• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyscourge

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2020
Am i reading this right but he pretty much saying governments should practice eugenics?
He's basically wishing for China level lockdowns and enforcement. His views sounds like complete doomerism/accelerationism, he's essentially wishing that the virus was so deadly and/or vaccines didn't exist so that everybody would be scared shitless and lockdown until the virus burned out. He thinks that the vaccines made everyone complacent (which is arguably true to an extent).

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Anti-vaxxers are always like:

"I'm not against vaccines, I'm against these authoritarian mandates."

[5 seconds pass]

"Anyway, fuck vaccines!"
Technically he's going the opposite route. He wants some sort of Bioshock level authoritarian measures to kill the virus and the vaccines are "in the way" of that.

Space Gomez

Oct 28, 2017
Maaaan I was a fan of his run on Jeopardy and he seemed like an okay Twitter follow for a while but idk what to make of this lmao

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
abndVvM.jpg

As a dude that survived Covid because of the vaccine and would have died if I got it last year - fuck you arthur.

i had a whole lot more typed but others have already pointed out the flaws in this dumbass take. What an idiot.

as an immunocomped person be claims to advocate for - shut up.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Another miserable asshole who could've just taken his money and logged off forever.

Instead, he's out here tweeting a few hundred times per day. Seems like a fun way to live.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Getting big "COVID is impacting my mental wellbeing" energy from his posts to be honest. Screams "wish this wasn't the world we live in" but it is.

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
He is saying that his plan is the "nuke the asteroid" plan.

But, like, nuking an asteroid is literally the worst thing you can do to one.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He wants authoritative government to stop covid, but screw the vaccine. What kinda take is that?

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
That's some real "gun control doesn't stop all gun deaths so that means we shouldn't do it" energy.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Ya, this is pretty wild.

First, he's just straight up wrong that the vaccines do nothing against transmission. Even with Omicron 2 shots reduce it by around 30% and with a booster its more like 70%. Its not as strong as it was pre-Omicron, but he's simply wrong, nothing more to say there.

Regardless of vaccines though, people would not be doing what he wanted them to do even if we didn't have a vaccine. In fact, I don't think people would be even THAT much more careful in a world without the vaccine. Unless there was news that it was coming soon I might even argue that they would be less careful at this point. Some people are still willing to be somewhat careful and take precautions because they believe all these countermeasures will eventually get us out of this. If they didn't see that coming, they would not be. We're two years into this. That's an eternity in people's lives. You really can't force people into their homes for years on end. Would better testing, masks, in some cases better public health choices, help? Of course. But 2 years in people in all but the most repressive countries would always be pushing back against heavy handed control, because people feel a need to live their lives.

Even beyond that, even if you could somehow get the US to commit to this, it would fall apart as soon as you went back to normal if the rest of the world didn't do the same. Someone would inevitably bring it back in. Are you going to force every country in the world to do this hugely authoritarian thing? How is that remotely feasible? He isn't making sense. Very much reads like someone who has zero understanding of human nature.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
I think I can see where he's coming from, even if I can't agree with the conclusion of blaming the vaccine. Immunocompromised are absolutely worse off now than they were when we were attempting to lock down everything, and this new normal sucks for them. But the vaccines are wonderful and have saved a ridiculous ammount of lives, so nah.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
He's obviously gone to an extreme but there is a little bit of truth in a couple of things said. This isn't a vaccine issue. It's a western society PR issue. Most western nations went with a "get the vaccine and everything will return to normal" both in message and policy (US essentially totally reopened and removed all other restrictions pretty quick after). Vaccine significantly reduces severe illness chance and reduces illness period (which has an impact on transmission/infectious period). It's a literal life saver.

But the best thing to address infection has been the same since March 2020. Masks. N95 Masks, not a shitty cloth mask, not a generic medical mask, but an N95 (or the various variations or similar level like KN94s). I see it even on this thread where vaccines were the entire focus and masks were the enemy that vaccines addressed. Americans especially were convinced "get the vaccine and throw out the mask". That was the worst path we could have ever taken for this pandemic. If we had a solid mask + vaccine mentality without the empty promise of return to normal but all the tools to mitigate, it may have been better.

It's layers of protections. There's 3 effective layers. Social distancing, N95 masks, and vaccine. In that order of best to good protection. Avoid people, will never get it, but unrealistic in long run. Reduce airborne transmission chance with N95 masks, and will most likely not get it. Reduce chance of severe illness with vaccine, and will most likely not die or be in the hospital if you do get it.

Everyone jumped to last measure and thought that would do it.

Also I mean the messaging has been awful outside of this. People are still over-washing their hands and paranoid about surfaces when the droplet transmission is so rare compared to airborne transmission. And it's because they focused on that with initial data and never corrected people.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
That ship kind of sailed a few years ago. You'd need to magically enforce a global lockdown at this point to stop transmission entirely.

But yeah, yet another person who doesn't understand that vaccines are probably one of the most effective tools for driving down the rate of transmission other than never leaving the house. The absence of vaccines isn't going to change the politics surrounding COVID. It would just mean keep trucking on but with more dead people and overwhelmed hospitals.

He also discounts the fact that many immunocomprised people could still see some benefit from themselves being vaccinated that would improve their odds of survival.

Talk about winding yourself into an illogical pretzel.

Terranigma

Oct 27, 2017
He's obviously gone to an extreme but there is a little bit of truth in a couple of things said. This isn't a vaccine issue. It's a western society PR issue. Most western nations went with a "get the vaccine and everything will return to normal" both in message and policy (US essentially totally reopened and removed all other restrictions pretty quick after). Vaccine significantly reduces severe illness chance and reduces illness period (which has an impact on transmission/infectious period). It's a literal life saver.

But the best thing to address infection has been the same since March 2020. Masks. N95 Masks, not a shitty cloth mask, not a generic medical mask, but an N95 (or the various variations or similar level like KN94s). I see it even on this thread where vaccines were the entire focus and masks were the enemy that vaccines addressed. Americans especially were convinced "get the vaccine and throw out the mask". That was the worst path we could have ever taken for this pandemic. If we had a solid mask + vaccine mentality without the empty promise of return to normal but all the tools to mitigate, it may have been better.

It's layers of protections. There's 3 effective layers. Social distancing, N95 masks, and vaccine. In that order of best to good protection. Avoid people, will never get it, but unrealistic in long run. Reduce airborne transmission chance with N95 masks, and will most likely not get it. Reduce chance of severe illness with vaccine, and will most likely not die or be in the hospital if you do get it.

Everyone jumped to last measure and thought that would do it.

Also I mean the messaging has been awful outside of this. People are still over-washing their hands and paranoid about surfaces when the droplet transmission is so rare compared to airborne transmission. And it's because they focused on that with initial data and never corrected people.
Only reason I still wash my hands an watch our when it comes to surfaces, is to lower the chances of other pathogens too, reucing the chances of getting sick across the board which also saves me on having "scares" during this pandemic, thinking it migth be covid and having to test and quarantine as a result.

Beefsquid

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I mean, he's not entirely wrong. The US is basically doing a vaccine-only approach (and pretty poor one at that). I don't think he should be dismissing the vaccine as much as he is, but I get the frustration that folks are basically acting like things are back to normal when they certainly aren't.
Probably should have left this one in drafts Arthur.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I mean, he's not entirely wrong. The US is basically doing a vaccine-only approach (and pretty poor one at that). I don't think he should be dismissing the vaccine as much as he is, but I get the frustration that folks are basically acting like things are back to normal when they certainly aren't.
Probably should have left this one in drafts Arthur.

What?

the vaccine doesn't do what people are saying it does and that's been obvious for a while now

I should have to weigh the dilemma between quarantining or GETTING SHOT

You are being far too kind to him for the insanity he's spouting off.

Status
Not open for further replies.