• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Ok. Is the war not taught in japan regularly or has it been morphed to cover up the bad parts? For some reason I would have thought it would be similar to Germany where it is taught and freely discussed in all of its details.

It is not taught nearly as much in Japan as it is in other countries. Some students do not even start the topic of WW2 until their 3rd year of Junior High School which is the equivalent of 9th grade US high school. Think about that for a second.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
The world really is going to shit isn't it. It doesn't matter that the man was a dick. To be assasinated like that is something that doesn't happen much anymore. Stuff like this can send ripples across the world.

Can we not? It's hard enough focusing on the hear and now without people saying "oh my god, this going to lead this and that we're all fucked"

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
FXHZl1WUYAAfV7u
The world really is going to shit isn't it. It doesn't matter that the man was a dick. To be assasinated like that is something that doesn't happen much anymore. Stuff like this can send ripples across the world.
Eh it does matter that they were who they were. Esp when they were someone that denied war crimes and rape stations.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
The o my
Ok. Is the war not taught in japan regularly or has it been morphed to cover up the bad parts? For some reason I would have thought it would be similar to Germany where it is taught and freely discussed in all of its details.

The only place I've ever seen the war openly and honestly discussed in Japan was the Peace Park Museum in Hiroshima.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I think this comment is predicated on Japanese pure blood theory. These comments are not merely xenophobic but based on the belief that Japanese essence (pure blood) would preclude such behavior. Unfortunately, in far right circles this is a thing to attack all minorities, sexual, racial, etc.
So basically No True Scotsman fallacy except Japanese

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell, this is insane! Why even bother doing this? He's not PM anymore. Seems pretty dumb to me.

But it's a sobering reminder that I guess even former world leaders aren't safe and this incident will no doubt encourage people to target other former world leaders.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
its fucking wild how the rape of nanjing is downplayed or outright denied considering how much is known about it

but then again the downplaying and denial is not about ignorance, its an agenda
There are very few cultures willing and able to come to terms with their past as "the bad guys". I can really only think of modern Germany who go full bore with their (Nazi) history and pull no punches. Everyone else has some faction with real power that is happy to sweep their sordid histories right under the rug. Nationalism, exceptionalism, and pride are potent enemies of truth.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
What the hell, this is insane! Why even bother doing this? He's not PM anymore. Seems pretty dumb to me.

No idea what the motivation is. However, Abe is basically the spokesperson for the LDP in certain areas. You need help in the polls, Abe can help. He was basically the kingmaker and he still helped shape policy.

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
I honestly didn't even know this guy had resigned almost two years ago. I thought he was still in office.

Nov 3, 2021
What the hell, this is insane! Why even bother doing this?
If I had to guess, I'd say that the shooter hates Japanese rightwing historical denialism, and correctly identified Abe as the biggest symbol of Japanese rightwing historical denialism.

I'd also guess that this will not decrease the amount of Japanese rightwing historical denialism.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017

I can't speak to the policies today but I do have the anecdote that our high school Japanese language teacher, who came to the US from Japan in her 20s, learned about the Pearl Harbor attack from a student the first year she taught here and her mind was blown. This was the early 2000s.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
I think this comment is predicated on Japanese pure blood theory. These comments are not merely xenophobic but based on the belief that Japanese essence (pure blood) would preclude such behavior. Unfortunately, in far right circles this is a thing to attack all minorities, sexual, racial, etc.

Thank you for providing information rather than disinformation. I find it troubling that so many people alias everything they don't like to nazi. It adds noise.

Reading about this pure blood theory throughout time I came across the Eugenic Protection Law. This is absolutely horrific. I find it hard to believe that It is not protested there.

Wait there is an even worse one which enforces sterilization for the disabled until the 90s.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
If I had to guess, I'd say that the shooter hates Japanese rightwing historical denialism, and correctly identified Abe as the biggest symbol of Japanese rightwing historical denialism.

I'd also guess that this will not decrease the amount of Japanese rightwing historical denialism.
Would be my guess as well.

Tbf, it probably wont increase the amount of Japanese rightwing historical denialism either, since Japan already maxed out that stat.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
I honestly didn't even know this guy had resigned almost two years ago. I thought he was still in office.
He resigned during the height of the pandemic issue in Japan, largely seen as being ineffective at managing it. Many people ridiculed the 'Abe mask' which was a tiny mask sent to all residents that barely covered your mouth. He cited a recurrence of his ulcerative colitis (triggered by stress) as to why.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
He resigned during the height of the pandemic issue in Japan, largely seen as being ineffective at managing it. Many people ridiculed the 'Abe mask' which was a tiny mask sent to all residents that barely covered your mouth. He cited a recurrence of his ulcerative colitis (triggered by stress) as to why.

knAREnu.png

... the hell. this is a country that had masks figured out already

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
It's barely covered at all as Japan is ashamed of their past. History was not even compulsory when my wife went to high school. She knew nothing until she went and did her university in the States. Imagine her horror and shame when she found out.

staff post - please avoid using social media/auto-translate stuff as a source

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This is a fast moving situation, made all the harder to keep up with given the fact that it is all taking place in a language that most of us do not speak or read natively.

In the hope that we can avoid any misinformation, we would ask members not to post any tweets that purport to have information on the issue. Online translation services are not always reliable and the only thing more unreliable is generally Twitter users themselves.

As such, please DO NOT use social media posts from anyone as information as to what is going on or why it happened.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
dude has to be a ghost now right? we're just waiting for the written statement?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
For what it's worth, "how much is known" isn't static; it only survives as long as efforts to keep that information available survive.
Which is why teaching accurate history is non-negotiable and why people get real serious when revisionism starts to try to gain footing. It's why people of color and jewish peoples in America get real angry when someone proposes limiting the visibility of slavery, the holocaust, japanese internment camps, indigenous peoples genocide and confinement to reservations, or the contributions of various cultures to the current tapestry of society. Not only is it fundamentally erasure, but it also sets up the cycle to repeat itself.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
There are very few cultures willing and able to come to terms with their past as "the bad guys". I can really only think of modern Germany who go full bore with their (Nazi) history and pull no punches. Everyone else has some faction with real power that is happy to sweep their sordid histories right under the rug. Nationalism, exceptionalism, and pride are potent enemies of truth.
I've heard people who visit Cambodia saying that they don't pull a lot of punches when depicting the Cambodian genocide, although I guess the circumstances around that are different.

Which is why teaching accurate history is non-negotiable and why people get real serious when revisionism starts to try to gain footing. It's why people of color and jewish peoples in America get real angry when someone proposes limiting the visibility of slavery, the holocaust, japanese internment camps, indigenous peoples genocide and confinement to reservations, or the contributions of various cultures to the current tapestry of society. Not only is it fundamentally erasure, but it also sets up the cycle to repeat itself.
Totally agreed. There needs to be a pushback against attack on education about crimes against humanity specifically because it's those attacks are a deliberate effort in order to enable further abuses.

Ssyem

Banned
Mar 15, 2022
I've heard people who visit Cambodia saying that they don't pull a lot of punches when depicting the Cambodian genocide, although I guess the circumstances around that are different.

They completely obfuscate the fact that the Khmer Rouge never really lost its power and simply transitioned into a more legitimate seeming government, with many of the same leaders.

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
Thank you for providing information rather than disinformation. I find it troubling that so many people alias everything they don't like to nazi. It adds noise.

Reading about this pure blood theory throughout time I came across the Eugenic Protection Law. This is absolutely horrific. I find it hard to believe that It is not protested there.

I know a bit, but I would no longer call myself authoritative on this (I no longer regularly read Japanese history and culture scholarship, but I do have my lived experiences in Japan on this very topic). As someone mentioned previously, and you allude, many cultures have the same or similar prejudices. Right wing Japanese politics are just unabashed about it. But it is also unfortunately insidious, and everyday people regularly employ it. Which is why I hope in this moment someone can dispel these type of comments, but I doubt it. I have never seen leadership like that there.

But to clarify, I was just trying to further explain what the initial poster was implying by mentioning naziism.

As for abe, I suspect he is already gone on life support from what they are saying. Officials must be biding time to figure out what to do.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
It's barely covered at all as Japan is ashamed of their past. History was not even compulsory when my wife went to high school. She knew nothing until she went and did her university in the States. Imagine her horror and shame when she found out.
Lol no.
Abe even defended his Class A War Criminal grandfather and said that other people pointing at him and his criminal history made him a conservative at the first place. It is not not covered in schools or the media because of shame, but because the conservative LDP was in power for basically the whole time after WWII.

What is true is that most regular Japanese folks are disgusted by the events when they first hear about it. When I did my English certificate abroad there were a lot of Japanese students who never heard of the Nanjing massacre before, and all reacted the same when I told them about it.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
that's good to know. Something rarely followed by other nations. People seem allergic to feeling guilty...or, like anything less than their forefathers (and by extension, them) being light-bearing angelic forces for good in a dark world. Positive head cannon is a helluva drug.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
He is/was a terrible person and still retained a lot of influence so, while shocking that it's happened, the fact someone wanted him dead isn't a huge surprise. I'm concerned about the wider impacts arising from this incident though.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
feels wild to me there doesnt seem to be official word yet on their condition either way

are they waiting to learn more about the attacker or sommit

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
feels wild to me there doesnt seem to be official word yet on their condition either way

are they waiting to learn more about the attacker or sommit
They might be trying to figure out if there's any threat to anyone else before putting out a statement because either this dude was a lone wolf or he was working with someone else.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Lol no.
Abe even defended his Class A War Criminal grandfather and said that other people pointing at him and his criminal history made him a conservative at the first place. It is not not covered in schools or the media because of shame, but because the conservative LDP was in power for basically the whole time after WWII.

What is true is that most regular Japanese folks are disgusted by the events when they first hear about it. When I did my English certificate abroad there were a lot of Japanese students who never heard of the Nanjing massacre before, and all reacted the same when I told them about it.
I imagine this kind of phenomena is quite common. I'd venture to say, for example, that most Americans have never heard of 3/4 of the horrific interventions the country has made into South + Central America and Africa in the last 75 years. The very long list of genocidal dictators that were propped up and supported by our government who stood by as they rained death and destruction among the men, women, and children of their countries in breathtaking numbers and with spectacular savagery. All supported by the US government, typically in the interest of making a fucking profit. So we as regular citizens just wander around and wonder why people would hate us. Why someone would say, "the chickens have come home to roost"? After all, we've done nothing but help, right?

It's so easy for perps to forget and as soon as a single generation escapes learning about it, things become myth and fake news.

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
Even if Abe made it to the hospital alive with a penetrating gunshot wound involving the chest (the heart and related blood vessels are still very much at risk even if shot from the back), the trauma team at Nara would be relatively inexperienced in handling that kind of injury, worsening odds of survival. From the sparse medical literature involving ED thoracotomy in Japan that I could find on Pubmed, it turns out that Japanese trauma centers aren't even mandated to have 24/7 operating room capability like we do here in the U.S. Things like Massive Transfusion Protocols with 10+ units of perishable blood products ready to go probably do not exist in most hospitals in Nara, which makes economical sense for a nation that rarely sees trauma of this nature.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
User Banned (1 week): spamming the thread with memes, prior warning today for the exact same behavior in another thread
FXHxSdDXkAAD3Rj

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I imagine this kind of phenomena is quite common. I'd venture to say, for example, that most Americans have never heard of 3/4 of the horrific interventions the country has made into South America and Africa in the last 75 years, the long list of genocidal dictators that were propped up and supported by our government as they rained death and destruction among the men, women, and children of their countries in breathtaking numbers and spectacular savagery. All supported by the US government, typically in the interest of making a fucking profit. So we just wander around and wonder why people would hate us. Why someone would say, "the chickens have come home to roost."

It's so easy for perps to forget and as soon as a single generation escapes learning about it, things become myth and fake news.
And then people commit the same atrocities all over again just with a twist. Also why it's so important to teach the bad as much as the good so people don't repeat the same shit. Something that many countries just never do a good job about.