• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Such a random cutscene to showcase. I want this game to be great I really do, but I am just not impressed with anything I have seen so far.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
The visuals look slightly improved... But I don't know what to think about the game anymore. I'm still hoping they make it good somehow.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Why was this in the Netflix showcase? That dialogue felt better than the trailer-cut stuff we heard so far btw. It actually made me feel very at ease in terms of voice direction, which is good.

But weird choice to show this here and this particular cutscene.

OP
OP
benzy

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't sure at first, but I looked ahead of the clip timestamp and Ella Balinska was being interviewed. She's currently in the new Netflix Resident Evil show, so I guess they also wanted to show a cinematic scene from her game as well.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I know some aren't excited about this, but as a gamer who hasn't played many of Square's other RPG games... I'm excited to try this one out. Hopefully I get to play FF7 remake before so...or maybe it might be better to play it after. 👀

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
I think that is the best cutscene and voice direction shown us from the game yet. I mean it's a random ass cutscene to show in a random ass netflix event, but I thought the performances were pretty good here.

The archiver sounds like an "isekai" character who truly believes in what she says while Frey conveys the natural reaction of a person playing the game if said person wasn't really into games in the first place. Like it all must sound so ridiculous.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I think that is the best cutscene and voice direction shown us from the game yet. I mean it's a random ass cutscene to show in a random ass netflix event, but I thought the performances were pretty good here.

The archiver sounds like an "isekai" character who truly believes in what she says while Frey conveys the natural reaction of a person playing the game if said person wasn't really into games in the first place. Like it all must sound so ridiculous.

Yeah. It felt pretty natural, like you expect such a conversation to sound.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Super random cutscene lol but that was a really cute and endearing scene. Good interaction and banter. Really excited to see how this game turns out

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Needs more 'fuck!' so people can come in here and complain about Frey again for the 9000th time.

Odd cutscene to show, but I liked the way the Archivist described Tanta Syla(?). She seems to really be putting those muscles to good use.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting cutscene. Looks like they put a ton of effort into the animations and scene transitions. Also, the general acting/ banter felt natural, pretty good for a Square Enix game, where they are kind of lacking in this area generally. Felt like I was watching a show.

I'm pretty interested in the game. I hope they continue to give it any needed polish before release.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
It's weird how everyone in this world speaks with a British accent, but Ella Balinska (the MC's voice actor, who is British) is being directed to speak without her native accent. I think it would've been better.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
The presentation is really good! Something about the faces makes me feel a bit of uncanny valley though.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
That was a lot better in terms of voice direction. Day 1 on Netflix? (lol)

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
Agreeing with what everyone here has already said: Good voice direction, and even the facial animation is solid. However, this was such a bizarre cutscene to show off. Zero context in regards to anything that's going on, and gives no reason for why the viewer should care. The dark archive hall didn't really help with things either, visually.

It was a good cutscene, direction wise, but a random one to just show off.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I liked this, it is quite random for those who may haven't watched anything about the game, but it's probably early game ^^.

I can't wait to see more of this game :)

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Random cutscenes but it was pretty well done.

Still quietly optimistic about this one but could go either way.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I missed this because I skipped the preshow.

Context for why it was shown here:
Ella Balinska the voice of Fey was being interviewed because she is also in the Netflix Resident Evil show. On the way out they showed the Forsaken clip. I guess SE didn't want to give Netflix a full exclusive trailer or anything big but also didn't want to miss the extra exposure since she was doing the interview anyway.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
0e3.png

Risitas

May 13, 2022
Facial animation looks weird but the cutscene is good and funny, really feels like an Isekai , I'm really hyped about this game

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Really really hope this is good. I like JRPGS and love a lot about the genre (music, art, crazy inventive worlds, colourful palettes, compelling casts) but I do wish we'd see more JRPGs that temper that often borderline-obnoxious anime-ness and dramatic Japanese Soap Opera-ness that often seems inextricable from the genre; the Xenoblades, Final Fantasies, Bravely series, and Kingdom Hearts are great, but they can be a bit cloying or eye-rolling at times with their anime-isms and corniness

While still clearly very corny, and with a lot of anime-isms (it's an Isekai) Forspoken looks to be a cool blend of JRPG and WRPG in tone and presentation.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
I missed this because I skipped the preshow.

Context for why it was shown here:
Ella Balinska the voice of Fey was being interviewed because she is also in the Netflix Resident Evil show. On the way out they showed the Forsaken clip. I guess SE didn't want to give Netflix a trailer but also didn't want to miss the extra exposure since she was doing the interview anyway.

Ooohh, I didn't bother to rewind, because I'm on mobile.
Thanks for the context. Makes sense!

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
I'm pretty excited for this game, as long as reviews are good I'm gonna eye sales like a hawk and nab it as soon as it hits 50%

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, that was kinda good...?

If that level of quality in music/writing/VO can be expected for all of the cutscenes, that'd be very cool.

At the same time, did the faces get worse? Or am I just getting used to next gen? Everyone looks weirdly smooth...

Last edited:

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
What has Nteflix to do with the game?
Also. The facial animations don't look top notch tbh.

Voice acting and directing looked good, but yeah, dead eyes and puppet like mouth flaps (of the archivist) looked weird at times.

I thought we went past uncanny valley for quite some time. Here it is back on track.

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
looks great, fantastic animation - especially the way the archivist was shifting that hammer in her hand at the beginning - but the writing really bugs me. Feels like this could be a clip from any Marvel movie, and i mean that in a bad way. But i guess that's the point of making this an isekai story instead of fully committing to the fantasy setting.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Face Animations were off

Moving eyebrows is hugely important in facial animation.
And the eyebrows were too static

Even KH2 animations had a lot of eyebrow movement which made it look good

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
The voice acting is exceptional. Lots of nuance from the libr- er archivist in their lines.