you could ever reasonably create. If they've paid attention, they'll manage to maybe get semi closer to the CRPG roots of titles and give players something that resembles role playing genuinely (though Bethesda will still insist on all kinds of inane and boring guard rails, letting a player choose to fuck up their ever so pristine world organically has always been a no-no). And even though it wasn't like the most fantastic thing, Obsidian beat them to a lot of this stuff by a few years in The Outer Worlds too and it has to at a bare minimum match up to that game's dialogue and role play options (and those were kind of a historic low for Obsidian IMO).

Like Starfield can be a good, even pretty great and enjoyable game. But there's absolutely nothing about it I'd ever call that refreshing. Elder Scrolls but space and bigger and better just sound like more of the dirge of infinite growth corporatism that the industry is already suffering under to me. This is a Bethesda space game. Pretty, will have a decent world to mess about in, and will overload you on mechanics that will range from decently well thought out to undercooked. Not sure what radical new reinvention you could really believe this to be or genuinely new direction. Like, that's never been Bethesda's MO and they have typically chosen to pull back on possible new "breaths of fresh air" in favor of a more tailored, more universal experience that can appeal to more people.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Yeah my thoughts are roughly in line with yours on that. I don't think being very critical of that demo means I habour some long-standing hatred towards the game. I was impressed by the recent showcase but I'm still cautiously optimistic towards it.

In terms of gunplay on a 10 point scale that ranges between Rust console edition (1) to Titanfall 2 (10), I'm expecting (hoping) it'll be around a 7.

Jan 20, 2023
how many times has todd's sweet little lies video been linked so far in the first 11 pages.

cos really thats all we need. i'll believe it when i see it.

Breadfan78

Dec 8, 2022
God damn this game will and has caused an exorbitant amount of salt.

Getting early access 5 days early with the CE, can't wait.

Yoga Flame

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 8, 2022
It may be an exaggerated article, but I had one thought stuck in my mind throughout the entire deep dive and that thought was "How does this game exist?"
Yup, it's not a unfamiliar response.

When the game gets GOTY nods and 90+ MC it's good to really hurt some people based on comments here.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I wasn't really paying attention to this game, I even missed the gameplay reveal from a few days ago, but after looking at the 45 mins video, this looks like my kind of sci-fi game and something that will keep me satisfied until the next Mass Effect comes out in like 6-8 years or something.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
I'm eager to play the game on pc gamepass, hope is optimized, but at the same time, I think it will be FallOut4 with random generated content. Also the lack of seamless space exploration (leaving and entering a planet) is a downer.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Be wary of vertical slices for marketing. That said, I don't think it's necessarily fair to compare this to something like the Cyberpunk 2077 demo -- Starfield releases in a few months, so what's in the game for that demo is presumably similar to what you're going to get in the actual release. The promised scale of the game is what gets me. I will find it astounding if Bethesda pulls that off well, because from an outsider's perspective looking at the massive amount of content, systems, and interactivity between those systems, it seems like there are so many ways things could go wrong. But if they stick the landing Starfield could easily be around the top of the GOTY conversation.

Witiko

Oct 4, 2022
Everyone is saying Starfield this and Starfield that, but no one's saying WORSHIP this or JERICHO that.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

This is what impressed me, especially since Bethesda isn't exactly known for it's compelling gameplay mechanics.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

I think ID or MachineGames helped them with gunplay. It does look pretty good now, the weapon design also seem ace.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
The amazing part for me is how the action looked. This is an rpg, not a fps. I'm not sure I could even name an rpg with better looking shooting. Most RPGs that have guns have some of the worst shooting mechanics possible.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
To me, this looks like the first game that significantly takes advantage of next consoles for something that isn't graphics.

Even with the few next gen exclusive games I've played, they've felt like last gen games on steroids, even if they were good. As if they were supposed to be on the old consoles but got pushed way back by covid.

Starfield feels like a "next gen is here" moment, if everything pans out.

Stibbs

Feb 8, 2023
The 518
Everyone is saying Starfield this and Starfield that, but no one's saying WORSHIP this or JERICHO that.
Might be one of the best Simpsons references I've seen on this site, gold star for you lol.
The amazing part for me is how the action looked. This is an rpg, not a fps. I'm not sure I could even name an rpg with better looking shooting. Most RPGs that have guns have some of the worst shooting mechanics possible.
Even if Id didn't help with the shooting directly, you can assume they could have shared a few notes that Bethesda listened too, or even 343 now that they're under Xbox

JMS

Jul 22, 2022
how many times has todd's sweet little lies video been linked so far in the first 11 pages.

cos really thats all we need. i'll believe it when i see it.
This time his lies would reflect on a desperate Microsoft that needs a banger, they did delay it for a full year because they want it just right.

Not that i'm not skeptical about Todd but they didn't have a tech giant hovering over them in the past, this is a must-be-hit for Xbox.

Tyche-42

Sep 29, 2021
To me, this looks like the first game that significantly takes advantage of next consoles for something that isn't graphics.

Even with the few next gen exclusive games I've played, they've felt like last gen games on steroids, even if they were good. As if they were supposed to be on the old consoles but got pushed way back by covid.

Starfield feels like a "next gen is here" moment, if everything pans out.
Yeah this is the first game thats actually felt next gen to me, and not yet another game thats just entirely graphics while having the same boring old gameplay features and loops we've had for over a decade.

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
Are people really annoyed that the trailer didn't show bank or anything like that?

Like clearly there will be jank. There's always jank. There will always be jank. They're not going to show the jank in the trailer or anything.

Uniomni

Banned
Jun 13, 2022
If Starfield actually wins GOTY over TOTK, it will be the single most satisfying schadenfreude I'll ever feel in my life.
If Starfield lands the launch and the hype isn't a lie, it would easily deserve it.

But the enmity between Nintendo/ Microsoft fanbases isn't as vitriolic as it is vs those two and Sony respectively, so I can't see the fallout being that bad.

The real fun will be if Starfield DOES win, and begins getting GOTG labeling, and then pops up in every conversation for big titles the way BOTW did last generation.

The seethe on all sides will taste like candy dipped in honey.

Capt Sensib1e

Banned
Jun 4, 2022
If forced to make a bet now, I would say Starfield wins GOTY fwiw.

I mean come on, TOTK has like 999 less planets to explore pfft.