• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
After a meteoric rise to popularity in 2018, Fortnite generated more than $5 billion in its first year for Epic Games, new financial documents reveal. The document, made public as part of Epic's court battle with Apple over the latter's App Store practices, shows that the game brought in more than $9 billion total for Epic in 2018 and 2019.

The document doesn't break down how much Epic specifically profited from Fortnite, but the company reported more than $5.5 billion in profit from the two-year period. In the document, the company provided predictions for 2020, but since Epic doesn't usually publicly provide financial statements, it's hard to tell how accurate the predictions ended up being.

The revenue from Fortnite far outshone any other businesses that Epic ran at the time — "other games" (such as Rocket League, acquired by Epic in 2019) made $108 million in revenue in 2018 and 2019, and Epic's engine brought in $221 million over the same span. Epic's Game Store, launched at the end of 2018, brought in a total of $235 million between 2018 and 2019.
God damn. No wonder Epic is able to afford so much.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
Still funny that people think that Epic cannot afford to keep on fighting this case. Even if there is more competition in the BR space now, there still isnt a cultural phenomenon that has overtaken Fortnite (well maybe Minecraft)

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
That's insane! At least they're putting the money in good use!

How much GTA Online makes btw?

Cess007

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
tenor.gif

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We've got nine billion revenue
Yeah Fortnite, we 'bout to get cash (get cash)
Who the hottest in the world right now?
Just wiped down PU's Battlegrounds

Unreal T. just got downed
We revived it, developing it were its fans
Now we're in the walled gardens
Look at the store, we're the top-grossing

Take me to your open ecosystem to play Fortnite today
You can take me to PlayStation, but not i O S
I really love not to share profits with you
We can bring down these walls (Gardens of wall)

Last edited:

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
That's too much money. You wouldn't know what to do with it... subsidizing an new game storefront, building a 1 miillion square foot campus, ... just random shit

They should put out a dedicated Fortnite console with that money if they're so mad about hardware folks taking cuts

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Damn. 30 million sales of Animal Crossing at $60 each nets $1.8 billion in revenue and that was a jaw dropping success. $9 billion over two years is staggering.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Worse - Apple is over $2 trillion dollars worth. I'll never understand people rooting for any rich company.

because the default position of this forum whenever any sort of news story comes out or news breaks is "pick a side". People can't seem to fathom discussing this industry through any other lens other than "Company X is right and Company Y is wrong"

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Insane that this is all from cosmetics etc...

Imagine a world where Augmented Reality is in normal eye glasses etc... And people are buying artwork etc... For their apartment via AR.

$$$

Or a VR world like in Ready Player One.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At this Point Fortnite is paying for all the money that the Epic store is burning up, when Fortnite dies, I can see Epic losing a lot more than just one game

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
I'm sure they'll finish that Unreal Tournament project with all that money!

Stop hurting me ;(

if anything its more insulting they left UT to.rot when you consider it would take approximately zero percent of their resources to finish and make it a killer product

Tried playing 99 the other day and it was as good as dead, same with 2k4

Such sadness. That type of multiplayer fps needs a real comeback. Maybe a new quake can fit the bill

No the quake game from a few years ago didn't do it. Always preferred ut personally tho