• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
  • Removed 30 FPS mode from Xbox One and PS4.
    • In v3.4 we made some significant GPU optimizations which improved visual quality, including resolution in 60 FPS mode, and we now feel there is very little reason to play at 30 FPS. - Developer Comment

Plus this:

• Made significant improvements to visual quality on consoles, including resolution improvements and texture sharpness improvements.
    • Improved texture filtering sharpness on PS4 and Xbox One.
    • Increased texture resolution on Xbox One.
https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/v3-4-patch-notes

Pretty interesting. Dark1x

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Is the crazy pop in still there? Some update a few weeks after 3.0 made that really annoying.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Impressive.
I wonder if this means they got distance field AO fast enough for 60fps mode. (Or other things fast enough to allow it.)

ScottyJayMan

Nov 1, 2017
I think this is wrong. I know a few people who get motion sickness when playing 60fps. Why not keep the option on there?

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
But what about those who prefer 30 FPS for the "cinematic experience" ???
nn7jo.jpg

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
I don't want to be mean or anything, but people get motion sickness from 60fps? If anything it makes things smoother and less skipping.
It takes time for your eyes to get used to the fluidity, it's the same if you go watch 120 fps gameplay of any first person game. If someone has continuous sickness they should probably advice a doctor though.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, good. Fuck 30 FPS. I'm all for choices, but the faster people get used to 60 FPS the better for everyone. 30 FPS is plain self-sabotage.

Deleted member 34788

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I'm assuming those gfz improvements apply to the BR mode?

If it is, optimising your game to hit 60 fps to begin with, and then optimising it further to claw back those visual cuts they had to do to get 60fps is seriously impressive.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why they felt it needed to be removed. They could have just made 60FPS / uncapped the default setting, and kept in a 30FPS option for those who might want it for whatever reason.

I mean, good on them for getting to a point where they feel it's unnecessary, but I won't congratulate them for needlessly removing user choice.

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why they felt it needed to be removed. They could have just made 60FPS / uncapped the default setting, and kept in a 30FPS option for those who might want it for whatever reason.

I mean, good on them for getting to a point where they feel it's unnecessary, but I won't congratulate them for needlessly removing user choice.
Not a programmer, so correct if I'm wrong; maybe it was a way to reduce the number of variables required for optimizations in future patches. I assume they have to make settings for both 30 and 60 fps, sort of like how TLOU: remastered had better shadows in 30fps mode. Maybe this is further exacerbated by the fact that theres the Pro and X.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's most probably hitches in frame rates that makes one nauseous.

But I am not a doctor. At least that's what I tell people.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
  • Removed 30 FPS mode from Xbox One and PS4.
    • In v3.4 we made some significant GPU optimizations which improved visual quality, including resolution in 60 FPS mode, and we now feel there is very little reason to play at 30 FPS. - Developer Comment
Plus this:

• Made significant improvements to visual quality on consoles, including resolution improvements and texture sharpness improvements.
      • Improved texture filtering sharpness on PS4 and Xbox One.
      • Increased texture resolution on Xbox One.
https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/v3-4-patch-notes

Pretty interesting. Dark1x
They cover a lot of the optimisatoin at their GDC panel. It may have technically worse quality in some scenes depnding on the console in question.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Not a programmer, so correct if I'm wrong; maybe it was a way to reduce the number of variables required for optimizations in future patches. I assume they have to make settings for both 30 and 60 fps, sort of like how TLOU: remastered had better shadows in 30fps mode. Maybe this is further exacerbated by the fact that theres the Pro and X.
I'm also not a programmer, so I may be talking out of my ass. That said, if they wanted people to play the higher framerate option, they could optimize for that and simply make the 30FPS option a 30FPS cap, nothing more. Again, maybe I'm missing something, but you can do that on PC with no other graphical / visual changes, so I don't really understand why they can't have the option.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I'm sure someone will dislike this... Something Something Cinematic.

If they can do 60 fps well now with zero trade off the option is pretty redundant. 60 fps is objectively better.

Capping at 30 might be useful if people wanted to lower temps / fan noise... maybe.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm also not a programmer, so I may be talking out of my ass. That said, if they wanted people to play the higher framerate option, they could optimize for that and simply make the 30FPS option a 30FPS cap, nothing more. Again, maybe I'm missing something, but you can do that on PC with no other graphical / visual changes, so I don't really understand why they can't have the option.

A player running 60 has a big advantage over a player running at 30. I'd imagine they want the game to be fair for everyone who tries the game out. In a competitive game like this, more frames per second is always better. Hell I've been playing on PC and I feel like 60 isn't even enough for me.

Merrill

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax
Can they send some of their team to Bluehole and help out on PUBG Xbox, please?

Truly a team that deserves applauding for their efforts.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Apparently the iOS version got a graphics bump (on supported devices) as well. Gonna check it out soon.

Oct 26, 2017
A month ago or so I played it on my X and I loved how crisp it looked. Does it actually run at 60fps looking like that now? :O

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
A player running 60 has a big advantage over a player running at 30. I'd imagine they want the game to be fair for everyone who tries the game out. In a competitive game like this, more frames per second is always better. Hell I've been playing on PC and I feel like 60 isn't even enough for me.
For sure. That's why I suggested the 30FPS cap be a non-default option. Keyboard and mouse are also generally seen as more advantageous than a controller on PC, but it's still nice to give players more options for whatever they're more comfortable with.