TheLastOne

Oct 25, 2017

Thinking a lot about this leaked video from Mixer GM Shilpa Yadla basically telling employees not to complain about anything.

This might be the worst town hall speech I've even seen, and I've worked for some actual sinking ships.

Unbelievable that this can be considered acceptable at Microsoft.

With leadership like that, it seems this was inevitable.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Apparently the people on that team lacked one to not understand how that analogy just should not be used.
Even when you remove the context, it's such a shitty analogy to use in any business/official capacity.
Sounds like something you might expect to hear in fiction like GTA. But when you're witness to the sick reality that such satire is based on, it's time to start taking names.

Oct 27, 2017
He just retweeted this... sounds like it wasn't the outcome he wanted.
I mean mixer shutting down didn't really have anything to do with this particular episode so I get that he feels that it's not the outcome he was looking for but it was likely to get shut down anyway. Now if the Manager gets fired is another thing but that's not going to happen during their conversation. It's likely to be reviewed by HR again

Techno

Powered by Friendship™
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What a fucking piss take, spineless response too.

Dude is a Salesforce engineer now, that's pretty cool.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
This might be the worst town hall speech I've even seen, and I've worked for some actual sinking ships.

Unbelievable that this can be considered acceptable at Microsoft.

With leadership like that, it seems this was inevitable.

They yoinked the Mixer app from Xbox a few months prior to this, so it's likely they noticed the failing leadership there and that just compounds with the poor growth rate.

And yeah, every time I see this clip I just feel awful for every person in the room that had to sit through it.

Oct 30, 2017
The solution to resolving the racist practices inherit at Mixer is to shutter the entire platform and merge it with a goliath platform that propagates nationalism and poor moderation.

Smart move, Microsoft.

one

Nov 30, 2017
Did Phil Spencer pay him extra money he deserves on top of permanent Game Pass membership?

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
It matters because Phil wants to root out the scum that will be part of the reorganization. Not every employee will be let go and he's going to want to know which to keep to help further the non-racist, non-sexist culture.
Let's be real: Phil ultimately answers to the same bosses this this HR department answers to. Even he can only go so far. I wish Milly gets some compensation for this BS.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Let's be real: Phil ultimately answers to the same bosses this this HR department answers to. Even he can only go so far. I wish Milly gets some compensation for this BS.
He's on the same level as the EVP of HR and they both report directly into the CEO. In my experience this will likely lead to something happening but its effectiveness is entirely dependent on how committed Satya Nadella is to stamping out this kind of shit.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

Spencer is an EVP and sits at the high table. The only person he reports to at Microsoft is Satya Nadella.
Good luck convincing anyone here that Nadella has a high tolerance for racists.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Spencer is an EVP and sits at the high table. The only person he reports to at Microsoft is Satya Nadella.
Good luck convincing anyone here that Nadella has a high tolerance for racists.
High tolerance for racists or not, good luck to anyone expecting Microsoft to admit they had a racist running things for years and their HR department found no wrongdoing.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Why would people even consider that a multimillion dollar deal between two giant companies could be thrown together in half a day? Of course Mixer going to Facebook was unrelated. I'd feel kind of bad for Facebook if they weren't Facebook, getting the resources of a company that was just revealed as a toxic cesspool.

Drksage

Oct 30, 2017
Welp, so much for waiting on something to be done. The racist at mixer just got publicly named and works at Microsoft form all the tweets containing #FireNataliaDomingo

thread update or new thread?

edit:

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I don't think the effort to get the specific person fired needs a new thread, no. It's still the same conversation.

It's also something that is doubtful to happen until Microsoft perform due process in investigating the claims - including probably interviewing this person for their version of events.

Drksage

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think the effort to get the specific person fired needs a new thread, no. It's still the same conversation.

It's also something that is doubtful to happen until Microsoft perform due process in investigating the claims - including probably interviewing this person for their version of events.

well idk, since it's new news and it's not just milly denouncing her, there seems to be multiple cases and instances were it was reported and ignored by Microsoft themselves, that's why I said thread update or new thread. But I ain't making a new thread. I hate making threads.

I'll leave it up to Armadilo

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
Hmm I smell a Karen

tenor.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
As much shit that EA gets they treat people amazingly (for the most part, obviously gonna have some bad apples when you have that many people)

EA is only better now because people like "EAWife" spoke out about their incredibly abusive practices back in the day. If this toxic culture extends beyond Mixer and into Microsoft at large, hopefully more people will come forward to force changes.

Gxgear

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Corporate culture tends to suppress real issues within the workplace. You're always asked to assume people's comments and actions are well-intended even when they're clearly not, and that to improve the company culture you should work on yourself to raise its overall level.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
well idk, since it's new news and it's not just milly denouncing her, there seems to be multiple cases and instances were it was reported and ignored by Microsoft themselves, that's why I said thread update or new thread. But I ain't making a new thread. I hate making threads.

I'll leave it up to Armadilo
have updated to show that she currently still works at Microsoft even after Mixer got shut down

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have also included the tweet from the other employee as I have advised mods to make changes as they wish to better explain it

Drksage

Oct 30, 2017
EA is only better now because people like "EAWife" spoke out about their incredibly abusive practices back in the day. If this toxic culture extends beyond Mixer and into Microsoft at large, hopefully more people will come forward to force changes.
weird, it quoted me instead of the actual poster that actually said that

have updated to show that she currently still works at Microsoft even after Mixer got shut down
Have also included the tweet from the other employee as I have advised mods to make changes as they wish to better explain it

giphy.gif

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
I've read some sad stuff this week, but seeing someone in a manager position who wants to justify her racist remarks by using google is next level stupid.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
I know from personal experience that Microsoft doesn't do business like this. Unfortunate he got stuck in a group that seemed to be systemically corrupt all the way up to management. When they aren't reporting properly to HR, something is seriously wrong. Hopefully he is able to be re-hired and that leadership team fired.

Microsoft did dealings with USA borderguard regarding the internment camps. Managers on upper scale have a different mindset

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also what the timing between this and shutting down Mixer, they were probably planning on selling it but after all these accusations they needed to close the deal as soon as possible probably

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, so much for waiting on something to be done. The racist at mixer just got publicly named and works at Microsoft form all the tweets containing #FireNataliaDomingo

thread update or new thread?

edit:

I thought for sure that Shilpa Yadla was bad and maybe it was her, but I guess they've got someone else even somehow even more terrible in there. This is just pure rot, needs to be cleared.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like when "increasing diversity", they need to filter for racist assholes and abusive sociopaths.

Getting a bunch of, like-minded, specially selected "elite" minorities willing to carry company hatchets doesn't help anyone.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a white software engineer and there are lots of times when entities are labled as slaves or masters. I've always thought this was a little weird and wondered if it was offensive to black people. Like for instance our builds are all handled by Jenkins. Jenkins implements master/slave architecture (as well as lots of other apps/systems). When discussing a problem with a build we often refer to the "jenkins slaves". These are the vm's that the build is running on. I always felt kind of weird discussing slaves in this context but literally everyone does it without batting and eye. Is this problematic? Is anyone here offended by this nomenclature?

Here is a wikipedia article for some additional context: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master/slave_(technology)
In mechanical engineering we have similar terminology regarding for controls systems. It's mostly been changed to primary/secondary. Master/slave is completely inappropriate.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Seems like when "increasing diversity", they need to filter for racist assholes and abusive sociopaths.

Getting a bunch of, like-minded, specially selected "elite" minorities willing to carry company hatchets doesn't help anyone.

Unfortunately in corporations large enough, some amount of those people will always filter through. They'll pay lip service to the right ideas and principles with the right people, then act otherwise.

Drksage

Oct 30, 2017
Also what the timing between this and shutting down Mixer, they were probably planning on selling it but after all these accusations they needed to close the deal as soon as possible probably
No I don't think it happened like that, i think it was pure coincidence that the accusation came out almost at the same time the announcement happened. Although the silence since the meeting leaves a lot to think about. I mean yes, Phil and Milly had a meeting, but at the end looked like nothing happened, Millys tweet after the meeting felt like the core issue wasn't addressed, and Phils tweet after that felt like PR, but that's just me, but then again seeing how after that, the whole #FireNataliaDomingo thing went, that it was reported multiple times all the way back to 2018 as seen from WesWilsons letter. Yea makes me think Milly wasn't pleased with the outcome and didn't have no other option than name her publicly.

rein

Apr 16, 2018
This fucking sucks.

This is modern racism folks. Passive aggressive and inappropriate comments and then gaslighting the other person because "i didn't mean it like that".