• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lucia

Oct 18, 2021
Argentina
Reasons: Strong Language and Violence.

www.esrb.org

Forspoken - ESRB

Forspoken - Mature 17+ - This is an action role-playing game in which player assume the role of a woman (Frey) who finds herself teleported to a fantasy world.

• In-Game Purchases (PC, PlayStation 5)
Rating Summary

This is an action role-playing game in which player assume the role of a woman (Frey) who finds herself teleported to a fantasy world. As players try to find their way home, they can explore and traverse terrain, interact with characters, and battle fantastical creatures. Players use a magical vambrace and other attacks (e.g., leach, disperse, tendril) to defeat zombie-like creatures and monsters in frenetic combat. Battles are accompanied by colorful effects, screen-shaking, and cries of pain. Cutscenes depict additional acts of violence: a character attempting to jump off a building; monsters killing civilians; a character held at gunpoint. The words "f**k" and "sh*t" are heard in the game.

Last edited:

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
And yet no one over the age of 15 will be able to play it without cringing

(Hope they take a similar risk with Final Fantasy XVI as is suggested by that teaser site)

OP
OP
Lucia

Lucia

Oct 18, 2021
Argentina
In regards to in-game purchase I wouldn't be worry yet, the same description was given to Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart because it had deluxe edition content.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
edit: but yeah i dont see anything besides cursing that might warrant that rating

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Based on the descriptors, seems like it might be primarily for F-bombs.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
That doesn't sound like an M rated game? Guess SE didn't pony up the cash that got VII Remake a T.
15zcD0R.png

vs
k8fCEQg.png

T6xks1u.gif

Oct 25, 2017
That's surprising. Everything about the trailer reeked of "Rated T".
I'm guessing they use "Fuck" more than once.j
Actually, what's the ESRB standard on that word? With PG-13 movies, they're allowed to say it once or else it goes R.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Some heavily strong language and violence, I'll take it

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Sooo, do we think the being held at gunpoint will happen pre or post isekai-ing? Because I fucking love the 'lone gun in an unexpected time or place' trope (see: Yojimbo), but it has a high chance of being laughable if it's post here, just judging by the general execution.

Nahbac

Nov 11, 2018
That's surprising. Everything about the trailer reeked of "Rated T".
I'm guessing they use "Fuck" more than once.j
Actually, what's the ESRB standard on that word? With PG-13 movies, they're allowed to say it once or else it goes R.
I don't think I've ever played or heard of a T rated game where "fuck" is used so the esrb must not allow it

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Without the language this would be a T-rated game, which is a pretty amusing reminder that the film equivalent R-rating could have some very tame films as well compared to violent PG-13 movies as long as the word "fuck" is said more than once.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't sound like an M rated game? Guess SE didn't pony up the cash that got VII Remake a T.
15zcD0R.png

vs
k8fCEQg.png

T6xks1u.gif

According to the ESRB "language" is defined as mild to moderate use of profanity and "strong language" is explicit and/or frequent use of profanity" which is a really funny dividing line. I wonder if FFVIIR was successfully argued down to a T based on like, number of swears vs. the length of the script lmao

D O T

Jan 1, 2021
Kinda hoped the rating would mean more mature thematic story that the usual jrpg wont even tread, but the reality maybe it's for curse words and vices.

GamerEDM

Banned
May 7, 2020
i haven't been impressed with what they have shown so far but the M rating has me interested

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
According to the ESRB "language" is defined as mild to moderate use of profanity and "strong language" is explicit and/or frequent use of profanity" which is a really funny dividing line. I wonder if FFVIIR was successfully argued down to a T based on like, number of swears vs. the length of the script lmao
Honestly, what floors me is how everything with Corneo didn't make VII Remake an instant M.

Then again, this is an organization that lists "sexual violence" under the banner of "sexuality" as opposed to "violence."
bbu03dO.gif

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
I'm gonna wait for the compilation videos of the awkward gratuitous swearing, because I sure won't be experiencing it for myself at that entry price

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
As someone who submitted and still submits games to the ESRB, it can be weird from a moral perspective, but you almost always know what rating you are going to get back. Usually if a game can reign in a bit it could have a bunch of things like FFVIIR rating because that game limits the use of swear words and how it depicts alcohol and how much blood is used and how if it pools on the ground or not.

But if you Just Cause it and show people drinking bear bottles on screen and getting inebriated that would be "crossing the line" or if you say "fuck" or "shit" more than a half a dozen times that is "crossing the line" or if human blood pools on the ground that "crosses the line".

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I can also see a character attempting to jump off a building within a certain context would also move the ESRB to give it an M rating.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
Man, I can't remember what movie it was, but it was making a meta joke about film ratings and how you are allowed a single use of the word "fuck" and still be granted a PG-13 rating. Possibly something similar in game ratings?