kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Does that have four cameras on the front and possibly three more on the back, plus a sensor?

EDIT: The rumored 2020 design looks nice, though, depending on the back.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
People are way too obsessed with the looks of their phones. That said I would rather they the space on the back that was created by the camera bump with a larger battery.

Operations

Oct 29, 2017
This model better be crowned over the latest Pixel and Huawei P30 competition as king of photography. Otherwise the sacrifice in design is inexcusable.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Natural position and has basically been proven to be the best spot for a fingerprint reader. Back for finger, side for a thumb. Front is cool for gimmicks but not for actual long term usage.
What? Back is awful when you need to lay your phone down on a table or any surface. Or a car mount. Or a bike mount. Or in a running sleeve. Or countless other situations.

You're saying that the front, where the whole screen is, which is used via touching your fingers on it, is a gimmicky place for something you need to touch as well? Yeah ok buddy.

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
What? Back is awful when you need to lay your phone down on a table or any surface. Or a car mount. Or a bike mount. Or in a running sleeve. Or countless other situations.

You're saying that the front, where the whole screen is, which is used via touching your fingers on it, is a gimmicky place for something you need to touch as well? Yeah ok buddy.
Yes, because it either leads to a huge chin:

iphone_8_vs_iphone_7.jpg

Or a spotty at best in screen finger-print reader.
in-screen-fingerprint-scanner.jpg

Google, Samsung (on non in screen models), Huawei, LG, OnePlus, ZTE, Oppo, Xiaomi and so many others use the back.

I'm having a harder time honestly thinking of phones that use the front for a finger-print reader these days.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
OnePlus isnt using the back for fingerprints anymore. They are under the screen on the front now. Thats where tech is moving, and its getting better everyday.

And yeah, the cornered camera design is ugly as sin. Both Apple and the Pixel are going with this ugly design this year, and they can both kick rocks. Center it at least like a decent designer. Shit looks awful.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
I've got the OnePlus 7 Pro with the in screen reader. Isn't always the best, but it does the job. It's also notchless with a front facing camera, lol. To be honest, I wouldn't have cared if they didn't even have a front facing camera in this thing.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
The real question is how much will this contribute to photo quality in any major way? And can Apple make me care about the AR stuff (on the iPhone).

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It reminds me of when Samsung or LG would make those weird spin off phones that take their flagship phone but add some random gimmick to that where always ugly as sin and sold like crap.

Oct 25, 2017
OnePlus isnt using the back for fingerprints anymore. They are under the screen on the front now. Thats where tech is moving, and its getting better everyday.

And yeah, the cornered camera design is ugly as sin. Both Apple and the Pixel are going with this ugly design this year, and they can both kick rocks. Center it at least like a decent designer. Shit looks awful.

Centered is not an optimal design as far as actual usage is concerned. Also, the better you make your camera's, the larger they will be, which makes it harder to put them in the center of a phone and have the rest of your hardware optimally fit. There is a reason that both Apple and Google, two companies that both put a large emphasis on their camera's, have settled on similar designs.

It's a bit of an irony that in an instance where Apple is actually valuing function over form, some people are upset.