Oct 25, 2017

The automaker pushed past company lawyers' early safety questions and a veteran development engineer's warning that the cars weren't roadworthy, internal emails and documents show. Ford then declined, after the depth of the problem was obvious, to make an expensive change in the transmission technology.
By the time of the 2012 review, which was labeled "Lessons Learned," Ford had sold more than half a million of the cars.
"There is no fix at this time," system testing engineer Tom Hamm wrote separately in an October 2012 email to four colleagues. "We have a task force working on the issue but they haven't identified any fixes at this time."
But on Aug. 31, 2010, just six months before the 2012 Focus hit the market, product development engineer Tom Langeland emailed colleagues and supervisors describing "nasty launch judder" — intense vibration from a stop — that "did not clear up after many miles of driving."
"We also cannot achieve a driveable calibration that will get us to production," he wrote. "The clutch torque delivery MUST BE IMPROVED."

I don't think I can ever justify owning a Ford vehicle after this. It's absolutely insane and infuriating.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. I've got a 2012 Focus. Had the clutch replaced twice. New one is holding up okay. My paint is flaking away in a lot of places though. This is the rustiest 7 year old car I've ever seen. Never buying Ford again.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Their SUVs are also giving people carbon monoxide poisoning but they're not really doing anything about it.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
My Fiesta had that judder. The transmission legit gave way before the warranty ran out by a month. Got it replaced thankfully and has been much better

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
That is completely abhorrent. Companies should be forced to pay much more for defective products and the effects to the consumer (time, frustration, cost). Same thing for the xbox 360 RRoD. Microsoft was outright denying this issue and forcing customers to pay to repair a known decect.

The auto transmission issue was crappy as well as their handling of the situation was really crummy. On the flip side, Ford cars were fantastic with the manual transmissions. Those things were workhroses.

I understand why companies dont come out right away and post a recall as they are not even sure of their failure numbers, but I would expect that they would get ahead of the issue and hopefully quietly fix the issues before an official recall was declared.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. My sister was recently in the market for a new car. She said she was considering a Focus. I am aware of the issues from spending time on the personal finance subreddit, and it seems like someone posts about having that issue almost every week. I told her "NOOOOPE," and explained why.

Pretty sure their F-150s and Mustangs are still fine to purchase, but for any other type of car (sedan, SUV, etc.), you should look elsewhere.

gcncontroller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
FL
yeah, had to get my fiesta looked at for that judder a couple of years ago. the a/c has also been shitty pretty much since i got it, and living in florida that is a nightmare in the summer.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I made the mistake of buying one of these turds in 2017.

Took a huge financial hit to get out from under the piece of shit.

Sucks too, as I really liked the car.

Fuck Ford.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
This was just for the Dual Clutch Auto, right? I had a manual Fiesta, which was a blast to drive (though sadly the ST wasn't out when I bought it). Sounds like I missed a looooot of headaches going that route.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was just for the Dual Clutch Auto, right? I had a manual Fiesta, which was a blast to drive (though sadly the ST wasn't out when I bought it). Sounds like I missed a looooot of headaches going that route.

Yeah, I drove an ST for a few years. Great chassis. Awful infotainment. Mediocre ergonomics.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Luckily I never had any issues with my 2014 Mustang other than the airbag recall. 6 years, 65k miles, and nothing but routine maintenance. Hopefully my 2019 Mustang will fare just as well.

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
That's why you buy a manual instead. Sadly, people in the US can barely drive in a straight line let alone operate a clutch pedal

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
My fiesta 2013 turbo went bang a few weeks ago out of nowhere with not even a warning light. Cost just under £2000 to fix. Now selling it and getting a different car. Not surprised there are other issues.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Had a 2012 focus. Fuck Ford.

They tried to tell me my AC blowing hot air was normal and by design

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
My wife bought a fiesta. We went car shopping for like two days, then the next afternoon she goes with her mother and comes back in two hours with a Ford Fiesta ... luxury package.

I was unhappy

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. I've got a 2012 Focus. Had the clutch replaced twice. New one is holding up okay. My paint is flaking away in a lot of places though. This is the rustiest 7 year old car I've ever seen. Never buying Ford again.
Could have told you that before you wasted your money.
Sad that Ford thinks that people second biggest investment outside of their house is not worth their best effort.
Cars are a simple product to sell too, make a reliable vehicle and folks will buy the shit out of it.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Not the first time they have released a poorly engineered car to the market, hell both Ford and GM did it numerous times during the 60s and 70s(Corvair, Pinto, Vega, etc)

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
yeah they have been going through a lawsuit on this for a long time. My wife had one, it was awful

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised people don't already know at this point to never rely on a Ford.

2012 was a time when American cars were getting more reliable and Japanese cars were getting less reliable. There were a lot of engine problems in the ~2004 Japanese cars that were starting to surface.

Combined with the fact that the Focus was the best driving hot hatch at the time, it was a very attractive car.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Was used car shopping several months ago and almost bought a Focus... a pre-shitty transmission model, but still I just feel like I dodged a bullet. Fuck Ford. Ended up getting a Corolla and I don't think I'm ever getting something other than Toyota/Honda ever again.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Was used car shopping several months ago and almost bought a Focus... a pre-shitty transmission model, but still I just feel like I dodged a bullet. Fuck Ford. Ended up getting a Corolla and I don't think I'm ever getting something other than Toyota/Honda ever again.
If you don't know anything about cars, buy a Toyota or a Honda. It's that easy.
I don't think Toyota have yet to fully recover public opinion after their recalls from around 2010

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
The first and only new car I've purchased was (and still currently is) my Ford Fiesta 2015. I haven't had any issues with it though, I've had it for maybe 3 years now? Is this a "guaranteed" thing or just something that might affect people?

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Was choosing between a 2012 Ford Focus and a 2013 Suzuki Swift. The ford has a bigger and nicer interior with more gadgets but thought I better do a quick Google and found this judder problem as well as a few reports of cars just stalling on highways etc. went with the swift, dealer didn't know what I was talking about and thought I was crazy.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
When I bought my Focus I searched for "ford focus problems" and didn't find the transmission thing. 2016. Dunno how I could've missed it, but I did.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I drove an ST for a few years. Great chassis. Awful infotainment. Mediocre ergonomics.

I kinda liked the red screen thing, though I barely ever used Sync. I tried the weird voice only navigation setup but was less than impressed. Did take it on several long drives and the car itself held up well enough and was decent enough for road tripping even at 80mph.

I was forced to upgrade in the end - I got rear ended on a residential street, totalled the car (was maybe $7k in repairs, a 2011 Manual Fiesta isn't really worth that). Ford had just announced they were dropping all their sedans/hatchbacks from the US market so I basically said "Well fuck that" and ended up buying a lightly used manual VW GTI. Probably got more from the insurance check than I would have in trade in. So I guess it sorta worked out in the end.