• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'll believe it when I see it long term.

There is too much money tied up in corporate real estate for them to completely give up the fight.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Once the suits found out we were saving HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of dollars PER MONTH on electricity alone they changed their tune lol.

I've wondered about this at my job. I know the electric bill where I work is, like, equivalent to my entire life's salary, every month. We once got an e-mail from...some high-ranking executive...that actually attached the electric bill, and asked us to not heat the offices to save money. I could not believe my eyes - at both the bill amount, and the request.

Now, we're in Vegas, so it's not quite as bad as it sounds. A request to not cool the offices would be a lot more outrageous, most of the year (I believe this was Dec). But still.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
My job is luckily full remote and has zero plans to ever change that. I do workforce management in case people were curious, but most office jobs can be full remote, managers just didn't want to accept it as it makes a lot of them essentially worthless.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I just watched 4 insurance ceos tuck tail and admit that hybrid in the industry is here to stay, live and uncut.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I am lucky my country has legislation for WFH. Its up to the employer to explain why an employee can't work from home.

JSRF

"This guy are sick"
Aug 23, 2023
I had to go into the office for the first time in about 6 months last week and I got sick from interacting with a sick coworker. I had to take 2 sick days and I still feel awful but I'm back to work. Not worth it!

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I had to go into the office for the first time in about 6 months last week and I got sick from interacting with a sick coworker. I had to take 2 sick days and I still feel awful but I'm back to work. Not worth it!

I worked in a mask required environment that couldn't be done remotely all through 2020 and beyond, shoulder to shoulder with other people who had to be there. I never got sick. People who got sick were made to stay home.

My partner who works from home went to the office in 2023 for maybe the 3rd time since Feb 2020 and brought home covid. That one meeting cost her company 2 weeks of her productivity. You'd think at the very fucking least, we could use all the remote work lessons to stop people from coming to the office sick.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I don't know if I can go back to wasting 1-2 hours of my life every work day just for commute.

I was offered a 60% raise last week for a full in the office position vs my current full teleworking. I declined.

I'd start looking for another WFH job that pays at least 40-50% more, you're probably underpaid lol.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
It sounds like they are slowly opening themselves up to change. And that means a lot of WFH jobs will eventually be seen as easily replaced so the line goes up. I can foresee within 10 years a lot of WFH jobs are out sourced to cheaper countries.
Yep. Your proximity and timezone are the only things keeping you competitive to someone working for 1/10th your pay. I mean, quality of work too, but that's harder to quantify by executives so it won't be.

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
I left a fully remote WFH job to go to a 100% in-office job. Better pay, and opens me up to better career growth down the road. My new job will probably allow a hybrid for me soon so won't be 100% in-office anymore.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
I don't know if I can go back to wasting 1-2 hours of my life every work day just for commute.

I'd start looking for another WFH job that pays at least 40-50% more, you're probably underpaid lol.

Perhaps a bit. My field (law) has very little 100% work from home once you get to a certain salary range. I'm also trying to avoid 60+ hour weeks.

Right now I'm getting the experience I need to get where I want to go. My retirement will vest in 2 years so I'll probably consider leaving after that.

JSRF

"This guy are sick"
Aug 23, 2023
I worked in a mask required environment that couldn't be done remotely all through 2020 and beyond, shoulder to shoulder with other people who had to be there. I never got sick. People who got sick were made to stay home.

My partner who works from home went to the office in 2023 for maybe the 3rd time since Feb 2020 and brought home covid. That one meeting cost her company 2 weeks of her productivity. You'd think at the very fucking least, we could use all the remote work lessons to stop people from coming to the office sick.
Just as an update, turns out it's COVID. I got COVID from being forced to go into the office one day. 👍 👍 👍 👍

Last edited:

megashock5

Oct 27, 2017
Powell, Ohio
I just watched 4 insurance ceos tuck tail and admit that hybrid in the industry is here to stay, live and uncut.
I feel pretty fortunate, I work for an insurance and financial corporation that has made a commitment to hybrid work. They even moved my department to a smaller space, not large enough to hold all of us at once, which tells me there aren't near-term plans to come back.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I feel pretty fortunate, I work for an insurance and financial corporation that has made a commitment to hybrid work. They even moved my department to a smaller space, not large enough to hold all of us at once, which tells me there aren't near-term plans to come back.

It feels like more age friendly places of employment are going to stick with the hybrid model as it's just easier on employees. 2 days in, 3 days remote has revolutionized how people were handling child care, regardless of how old the kids were, and to ask people to give that up when they're in their 40's, have 20 years of experience, and could get a job anywhere is a dangerous proposition.

I would have thought they would have stopped free food where I work at this point, but they realized the difference between just giving every employee an extra 1000 a year vs making sure there are unlimited meals in the office was enough to make people not only embrace hybrid, but be okay with returning 3 days a week. They gotta figure out the parking situation though.

megashock5

Oct 27, 2017
Powell, Ohio
It feels like more age friendly places of employment are going to stick with the hybrid model as it's just easier on employees. 2 days in, 3 days remote has revolutionized how people were handling child care, regardless of how old the kids were, and to ask people to give that up when they're in their 40's, have 20 years of experience, and could get a job anywhere is a dangerous proposition.

I would have thought they would have stopped free food where I work at this point, but they realized the difference between just giving every employee an extra 1000 a year vs making sure there are unlimited meals in the office was enough to make people not only embrace hybrid, but be okay with returning 3 days a week. They gotta figure out the parking situation though.
We haven't gone as far as free food here, but they did start covering parking a few years ago, which was very welcome.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The problem is that 100% WFH job positions are getting harder and harder to find.

Yeah the real casualty of hybrid becoming more mainstream is remote jobs getting killed. A LOT of HR people I know in the city have said that the basic concession for hybrid is that future hires will be mandated to the office for a certain amount of days, and if you can't, you need not apply. Unless they are hard up for finding talent for a number of months, they will not consider full time remote anymore.

My bros in the tech world are having a REAL hard time right now. Those 6-18 month contracts that would just show up and keep them well paid working out of their apartment have dried up. Now they're dealing with hour commutes every day. A lot of them are thinking about moving closer to the city, something they actively did the opposite of a few years ago.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
they are not nearly defeated enough yet. i could do 99% of my job remotely, coming on-site just a couple days a month at best.

had to fight like hell just to get 2 WFH days a week once back to office started. will be looking for a new job if they ever take those two days away.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
Just as an update, turns out it's COVID. I got COVID from being forced to go into the office one day. 👍 👍 👍 👍

Bummer. Sorry. I hope it's mild and you recover quickly.

People stumbling into the office looking like death warmed up and coughing all over the place all while insisting that it's the noble thing to do is a cornerstone of office culture.

I think part of it is the people who use their office as their main way to socialize and can't handle the thought of missing out on it. I was at a bakery in 2021, maybe early 2022, and a woman was coughing while talking about how she just returned from a trip overseas and must have caught something. She was clearly a regular who just annoys the staff and is just there to make conversation while not attempting to buy anything. Just go home.