• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Its a good insight as to why they are selective with who they partner with and what they sponsor. And as Nintendo fans, we keep letting our image down. Nintendo is no doubt looking at this closely, and having probably worked with Gamexplain in the past will most likely yet again evaluate their position on how they handle their relationship with Youtubers etc. Just a thought 🤷‍♂️
Nintendo probably doesn't give a shit about this, honestly. It's fucking awful but Nintendo isn't involved in this at all. This is really weird.

Oct 25, 2017
A day or two ago I thought he was being piled on a bit harshly, but now that the other employees can't even have their work with the 3D World videos appreciated, it's well past time for Andre to step up and offer his side.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Its a good insight as to why they are selective with who they partner with and what they sponsor. And as Nintendo fans, we keep letting our image down. Nintendo is no doubt looking at this closely, and having probably worked with Gamexplain in the past, will most likely yet again evaluate their position on how they handle their relationship with Youtubers etc. Just a thought.🤷‍♂️ Why can't people just be decent and not exploit others.
Are you in the right thread?

Oct 27, 2017
Have I miswrote what I meant? I am explaining my disappointment in Andre as he, like many people in the past, has once again let down Nintendo fans and proven why Nintendo is careful with their image. I am aware Nintendo has worked with them, that was my point!! People like Andre make it difficult for honest people to make a living covering Nintendo news etc. Sorry for the confusion.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Have I miswrote what I meant? I am explaining my disappointment in Andre as he, like many people in the past, has once again let down Nintendo fans and proven why Nintendo is careful with their image. I am aware Nintendo has worked with them, that was my point!! Sorry for the confusion.

why are you bringing up the Smash sexual allegations from half a year ago and have been dealt with? Why are you acting like we're in some cult and are letting down the leader?

Oct 27, 2017
why are you bringing up the Smash sexual allegations from half a year ago and have been dealt with? Why are you acting like we're in some cult and are letting down the leader?

Because its another example as to why Nintendo is protective with their image. After those allegations they removed videos from their channels involving those persons. Likewise with this Nintendo may clamp down on channels that cover Nintendo news and repost their trailers etc. All I meant was Andre, as a Nintendo fan has let down other Nintendo fans who would really benefit from partnering with Nintendo. I feel like I didnt convey my point across very well?

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
A day or two ago I thought he was being piled on a bit harshly, but now that the other employees can't even have their work with the 3D World videos appreciated, it's well past time for Andre to step up and offer his side.

Yeah, the top comments on every video are directly mocking Tris ("eg. Five more videos and you can buy lunch today!") and it is very weird that AndreGX isn't stepping up to do anything about it. These are new employees, they don't deserve to have to handle the blowback of his mistakes. One of the most basic principles of management is protecting your employees in situations like these, let alone ones you've caused.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it wasn't already obvious, Andre continues making a fucked up situation even worse.

Yeah, fuck this. This is actually scummy as hell. You were that afraid of the truth huh? There's like a dozen things wrong with this.

Was this done after people recently spoke about it? Because if so, it shows he's around but is being such a petty fuck by trying to hide and hope it goes all away.

It's not like people did this to him. Dude had to be hounded to pay people who did work for him. Here I am asking for work from someone and I've paid them, in advance and in full, and allowed them an infinite deadline because of COVID. I don't have a million subbed YouTube account and it was more than $2, I assure you. ;)

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Doesn't Nintendo usually clamp down on channels that simply repost their content as GX does? I wonder if this will impact their ability to do that moving forward.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's harmful to his staff as well, not just to his own reputation. It's only going to get harder to salvage anything from this.

Dude must be paralyzed about this right now. Still nothing on GX twitter nor his own, but I guess not so paralyzed that new SM3DW footage doesn't still demand work be done 🤦‍♂️

Oct 28, 2017
Which is why I said "At least", and "in that regard". He took the allegations, addressed them, and apologized if he had hurt anyone. He didn't sweep them under the rug like GameXplain is doing or blame everyone else like Channel Awesome did.

It's certainly not a perfect situation, but everyone makes mistakes. The problem is that most only own up to it when they get caught.

A perfect example of how it should be properly handled is Adam Blampied, formerly of WhatCulture Wrestling and Cultaholic. He admitted with zero provocation that he was a sex addict and had been soliciting nudes, and since Cultaholic was just starting at the time, he left so as to not distract from the team and sought help. He's recently come back working with Wrestletalk and has been completely forgiven by fans because he made a mistake, he owned up to it, he took his lumps, and got better. That's the gold standard when it comes to YouTube drama like this.
I believe I would watch a video about how Adam would book GameXplain.

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo probably doesn't give a shit about this, honestly. It's fucking awful but Nintendo isn't involved in this at all. This is really weird.

Nintendo is no doubt watching closely. A lot of gamexplain-esque channels use their name. Nintendo Life, Nintendo Wire etc. My point was that this could lead to Nintendo clamping down on these type of channels, and that Andre's selfish actions could have let not only his own employees but everyone else down. Here is a recent example of something similar happening in football "In August 2018, ArsenalFanTV were forced to change their name to AFTV following discussions with Arsenal regarding the channel breaching Arsenal's copyright by using the term "Arsenal" without authorisation which had a negative effect on the club." https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...er-talks-with-gunners-hierarchy-a3911261.html

Whilst you would hope Nintendo would take each individual case on its own, we all know how much they like to control their image, and I was merely trying to point out how disappointing it is that people like Andre(who are no doubt "fans") constantly prove Nintendo right with their actions. I am not condoning anything. Either I've not explained myself well, or I'm jumping the gun. I won't say any more as I feel I'm mis-communicating my point (I got quoted a dozen times!), but I just want to say I will not be shocked if Nintendo now clamps down on Nintendo news sites. Whether it be yet again reviewing their partnerships, forcing name changes, controlling what they can upload regarding their IP etc.

Last edited:

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Ash said:
As to the second point, his response to us was that we're technically "independent contractors" and thus not entitled to work-related travel being covered or compensated, so in a word: no, not happening.

Fuck this guy.

Imagine building up a successful games journalism outlet with your friends and knowingly fucking them over the whole time.

Then your friends present you with an opportunity to do the right thing, and you decide to remind them that they are independent contractors and you owe them nothing.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
This man really just ignoring all the accusations, meanwhile still forcing his employees to work (as far as we know for absolutely shitty wage.)

Andres cowardice is insane.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
That Andre hasn't said a word yet and is avoiding featuring in videos is beyond pathetic. Just showing his true colors at this point. Is humility that difficult to stomach? He's doing more damage the longer this goes unaddressed.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the top comments on every video are directly mocking Tris ("eg. Five more videos and you can buy lunch today!") and it is very weird that AndreGX isn't stepping up to do anything about it. These are new employees, they don't deserve to have to handle the blowback of his mistakes. One of the most basic principles of management is protecting your employees in situations like these, let alone ones you've caused.
I think you're misreading that one. Sympathy for the victim and punishing the abuser are two different things, and they don't necessarily align. Nerd cultures have a lot of often have a lot of people who struggle in social situations. Putting that together, you can have the new staff be steamrolled in incidentally to take a potshot at Andre.

Even in this thread, everyone from Good Vibes Gaming have said that they just want to move on, but this thread is criticizing Andre for his silence. I'm not criticizing the thread's behaviour here, I'd also like to see Andre respond. I'm just stating factually we're not acting based primarily on the wishes of the people who left GameXplain but based directly on Andre's behaviour.

I think similarly, there are a lot of comments on YouTube that are primarily about Andre not paying his employees, but the way it's worded can come across as mocking the employees for being underpaid as much as they're mocking Andre. I haven't personally seen anything actively critical of the new GameXplain staff themselves despite the amount of "look at how little GameXplain employees are paid" comments, but I admittedly haven't been looking that much.

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
What's that 'One Winged Slayer' in your profile? I noticed a couple of others had it and both were defending Andre earlier in the topic. Probably just a coincidence.
www.resetera.com

Resetera Super Smash Bros. Sephiroth Challenge - Ended

Today it was announced that those who purchase the Sephiroth DLC or Fighter Pass Vol. 2 for Super Smash Bros would have the chance of facing Sephiroth in a challenge. To celebrate this Limited Time Event, we'll be giving away the tag "One Winged Slayer" to anyone who can defeat Sephiroth on the...

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What's that 'One Winged Slayer' in your profile? I noticed a couple of others had it and both were defending Andre earlier in the topic. Probably just a coincidence.
After Sakurai's presentation for Sephiroth, there was an event called the Sephiroth challenge in SSBU, and a mod made a thread where if anyone posted proof of beating it on very hard, you'd get the "one Winged Slayer" tag.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
I think you're misreading that one. Sympathy for the victim and punishing the abuser are two different things, and they don't necessarily align. Nerd cultures have a lot of often have a lot of people who struggle in social situations Putting that together, you can have the new staff be steamrolled in incidentally to take a potshot at Andre.

Even in this thread, everyone from Good Vibes Gaming have said that they just want to move on, but this thread is criticizing Andre for his silence. I'm not criticizing the thread's behaviour here, I'd also like to see Andre a I'm just stating factually we're not acting based primarily on the wishes of the people who left GameXplain but based directly on Andre's behaviour.

I think similarly, there are a lot of comments on YouTube that are primarily about Andre not paying his employees, but the way it's worded can come across as mocking the employees for being underpaid as much as they're mocking Andre. I haven't personally seen anything actively critical of the new GameXplain staff themselves despite the amount of "look at how little GameXplain employees are paid" comments, but I admittedly haven't been looking that much.

Yeah, I definitely agree and may have mis-worded myself a bit. The comments I've been seeing definitely are intended to call-out Andre and get him to issue a statement / take action on the matter. However, many of them will no doubt have an indirect effect on Tris and company. Even the high number of dislikes probably take their toll, regardless of the fact that they have nothing to do with the video quality.

Imagine working in an office surrounded by protests, and your boss does nothing about them. Walking in and out of work you have to face the crowds, all day long the echoes of chants distract you from your work. That's the situation the current GX employees are in right now, and it is because of Andre. Therefore, he owes it to them to do something about it (among many other reasons he should respond). His inaction, imo, demonstrates a lack of respect for his employees + lack of a lesson learned in this situation.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Some sort of lump sum payment to the previous staff, and a commitment to fairly compensate the current staff would certainly go a long way toward repairing the situation.

The allegations remind me of the horror stories by contractors who were stiffed by Trump.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I definitely agree and may have mis-worded myself a bit. The comments I've been seeing definitely are intended to call-out Andre and get him to issue a statement / take action on the matter. However, many of them will no doubt have an indirect effect on Tris and company. Even the high number of dislikes probably take their toll, regardless of the fact that they have nothing to do with the video quality.

Imagine working in an office surrounded by protests, and your boss does nothing about them. Walking in and out of work you have to face the crowds, all day long the echoes of chants distract you from your work. That's the situation the current GX employees are in right now, and it is because of Andre. Therefore, he owes it to them to do something about it (among many other reasons he should respond). His inaction, imo, demonstrates a lack of respect for his employees + lack of a lesson learned in this situation.
Totally agreed. Andre also needs to do right by the current employees of GameXplain, and ignoring the issue is only throwing them under the bus.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Was this done after people recently spoke about it? Because if so, it shows he's around but is being such a petty fuck by trying to hide and hope it goes all away.

It's not like people did this to him. Dude had to be hounded to pay people who did work for him. Here I am asking for work from someone and I've paid them, in advance and in full, and allowed them an infinite deadline because of COVID. I don't have a million subbed YouTube account and it was more than $2, I assure you. ;)
I'm confused. I just checked and Andre still follows Ash and Jon on Twitter (didn't see Derrick but Twitter only shows me 4 matching people).

Edit: Scrolled through the whole list and he still follows Steve, but he doesn't appear to follow Derrick 🤔.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
Even in this thread, everyone from Good Vibes Gaming have said that they just want to move on, but this thread is criticizing Andre for his silence. I'm not criticizing the thread's behaviour here, I'd also like to see Andre respond. I'm just stating factually we're not acting based primarily on the wishes of the people who left GameXplain but based directly on Andre's behaviour.
I understand the former Gamexplain staff wanting to just put it past them but it is imperative that in spite of their wishes we push for Andre to be accountable. Otherwise we just feed into the cycle of abuse, white supremacy, etc. It is not a good look that a white dude gets filthy rich off the backs of a bunch of others doing the bulk of the work and earning wages that don't even scrape the surface of covering the bills. And just because that's been the status quo for so long does not mean it needs to continue. Calling for action, accountability, and change is the only thing that will encourage progress.

(Not saying you specifically are saying we should remain quiet, of course!)

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It's probably really difficult to run a business where your employees all have access to viewing the revenue stream, in this case YouTube analytics. I imagine a lot of us would grow resentful if we saw what the company we work for made and how much we are being paid for our work in comparison.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Jawmuncher's challenge when Sephiroth Challenge was in Smash: If you beat Sephiroth on the hard difficulty and posted evidence, you would get that tag.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
It's probably really difficult to run a business where your employees all have access to viewing the revenue stream, in this case YouTube analytics. I imagine a lot of us would grow resentful if we saw what the company we work for made and how much we are being paid for our work in comparison.
I imagine the majority of us on here working in the US are at the very least getting paid minimum wage and on-time. Like yeah if I work for Apple and I'm only getting paid $15/hour for a trillion dollar company that is awful but at least I know exactly when my paychecks are being deposited and I don't have to harass my employer every single pay period to remember to deposit checks. You're comparing apples to oranges here, really.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the former Gamexplain staff wanting to just put it past them but it is imperative that in spite of their wishes we push for Andre to be accountable. Otherwise we just feed into the cycle of abuse, white supremacy, etc. It is not a good look that a white dude gets filthy rich off the backs of a bunch of others doing the bulk of the work and earning wages that don't even scrape the surface of covering the bills. And just because that's been the status quo for so long does not mean it needs to continue. Calling for action, accountability, and change is the only thing that will encourage progress.

(Not saying you specifically are saying we should remain quiet, of course!)
This is a white person exploiting white people. Taking a stand against Andre isn't going to raise awareness for unfair work conditions faced by people of color. It will, however, raise awareness for how people at the top can grossly profit off the labor of those at the bottom. This will hopefully discourage other employers from treating their workers so poorly.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
If it wasn't already obvious, Andre continues making a fucked up situation even worse.

Yeah, fuck this. This is actually scummy as hell. You were that afraid of the truth huh? There's like a dozen things wrong with this.

So fucking shitty because I do believe they all genuinely considered each other friends at one point and the people wronged are still being way too forgiving, at least publicly, likely in part because of that previous friendship. And yet he's out here unfollowing them and refusing to apologise like he's the one that was betrayed because they left terrible working conditions and then spoke out about them when viewers started asking questions. The reality is this is all his doing. It really seems like he's a very entitled individual despite all his posturing.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
This is a white person exploiting white people. Taking a stand against Andre isn't going to raise awareness for unfair work conditions faced by people of color. It will, however, raise awareness for how people at the top can grossly profit off the labor of those at the bottom. This will hopefully discourage other employers from treating their workers so poorly.
My argument is that the bolded part is built on white supremacy but I see your point.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
One of the positives about the old team speaking out is that it might go some way to protecting the new guys. Andre would likely have took even more liberties with them because they're coming in at a point when Andre's ego is already out of control. Now the new guy's will at least know they're not crazy and they aren't alone when Andre inevitably starts pulling the same shit. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if Andre was already planning contracts with gagging orders in them to prevent the current guys speaking out in future. Before these statements he was probably fantasising about future Disney Land trips and even more money in his own pocket while the new guys did all the hard work.

Last edited:

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

Hello there. I'm black. Those tech analysis videos on the channel? They were done by me; I did the research, the analyses, the frame counting, the pixel counting, the writing, the video editing and every single aspect of those productions (with the exception of a couple videos where Brandon or someone else edited them).

I know I wasn't full-time but your statement as is would simply erase my experience being a black person who was exploited by André. I can't even begin to get into how that has impacted my life and I choose not to, but I do exist, I can assure you that.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Hello there. I'm black. Those tech analysis videos on the channel? They were done by me; I did the research, the analyses, the frame counting, the pixel counting, the writing, the video editing and every single aspect of those productions (with the exception of a couple videos where Brandon or someone else edited them).

I know I wasn't full-time but your statement as is would simply erase my experience being a black person who was exploited by André. I can't even begin to get into how that has impacted my life and I choose not to, but I do exist, I can assure you that.
Thanks for the correction, and my apologies for assuming the makeup of the staff. I was thinking in terms of Ash and Derrick and Jonneh. I'm not as familiar with the others who may have worked for GX. But anyone who contributed to the channel deserves credit and compensation -- I hope you receive it.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England

Kinda scary that he's all like 'Black Lives Matter' on Twitter but then he treated the only black person he worked with like total shit. Keep your head up man. Your work was so good and it's that which will stand the test of time more than anything else.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So I wanted to rewatch Derrick's Castlevania 64 stream which is unfortunately trapped on gamexplain and came across the fact that he had to in the middle of the stream that was earning GX money to upload a video as Andre was out of town.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.