• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Lol, yeah, you can't put that toothpaste back in the tube.

Getting approved for permanent remote work status at my job has been absolutely life changing for me. The amount of time I save a week alone has been incredibly beneficial.

When I worked in the office, I had a 2-2.5 hour commute there, and a 2-2.5 hour commute back home (sometimes longer if there was issue with traffic, or the trains and buses were late, so I'd have to wait for the next line to come, which could take ages and throw off my commute; ditto for getting to work on time, actually).

Saving those 20-25 hours a week freed me up so much.

Getting off work and being able to just close my laptop, go into the kitchen and make some dinner, play some video games, watch/read something, or write/draw/create something, all within minutes of getting off work is amazing. Prior to this, by the time I'd get to work, I'd be exhausted from the commute, and by the time I got home after work, I was too exhausted from the work day + the commute home that I didn't want to do anything but go to sleep.

Time is one our most precious commodities, and we can't ever get it back once spent. So just having that extra time each day is something I don't take for granted and am extremely grateful for.

It's about 9:50pm where I'm at right now, and if I was still working in the office, I'd be getting home about this time (if I was lucky and traffic didn't suck). With work from home, I've literally been at home since I signed off at 7pm, and in that time, I made dinner, ate dinner, fed and played with the cats, chatted with my roommate, and am now browsing Resetera.

It feels good, and I hope more and more companies where WFH is a viable solution continue to adopt it.

What does everyone here do that wfh jobs are possible?

I work in the video game industry, and, fortunately, a lot of our work can be done remotely, so most of our studio has opted to WFH, while the other portion that works better in an office (some folks flourish in that environment, so I think they should have that option as well!). It's been working out incredibly well so far. Especially once we got past the initial adaptation to work from home during the pandemic shutdown.

It's really sad to think that it took a global fucking pandemic that cost countless people their lives (I lost 5 family members to covid...), in order for businesses to recognize that wfh isn't going to destroy their business and profits, or encourage employees to be "lazy" and slack off without their micro-managing eyes upon them at all times...

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this has more to do with their office leasing contracts expiring around now, and CEOs quivering at the thought of cutting the costs of massive work spaces or construction to pad out their bottom line. They couldn't care less about allowing workers the comfort of WFH, any decision they make is money driven, always. Thank god this just happens to improve employee's lives in this instance. Well until they start slashing pay depending on where they live that is.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Hush, don't jinx it. After 4 years of mostly being allowed to work from home, I still feel that axe hovering over my head. I know it's come up multiple times, and if it were up to my boss (who works from home 99% of the time), we'd be back on site full time. But his boss (who lives in his office) has saved us from that fate at least twice. It's a crazy situation.

I don't buy that we've heard the end of it. It's an absolute godsend, and I know there are still people out there who can't stand the thought of us not being almost literally under their thumb.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

Dropbox CEO says employees appreciate remote work more than cushy office perks: 'they value flexibility a lot more than snacks'

Dropbox cofounder and CEO Drew Houston said he views his employees like customers, and that means giving them what they want — which isn't in-person work.

"We will support however they want to gather," Houston said in a new interview with The Verge. "But we're finding that these retreats and off-sites and things like that are often a lot more effective than asking people to commute."
Houston said other business leaders are making the wrong move by forcing employees back to the office. Many companies are pushing employees to return to office in a hybrid structure, including giants like Google, Apple, and Amazon.

"They keep mashing the go back to 2019 button, and they see it's not working," Houston said in the interview, speaking generally about return-to-office mandates. "Then they just push harder, and then you have this really toxic relationship."
Dropbox implemented a "virtual first" model in April 2020 based on studying remote-first companies. Dropbox now has about 2,600 employees and is 90% remote, the CEO said. The remaining 10% in-person programming and providing space for people to self-organize in hubs.
Transitioning to virtual first meant getting rid of the "super vibrant in-person culture" Dropbox had before, the CEO said. The company had a fancy office with Michelin-star chefs, a full coffee bar, a karaoke studio, and an Equinox-like gym.
The 90% virtual model also avoids the "worst of both worlds," which according to Houston is the two or three-day hybrid compromise.

The CEO said one of the problems with hybrid work is it puts employees on a leash to tied to the nearby office space. That means you can't live outside commuting distance and you're still spending a lot of time in transit, which is "totally dead time," Houston said.

www.businessinsider.com

Dropbox CEO says employees appreciate remote work more than cushy office perks: 'they value flexibility a lot more than snacks'

A home office can be set up "exactly how you want it," including snacks and your dog, Dropbox's CEO said.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
I quit my office job the other week because they mandated 3 days in the office per week. Drive 1 hour to sit at a desk and zoom with my team everyday. No one on my team is even in the same office, or is fully remote. So idiotic and I just peaced cause I ain't dealing with that garbage.

Mar 11, 2020

www.businessinsider.com

A home office can be set up "exactly how you want it," including snacks and your dog, Dropbox's CEO said.
Wow, this dude actually gets it. Hybrid does still tie you to a location and you can easily be priced out of living near one too.

I hope it does fully move towards this attitude in general, but we're gonna run into the secondary problem this creates where companies start thinking they can pay less as they don't have to pay a full wage they paid before based on cost of living where their office is. Not that they didn't try to fleece employees all the time by not paying what someone is worth, but this is still gonna cause growing pains there i can see.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
When I worked in the office, I had a 2-2.5 hour commute there, and a 2-2.5 hour commute back home (sometimes longer if there was issue with traffic, or the trains and buses were late, so I'd have to wait for the next line to come, which could take ages and throw off my commute; ditto for getting to work on time, actually).
These figures are absolutely insane. The longest commute I've ever had was 35-40 minutes each way and it made me want to die.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
1322254155940.gif
Lol
Legal stuff / contracts.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
We were always flexible at my work but pandemic really ramped up the remote and hybrid work.

Once the suits found out we were saving HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of dollars PER MONTH on electricity alone they changed their tune lol. Otherwise I'm sure it would have been a hard sell to keep it going.

I've been fully remote since then and am also on 4 day weeks (37.5hr weeks) and it's awesome. I go in every so often just to see peeps but we also have meetings at restaurants and stuff as well. About half the org is this way and it's mostly up to the management of depts how their weeks/hours are run so you def get depts that are desired over others lol.

We have like a set list of statuses for jobs:
- Remote
- Remote Hybrid
- Hybrid Remote
- Hybrid On Site
- On Site Hybrid
- On Site

GOATed N64 game

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
These figures are absolutely insane. The longest commute I've ever had was 35-40 minutes each way and it made me want to die.

that's not even the worst commute I've had. lol

Back when I worked at Obsidian Entertainment, it was a 3-3.5 hour commute driving. It was brutal. And expensive, because I was burning through gas so much. I absolutely loved working at Obsidian, but that commute was too expensive and too exhausting, so I eventually quit, which was so heartbreaking for me, because I really did love working there.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Wow, this dude actually gets it. Hybrid does still tie you to a location and you can easily be priced out of living near one too.

I hope it does fully move towards this attitude in general, but we're gonna run into the secondary problem this creates where companies start thinking they can pay less as they don't have to pay a full wage they paid before based on cost of living where their office is. Not that they didn't try to fleece employees all the time by not paying what someone is worth, but this is still gonna cause growing pains there i can see.

Here's a CEO that think a BRAND NEW OFFICE building will bring people back

Citadel's Ken Griffin wants to build a massive NYC skyscraper that the city hopes will lure more workers back to the office

Citadel's Ken Griffin is planning a 62-story skyscraper in the heart of midtown that New York City's mayor hopes will bolster the ongoing revitalization of the neighborhood after many buildings went vacant during the pandemic.
Located at 350 Park Avenue, the building is expected to be completed in 2032, and will house over 6,000 jobs. It will also comprise a public concourse with seating, green space, and art.
Developers purchased air rights from St. Patrick's Cathedral and Saint Bartholomew's Church in order to construct the building. The prices they paid will fund upkeep for both churches, the Mayor's office said, to the tune of $150 million.
Griffin has previously discussed how remote work can harm corporate culture, and a spokesperson for Citadel told Business Insider the company has been back in the office full-time since June 2021.

www.businessinsider.com

Citadel's Ken Griffin wants to build a massive NYC skyscraper that the city hopes will lure more workers back to the office

Griffin, who relocated his company's headquarters to Miami, has previously said remote work can harm corporate culture.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My wife works from home 4 days a week as a senior paralegal and loves it. She makes nearly as much as me now (i'm a bank manager), while I toil away in an office.

She definitely got the better end.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a CEO that think a BRAND NEW OFFICE building will bring people back

www.businessinsider.com

Griffin, who relocated his company's headquarters to Miami, has previously said remote work can harm corporate culture.

I want him to define "corporate culture", and explain how it benefits employees.

I'll wait.

Edit: For the question of what we do: I don't work anymore, but my husband is a Government contractor and he's been WFH since the lockdown. His commute was at least an hour each way.

Mar 11, 2020
I want him to define "corporate culture", and explain how it benefits employees.

I'll wait.
It benefits them so they can micromanage and monitor that they aren't slacking off and they don't get fired. That's their "benefit"

We're already seeing a rise in monitoring software and it's only gonna get worse there though.

I think a lot of CEOs are starting to realize they can just go that route instead.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

I'll wait.

It just mean he can't fire people face to face.

"What worries me in a hybrid work environment or work-from-home environment, the cultural or social contract that holds people together in a company is unquestionably weaker," said Griffin.
"That worries me in terms of willingness of corporate America to make cuts in the workforce," he added.
"We have all read about companies that are firing thousands of people on Zoom calls," Griffin said.

"There is no sense of 'That is Jane who has worked down the hall from me for years. I will go the extra distance to try to keep Jane here.' Here is the email to all, here is the video conference with a bunch of people, goodbye," he said.

www.businessinsider.com

Billionaire hedge fund boss Ken Griffin says remote working makes it easier for companies to fire people

The Citadel CEO told Bloomberg that remote working is harming corporate culture and could contribute to companies deciding to lay people off.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
It just mean he can't fire people face to face.

www.businessinsider.com

Billionaire hedge fund boss Ken Griffin says remote working makes it easier for companies to fire people

The Citadel CEO told Bloomberg that remote working is harming corporate culture and could contribute to companies deciding to lay people off.

Oh, that's rich. That is total fabrication of how layoffs work. They hire a company to come in and "make cuts" - usually that's anyone making over a certain dollar amount - unless they're indispensable. And, sometimes even those people get cut because none of the higher ups know anything about who actually runs stuff. Speaking from experience, and btw this is called "greening" because "we fired all the senior people who knew how everything worked" doesn't sound organic and nice.
He doesn't know "Jane" unless she's his secretary.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, some of the best friends I've ever made were through work, and that has not happened in any replicable way since we went remote. Which definitely means a core driving factor for why I stuck around is no longer a factor.

I don't think this is a BAD thing per se but it definitely made building new friendships harder in my 20s in a post-pandemic world.

That said, in-office mandates make zero sense anymore. I still live near one with our company, but I realized, my virtual day to day does not change when I decide to go into the office. If my day is gonna consist of 5 hours of virtual meetings, it's not like going into an office is going to "foster more collaboration." It just means I'm still taking all of those meetings virtually, just locked in an office conference room rather than in my home office.

I'm of two minds about it. I'm social and I like the interaction, but my job is fundamentally not enhanced by being onsite. Especially when no one else is making use of that space.

CosmiKu

Jul 9, 2023
Private sector admits defeat and will probably (begrudgingly) accept hybrid working is here to stay.

Meanwhile the UK civil service marches off a cliff, telling their staff they must spend 60% of their time in the office as a minimum (and this is likely to rise to 100% eventually), so staff can sit next to each other in poorly lit and noisy offices while they sign into Teams meetings.

It's bananas.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
You never gave a shit about Jane and her life Griffin, cut the shit.

Exactly. I dealt with a revolving door of these guys when I worked for a financial company that was in trouble. They all came in claiming they would turn everything around and speaking in idioms and buzzword bingo. "You're either on the bus or not!" ???
"It's like shooting an arrow through a donut!" ???
I'm not making those up.
They got paid millions, fucked up the company even worse, laid off senior people who did critically important jobs, and then flew off with their golden parachutes to their next cushy assignment. The epitome of seagull management.
"Hey, the Oracle database is down and the market it open! Where is the DBA??"
You fired her, and she was the only DBA.
"Call her at home and ask her to fix it."
Yes, this actually happened. They also called my husband and asked him to fix a system that went down. They weren't going to give him his job back or offer to pay him for his time. LMAO

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It sounds like they are slowly opening themselves up to change. And that means a lot of WFH jobs will eventually be seen as easily replaced so the line goes up. I can foresee within 10 years a lot of WFH jobs are out sourced to cheaper countries.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Exactly. I dealt with a revolving door of these guys when I worked for a financial company that was in trouble. They all came in claiming they would turn everything around and speaking in idioms and buzzword bingo. "You're either on the bus or not!" ???
"It's like shooting an arrow through a donut!" ???
I'm not making those up.
They got paid millions, fucked up the company even worse, laid off senior people who did critically important jobs, and then flew off with their golden parachutes to their next cushy assignment. The epitome of seagull management.
"Hey, the Oracle database is down and the market it open! Where is the DBA??"
You fired her, and she was the only DBA.
"Call her at home and ask her to fix it."
Yes, this actually happened. They also called my husband and asked him to fix a system that went down. They weren't going to give him his job back or offer to pay him for his time. LMAO

I hope they both laughed in their faces and told them not so politely to go fuck themselves. FAFO, that's how the real world works.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they both laughed in their faces and told them not so politely to go fuck themselves. FAFO, that's how the real world works.

Oh yeah, they both did. The Oracle db never came back and they even offered her a raise if she would.
My husband basically told them to nicely gfy, and the system WAS NEVER FIXED. They couldn't get it back up and they literally gave up on a product they spent over 2 million on. It certainly cost them way more to layoff my husband than it did to keep him, but they just laid off people based on salary. I was still working there so I saw all this play out in real time. They also came to ME and apologized for laying him off and would he please fix it. LOL

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Oh yeah, they both did. The Oracle db never came back and they even offered her a raise if she would.
My husband basically told them to nicely gfy, and the system WAS NEVER FIXED. They couldn't get it back up and they literally gave up on a product they spent over 2 million on. It certainly cost them way more to layoff my husband than it did to keep him, but they just laid off people based on salary. I was still working there so I saw all this play out in real time. They also came to ME and apologized for laying him off and would he please fix it. LOL

Wow, an apology! Why didn't you both jump at the chance to help them after that?!?

/sarcasm

Holmes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My union just got hybrid work secured with my employer (public sector) during negotiations, so I'm happy. I do need to still go into work a few times a week, but honestly that's fine because I do need to mail stuff, file stuff in court, things like that.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
It sounds like they are slowly opening themselves up to change. And that means a lot of WFH jobs will eventually be seen as easily replaced so the line goes up. I can foresee within 10 years a lot of WFH jobs are out sourced to cheaper countries.
The place I work for is already doing just that.
Also, Windows 365 (y'know, the new-ish streaming version of windows) means you can spin up / decom virtual workstations more easily than ever.
Less investment in hardware, training, and getting people into your company culture.
Used to be a total pain in the ass when we tried on-boarding people overseas, getting hardware shipped to them etc. Now its dead easy. Spin up a Win365 machine, let it sync overnight, and next day you got a full corp-controlled virtual workstation they can sign into from anywhere.

Personally my job requires me to be in the office every day as I deal with physical office stuff a lot, but other people being able to WFH makes it a lot more peaceful and quiet for me, so I get fringe benefits at least.

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha

Wow haha this is incredible. I can't even imagine the entitlement of someone to think they could get away with that. How shameless are these fools?

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
Web development/support. Several of my team are hybrid or fully remote but my boss is one of those staunch "be in office" guys. The two newest hires(me and another guy) have yet to get our dedicated hybrid day(s) because we simply don't have the people needed right now so us two are fully in the office. We keep hiring sales people but not web devs/support. I can technically work any day I want remote (did it just this week) but I have to make it known in advance and it's frowned upon without saying it's frowned upon.

My yearly review is coming up (next month will be officially one year working here), I've already gotten a 10~ percent raise after working here about 7 months so clearly I'm doing an adequate job. They're likely going to offer a percentage raise and I'm going to request going hybrid even if it means the raise comes down.

Tony72495

Apr 26, 2019
Unfortunately all my jobs have been in-office so far, but maybe one day I'll get hired on for one.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
I work for an insurance company that is owned and ran by a nice but just out of touch boomer that still believes in the "5 day a week come in the office and do it there" mentality....it's so beyond pointless lol.

I stay in my office with the door shut and have minimal contact with any of my co-workers, don't really need face to face contact.

Thankfully the Ops Manager is much more progressive and believes in hybrid/WFH models and allows WFH when needed, she's very big on mental health and taking care of that too which is a plus. She eventually wants to move the company to WFH if wanted and I can't wait, she also wants to go to 4 day work weeks too.

99.9% of the work here can easily be done remotely, you'd think these companies would wise up and realize how much they''d save $$ wise and minimize turnover by just allowing it...

Mar 11, 2020
I work for an insurance company that is owned and ran by a nice but just out of touch boomer that still believes in the "5 day a week come in the office and do it there" mentality....it's so beyond pointless lol.

I stay in my office with the door shut and have minimal contact with any of my co-workers, don't really need face to face contact.

Thankfully the Ops Manager is much more progressive and believes in hybrid/WFH models and allows WFH when needed, she's very big on mental health and taking care of that too which is a plus. She eventually wants to move the company to WFH if wanted and I can't wait, she also wants to go to 4 day work weeks too.

99.9% of the work here can easily be done remotely, you'd think these companies would wise up and realize how much they''d save $$ wise and minimize turnover by just allowing it...
A lot of them are locked in building contracts. It's still stupid, like ok if work is getting handled just as well as before or more efficiently then ride out the contract then get a cheaper place after. It's mostly people looking short term vs long term, like most capitalism.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
A lot of them are locked in building contracts. It's still stupid, like ok if work is getting handled just as well as before or more efficiently then ride out the contract then get a cheaper place after. It's mostly people looking short term vs long term, like most capitalism.

Yeah it's so pointless to me, thankfully like I said my new boss is pretty damn smart and sees the long term benefits to making changes that'll greatly increase happiness and productivity in the employees here and be able to retain and recruit easier.

I find the benefits far, far outweigh the negatives when it comes to hybrid/WFH...also I love that people that value and want that now have options, the old way is dying.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Private sector admits defeat and will probably (begrudgingly) accept hybrid working is here to stay.

Meanwhile the UK civil service marches off a cliff, telling their staff they must spend 60% of their time in the office as a minimum (and this is likely to rise to 100% eventually), so staff can sit next to each other in poorly lit and noisy offices while they sign into Teams meetings.

It's bananas.
Same thing here in Ontario. Nevermind that the offices do not have enough desks and seating to accommodate the numbers, gotta commute downtown so landlords downtown don't lose money!