• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
i know nothing about law but that doesn't seem proven. a negative review can't be used to claim damages. they had a massively successful launch as well.
An official review that is posted after any sort of embargo is up is very different than a leak before information is allowed to be shared. Leaks in general will always be considered malicious since they're releasing information that isn't meant to be released to the public yet and can and generally do have a negative consequence.

Deleted member 6233

Oct 25, 2017
It's incredible how hard it is for people to understand this. Sorry — you break NDA, you put yourself at this risk. Hope it's worth it.

Exactly. Folks just don't get it. They've got no damn clue the impact leaking and blabbing has on teams and projects. Though I had some idea of the impact, I didn't realize the full extent of it until 3 or so years ago when I talked to someone who at the time anyway was working for one of the NPD Group's partners regarding those monthly NPD numbers leaking out. Look...this stuff doesn't just affect GameFreak and Nintendo. It also affects partners of theirs, partners of partners, domestic retailers, international retailers and still more partners of theirs some of who have nothing to do with gaming! It's hugely damaging. At best your project can still release relatively uneventfully. At worst there's delays, stuff gets shifted around...it's a massive headache when worst case hits. After the discussion I had, which was extremely eye opening and interesting, there's zero desire to go down that street.

While I don't want to see 4 lives ruined over this, I do want to see them face tangible consequences for it so they learn you can't just do this with things that aren't your property. I really hope this is finally the deterrent that will totally curb leaking but sadly it won't be.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
The game sold huge. How do they prove "irreparable damage" in court when this entry was so successful. How is it possible to quantify how much it would have sold if the leaks didn't happen?

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017

The judge has ruled in favor of TPCi and now Discord and 4chan will have to give them the info they have about the implicated subjects.

data

Oct 25, 2017

The judge has ruled in favor of TPCi and now Discord and 4chan will have to give them the info they have about the implicated subjects.

I wonder if they'll even be able to do anything with the data if it still there. Also, does this set a precedent to stop people from leaking?

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018

The hunt begins.
Does 4chan have this information? I thought the whole point of that site was that it didn't store user data and was anonymous
It's anonymous between posters. The site itself stores IP, else they wouldn't be able to ban people based on IP.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they'll even be able to do anything with the data if it still there. Also, does this set a precedent to stop people from leaking?
TPCi is against the person(s) who broke an NDA by leaking the game guide. If that person didn't sign an NDA, then this case wouldn't exist.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Do they know if that person did sign an NDA?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a retailer who got an early shipment.
They are pretty sure on that. The guide was leaked multiple weeks before release, so the suspect is somebody from their own company, a warehouse employee, distributor, etc.

Iris

Oct 28, 2017
What are the consequences if the mentioned websites/companies refuse to comply with the subpoena?