• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2913

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I can't see the appeal. Tried it a few times with a few friends. It's boring, unbalanced and the general "building" aspect is almost completely negligible and the game would have been better with a much bigger focus on it, or doing without it entirely.
Sounds like you really had a rough time playing/got wrecked or you don't know what you're talking about. Probably both.

Building helps in all types of situations, it doesn't matter if it's the end of the game or the start of the game or the middle of the game.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this really proofs my points. It's exactly relevant at the end. And almost only then due to being forced to move and having no benefit of building anything before, since it can simply be avoided. Apart from that it's a gimmick and nothing more.

Building is the most important aspect in Fortnite BR.. wut? Its negligible if you want to be an open target and have the urge to return to lobby ASAP. Sounds like a personal issue IMO.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this really proofs my points. It's exactly relevant at the end. And almost only then due to being forced to move and having no benefit of building anything before, since it can simply be avoided. Apart from that it's a gimmick and nothing more.

Look up any YouTube video of any decent player playing, they're building constantly to put up barriers, get the jump on people and get around the map.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It's extremely important in pretty much every gun fight, as 9 times out of 10 you'll be out in the open and will need it for cover, to either fight or run away. Very important in traversal too.
It's probably the most important part of the game, especially against anyone half decent.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really? I havent touched it since a few days after it hit PS4. Tried it and it was ok but not very fun for me. Has it improved since then?

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Sounds like you really had a rough time playing/got wrecked or you don't know what you're talking about. Probably both.

Building helps in all types of situations, it doesn't matter if it's the end of the game or the start of the game or the middle of the game.
Not really. We got <10 regularly and top 5 a couple of times. We got second once. Of course you have matches that you lose instantly, but that's part of the game. Fortnite isn't really all that hard to get into. We played 3 days or something, a couple of hours each. Enough to know the map inside out and make an informed opinion about it. Neither of us really liked it enough to keep wanting to play.

Building is the most important aspect in Fortnite BR.. wut? Its negligible if you want to be an open target and have the urge to return to lobby ASAP. Sounds like a personal issue IMO.
It's hardly a gimmick when it's a main tool for mobility and the thing that absolutely differentiates it from the competition when it comes to encounters.
If building comes down to "place a wall to deter far away fire" or "a ramp to scale a mountain" it's a gimmick and not the core aspect of the game. You even start without resources, which I found odd, when building is "such a big" aspect. Like I said, it should have an heavier emphasize on the building aspect or should do without it. It's a middle-of-the-ground thing, which I didn't find enjoyable.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Really? I havent touched it since a few days after it hit PS4. Tried it and it was ok but not very fun for me. Has it improved since then?
It's gotten constant updates. Weapons, items, trap additions, the entire map has been given an overhaul, yeah. It's been improved.

If building comes down to "place a wall to deter far away fire" or "a ramp to scale a mountain" it's a gimmick and not the core aspect of the game. You even start without resources, which I found odd, when building is "such a big" aspect. Like I said, it should have an heavier emphasize on the building aspect or should do without it. It's a middle-of-the-ground thing, which I didn't find enjoyable.
You don't start with a gun or ammo, and I would say it's a big thing as well. It's kind of the point to start off with nothing.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Its really damn fun. I play it everyday almost. Epic has a winner and their support for it has been fantastic.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017

This makes no sense. The objective of the game is to not die. If building helps you not die and helps you kill other players then it's a core aspect of the game. It's central to traversal, looting, high ground, cover, offense, and defense.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really. We got <10 regularly and top 5 a couple of times. We got second once. Of course you have matches that you lose instantly, but that's part of the game. Fortnite isn't really all that hard to get into. We played 3 days or something, a couple of hours each. Enough to know the map inside out and make an informed opinion about it. Neither of us really liked it enough to keep wanting to play.

U don't start with a gun.are you going to say shooting is not an important aspect in the game? Sorry but your logic is flawed.you just sound like someone who played the game for annhour, got dunked on,and are now ranting on the internet about the game.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I agree and super well deserved. Some people seem genuinely upset it's performing as well as it is, which is hilarious to me. The game is phenomenal fun.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If building to gain an advantage over enemies in a fight doesn't count, and building to get around the map doesn't count, what would need to be done for you to count it as a 'core' part of the game?

signal

Oct 28, 2017
It seems unnaturally popular. Like people I know on twitter that both never tweet about games and never play games will have one or two random Fortnite clip retweets.

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
I think a lot of young NBA players play Fortnite too. Karl Anthony Towns admitted that him & Wiggins stayed up til morning playing Fortnite after an NBA game. lol

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
This makes no sense. The objective of the game is to not die. If building helps you not die and helps you kill other players then it's a core aspect of the game.
Do you need to build anything apart from a single piece wall or staircase + walls to win the game? No. Building is a tool, not the core aspect. Just like a jetpack would be. If you'd have to actually build elaborate fortresses and defend it or something or could fortify buildings it would be a core aspect.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Starting out with nothing in battle royal games is the point, the fact most players gather resources shows it's an important mechanic and not a "gimmick".

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It differentiates itself pretty significantly from PUBG by being way more arcadey, the important of the building system, and being way more polished easier to run. I'm not surprised it's found a way to carve out it's own very large audience separate from PUBG.

Do you need to build anything apart from a single piece wall or staircase + walls to win the game?
...Yes? You build sniper towers/bunkers pretty much every game especially near the end.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
its funny (except for game devs of course) because PUBG and Fortnite killed any hope of new mobas or moba-like games making it (as if it wasnt hard enough already) just like mobas killed any hope of new mmos making it, and by the time a bunch of studios try to get in on the battleground craze (since games take time to make), the new hotness will be around that nobody saw coming and a bunch of battleground games will fail. And round and round we go :/

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
U don't start with a gun.are you going to say shooting is not an important aspect in the game? Sorry but your logic is flawed.you just sound like someone who played the game for annhour, got dunked on,and are now ranting on the internet about the game.
I don't rant. I merely said I didn't find the game enjoyable. Are opinions "ranting" to you? People argued and I responded. I have even plainly described my time with the game, so I have no clue why you argue in such a hostile way.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you need to build anything apart from a single piece wall or staircase + walls to win the game? No. Building is a tool, not the core aspect. Just like a jetpack would be. If you'd have to actually build elaborate fortresses and defend it or something or could fortify buildings it would be a core aspect.

I've seen people win without using guns, so by your logic guns aren't a core aspect.

You'll never consistently win in Fortnite if you don't build.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really dislike all the building shit. I wish it was just straight scavenge like PUBG. I don't want mini Minecraft in my shooter, it cheapens the actual gunplay.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't rant. I merely said I didn't find the game enjoyable. Are opinions "ranting" to you? People argued and I responded. I have even plainly described my time with the game, so I have no clue why you argue in such a hostile way.
Because the things you are saying makes no sense.

Your only real reasoning you don't like building is clearly because you are not good at it. You can get better over time, and once you do the games possibilities open up a ton. don't make excuses as to why the games building is negligible.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas

Just stop, its fine that you didnt like the game but your argument that building is an unecessary gimmick isnt going to fly.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017

You also don't start with a gun or ammo. Building takes more skill than shooting in their BR mode. You can ask any number of streamers that have played for thousands of hours, and they'll tell you the same thing. (Myth, Ninja, Summit, etc.) Its cool if you dont find it enjoyable, but building is far from a gimmick. If you do think it is a gimmick, well then you're either just playing the game wrong or you don't know much about it.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Crazy how fast a lot of streamer and YouTubers got super big too. Like Dakotaz who went from sub 100K, to just under a million subs on YouTube in 4 months.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah its pretty crazy. My sports game only friends are all into it.

I think it's definitely more popular in the west than PUBG. Anecdotal of course, but none of my friends have heard of PUBG and all think Fortnite invented the genre.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Well I mean it's freaking free, and based on an extremely popular paid game. I continue to fail to see how it being popular means anything given the two qualifiers.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, noticing this game has really started hitting the mainstream culture. People playing it in schools, mentions by famous people, millions of twitch and YT views daily.

It's really easy to watch, play, and accessible for all kinds of ages. It's such a runaway success IMO.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well I mean it's freaking free, and based on an extremely popular paid game. I continue to fail to see how it being popular means anything given the two qualifiers.

Because free games that base themselves off popular games are a dime a dozen and almost none hit 2 million concurrent players or even close to it.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Are people mostly playing the Battle Royale mode or the original mode(s?), too?

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Just stop, its fine that you didnt like the game but your argument that building is an unecessary gimmick isnt going to fly.
Would the game work without building in its current aspect? There you have your answer. If it was never introduced it wouldn't be missed. Building is neither the core nor main aspect of the game. The building there is, feels very gimmicky and middle-of-the-ground, primarily due to the mode that surrounds it, that being always forced to be on the move and gathering the resources needed to build anything and being very limited in what you can actually build. IN MY OPINION (because people have a very hard time seeing it as such), the mode would be better with a bigger focus on building OR without building entirely.

There, my shit flew. Have fun.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've honestly never seen an image or video of the game and I have no idea what it is other than it's made by Epic and has a PUBG mode.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would the game work without building in its current aspect? There you have your answer. If it was never introduced it wouldn't be missed. Building is neither the core nor main aspect of the game. The building there is, feels very gimmicky and middle-of-the-ground, primarily due to the mode that surrounds it, that being always forced to be on the move and gathering the resources needed to build anything and being very limited in what you can actually build. IN MY OPINION (because people have a very hard time seeing it as such), the mode would be better with a bigger focus on building OR without building entirely.

There, my shit flew. Have fun.

The game would be nowhere near as popular without the building. Decent players build in every single gun fight. How would they put a bigger focus on it when it's already something you need to use a lot to consistently do well?

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm using this as an excuse to give the game another go, and it just makes me want to play PUBG.