• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ok, so I will try and be brief. I mostly play Fortnite o PS4 and have the battle pass for the current season. My brother in law who games on Xbox asked me to play last night and I agreed. I go to sign into the Fornite game with my current email info and it says I cant because they are not linked. Few minutes later I go to the EPIC site and link my account that has my PS4 to my Xbox as well. I then go and try to sign in again thinking everything should be good to go I discovered that is not the case.

Apparently between PS4 & Xbox you cannot have the same EPIC account tied to both accounts. To make matters worse you cannot simply unlink them, instead you have to send them an email and wait for a response which I have heard can take days or possibly weeks. I am just a little baffled by how big this game is realizing people may want to jump around on different platforms that apparently you get gated out from doing so, at least between the PS4 and Xbox.

Any one have any solution to this problem that doesnt result in me basically having to wait for EPIC to make it possible to play a game on another console?

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a platform rights issue. It's not really their problem. All of your purchases are tied to the Epic account and not the PSN/XBL account. It's a way to prevent you from buying a bunch of stuff on one platform and constantly playing musical chairs with it.

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Had the same problem. Your option is email them and tell them to remove the xbl account from the epic account and only the xbl account because if it's the PSN account you'll basically lose everything.

After they disconnect it (yes it took weeks for me) you make a new epic account that will be solely for Xbl linking and link the xbl account to that epic account. Then you can play.

Lirrik

Oct 25, 2017
Their account system screws Xbox players, and we probably have Sony to thank for that.

In their announcement for mobile port they say "In partnership with our friends at Sony, Fortnite Battle Royale will support Cross Play and Cross Progression between PlayStation 4, PC, Mac, iOS and eventually Android." So basically Xbox is out of the picture because they have a partnership with Sony, and instead of supporting Xbox way of "we allow cross-play with anyone" they support Sony's "we allow cross-play but not with other console manufacturers".

OP
OP
DeaDPooL_jlp

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Had the same problem. Your option is email them and tell them to remove the xbl account from the epic account and only the xbl account because if it's the PSN account you'll basically lose everything.

After they disconnect it (yes it took weeks for me) you make a new epic account that will be solely for Xbl linking and link the xbl account to that epic account. Then you can play.

Maybe I am just lazy but this seems like way too much work to fix what should be a simple problem or NO problem at all. Really unfortunate cause its about the only negative experience I have had with EPIC and fortnite since launch.

DontBlink

Oct 25, 2017
Same thing happened to me. Waited three weeks for a response to finally get my account unlinked.

And I don't even care about carrying over stats and progression, just wanted to play as a separate character on the same account but nope.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Same problem OP. I sent them an email and never heard back. Pretty frustrating. Ill try it again I guess

Heatster101

Oct 27, 2017
Same problem for me as the OP
I have emailed them over 9 times now and they still haven't done anything about, its been almost 2 weeks, there customer service is awful , what can be done ??

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
They don't have the support staff to handle all of the requests. They'll probably just make a tool to do it in the future.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It's apparently caused by PC and PS4 having cross-progression, whereas Xbox doesn't.
I think the only solution at the moment is to have a separate account for your Xbox. It's a really stupid solution I know and sucks for Xbox users.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
It's apparently caused by PC and PS4 having cross-progression, whereas Xbox doesn't.
I think the only solution at the moment is to have a separate account for your Xbox. It's a really stupid solution I know and sucks for Xbox users.

do you need XBL Gold to play Fortnite? (or any free to play game like Warframe, World of Tanks)

GoldenKings

Oct 28, 2017
Correct, which I've always felt is a great plus point for PSN.

Well shit you learn something new everyday lol. That might be a good reason why Epic chose to work with Sony over Microsoft for cross play and support.

Honestly though I wish most online games would let you carry stuff over through an online connected third party network like Battle.net or Rockstar's Social Club. Would make the commitment of double dipping much easier for online titles. But nobody really does expect for moving between old gen and current gen.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Their account system screws Xbox players, and we probably have Sony to thank for that.

In their announcement for mobile port they say "In partnership with our friends at Sony, Fortnite Battle Royale will support Cross Play and Cross Progression between PlayStation 4, PC, Mac, iOS and eventually Android." So basically Xbox is out of the picture because they have a partnership with Sony, and instead of supporting Xbox way of "we allow cross-play with anyone" they support Sony's "we allow cross-play but not with other console manufacturers".

That's awful I'm just going to delete it then.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

Unfortunately this seems like the case.

Oct 26, 2017
Every other company has managed to figure out a way to link all your platforms to their account. There is no reason they can't let you play on separate Xbox progression on the same Epic account as the cross-play stuff. There's no reason they couldn't track purchases separately between the two if everyone involved is fighting a war over every last microtransaction. It really is inexcusable.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
This has been going on since about October.

I've had my Epic account linked to my Xbox for many years now and when I bought my PS4 Pro I linked my PSN account to it so I could play Paragon on there and have the progress/unlocks from PC move to the console as well... BIG MISTAKE!

After playing normally since launch, around October Fortnite on Xbox would fail to let play, I forget what the error message was but basically I took my PSN association off of that account and it didn't do anything, then I disassociated my Xbox account from the Epic account and all of a sudden it allowed me to play. The problem appeared to be that since my account was associated with a PSN account that it automatically shared purchases/progress when I had played Fortnite on PC prior to this, and Epic is not partnered with Xbox, so the Xbox account was no longer able to connect to the Epic account anymore.... which is fucking crazy. The account I've used for many years, have asset purchases on, whatever..

Everytime I went to try to connect the Xbox account back to it, it says "This account is already linked to an Epic Games account"... ,but clearly it wasn't. I had to make a totally new account on EpicGames and wow, totally surprising I can link that Xbox account to it. Epic has done absolutely jack shit to help anyone out in this case, their customer service doesn't even bother responding to anyone on the issue.

Basically it's Epic Games being lazy as hell with their account management and linking system. Before they had the unlinking issue, my solution was basically to have to give up my old Epic Games account (surprise mo'fo, they're shutting down Paragon which was the only reason I linked my PSN account in the first place) and now I have two Epic account's, one tied to my regular email address and one I had to create a new email address to use.

Last edited: