• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when everyone thought PUBG was going to take this last year?

It's honestly amazing to me to see the rise of Fortnite in the aftermath of that game's success.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
tenor.gif

Understandable, still funny

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of work that went into this game and the amount of free content it received this year should be rewarded. No problem with this. A game being multiplayer shouldn't put it out of the running for GOTY.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense, can't not even Red Dead has had the same impact as Fortnite.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's hilarious. Oh well, at least the greatest game ever made still finished ahead of the overrated God of War.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
It's extraordinarily impressive what Epic has managed to do with the game in a year. Weekly updates that bring significant changes to the gameplay have brought it a long way from where it launched.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Golden Joysticks are just popularity contests.

That being said, I think the Game Awards should move towards some sort of committee in the future. Too many people voting multiple times for games that don't deserve it.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Not that I'm complaining, as Fortnite has sucked up so much of my time this year, but how did it win when it released in 2017? Even Battle Royale mode specifically came in September last year.

Genuinely curious.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Golden Joysticks are just popularity contests.

That being said, I think the Game Awards should move towards some sort of committee in the future. Too many people voting multiple times for games that don't deserve it.

For The Game Awards, the public's vote only counts as a small percentage of the total. Industry members make up the majority of the weight.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Say what you will about RDR, GoW, and any other game, this really was the defining game of this year.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Before any hot takes a few things need to be mentioned:
1) this is a popularity voting
2) all the other awards voted before RDR2 released other than this GOTY award. because of that, everyone who voted for GoW in all the other awards (it won 5 different awards and in general won most awards in the show) did not get to vote on their game of the year award. that is why GoW is no where to be seen in these results.

Cyberpunk you should probably mention this in the OP.

Last edited:

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it still in early acces? Or is that just STW?

Remember PUBG getting alot of hate for being nominated.

Polygatari

Banned
Sep 29, 2018
It is deserved as overall GOTY, if you are putting the best Single Player game against the best Multiplayer game.

And I say that as someone that only plays Single Player ( mostly storyline heavy ) games.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Heh, it's cute to see the response over a game not being designed as a cinematic single player experience getting it.

Sep 14, 2018
What the hell is ultimate game of the year? didnt forntite come out last year? clearly this isn't through critics, more or less just the most popular games.