• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
Someone please think of the chil- mobile users:
- A dark theme would be ace.
- Return to top/go to bottom on each page please.
- Being able to minimalize the reply box.
- the page numbers you tap could be a bit bigger for us with bigger hands.
- Post number above each post in a thread.
- I'd like to see how many times a thread has been watched and how many replies there are.
- Make the mods name red for wasy visibility.
- And of course, a different color for your own posts and quotes.

Other than that I think the mobile site is pretty much golden. Great work everyone.

Last edited:

Nilaul

Oct 26, 2017
Greece
When making a thread I came across these observations:

- Font selection:

It has to go, it's confusing and making everything a mess, I don't know which is the forums default and
when pasting stuff from other sources the forum also pastes the formatting further messing up the post.
Lets keep the whole site to one standard font.

- Font Sizes:

Similar issues to the font selection. Which is the deafult? However, they are useful when making the OP.
I recommend having less and naming them like this "Small" "Default" and "Large"

- Font Colour:

It's Useful but also perhaps limit it for the OP only inorder to prevent it from being overused.

- Thread Header/Title:

Looks like a advertisment.

Last edited:

Cappa

Oct 25, 2017
is there anyway to mark in preferences so that no pics or avatars are shown while browsing?

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
I miss the tabs that allowed you to jump to each forum from any other forum, they were much more convenient than the pathway thing going on right now.

RE on desktop has Help Home Top and RSS feed icon in lower left corner.
Only Help and RSS feed are on the mobile site version.

Home and Top would be handy while browsing on mobile.

ed: almost forgot - option to disable images via mobile environment of the site please

Last edited:

Rösti

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if giving the end users the ability to change font size is the best option. I have seen some examples of rather large sizes and to me this negatively impacted overall legibility. Also, is having several font families to choose from really necessary? Eight font families seems to me rather excessive, would not a focus on a single font family such as Open Sans, Roboto or some other popular choice be better?

In an environment like this legibility is monumental. A good resource on this topic is of course W3C: https://www.w3.org/wiki/Text_styling_with_CSS#Legibility_and_readability

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The drop down menu at the top that has the FAQ/Watched threads/Twitter is tiny on mobile. Any chance of making it a bit bigger so I'm not constantly going to your Twitter account?

Alpende

Oct 26, 2017
A way for mobile users to quickly return to the top of the page.

It's probably suggested a ton of times already.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Would love for there to be tabs for Video Games, EtcetEra, and the Hangouts at the tops and bottoms of the forum pages.

Going to add that we also need something like this on mobile. I've been using the "Help" link to get back to the forums when I get to the bottom of a thread.

ashep

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really down with mods inserting their comments on people's posts directly into the posts themselves like that LoL thread.

Hope that doesn't become a regular thing.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I should really consolidate my posts in this thread (this is my third) - but I would like the page numbers of threads to show before you hover the mouse (PC) over the thread. So you can see how many pages the thread is on without having to highlight over it.

wasistdustin

Senior Editor at PlayMassive
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Berlin
If you doubleclick on your own post you can quickly edit it. I love how intuitive this forum works

Edit: Not sure this was mentioned before, doubleclick if old

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
This is a little silly. Why not just have the Report button aligned on the right hand side next to Quote and Reply?
DAZO8QB.png
DAZO8QB.png

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Hi, great work so far, some of these are probably reiterations of existing suggestions considering how long this thread is already. But I guess if you see repeating themes it will help to prioritise.

From a user interface perspective:
  • A way to easily navigate between the Gaming and EtcetEra forums and Community subforums would be handy.
  • Consider 100 ppp.
  • It took me a while to figure out where the option to disable the option that makes threads you post in Watched Threads; this could just be me being dumb, but perhaps an opt-in approach would be better for future members?
From an aesthetic perspective, readability would probably be improved with:
  • More visible separations in general, between posts and threads, between regular threads and stickied threads - harder lines. Currently the thread titles visually blend together.
  • Similar to the above, elements in posts (avatar, buttons, text) are somewhat floating for lack of a better word; this may be a deliberate design decision, and if so disregard.
  • The report button really does stick out like a sore thumb and there's probably a less intrusive place for it?
  • It's a little thing, but greater space separation between the little purple new posts indicator and the thread title. Clumsy hands and crappy phone screens.
  • Greater contrast, or alternative colour options for text particularly for the thread titles. This adds to the blurring between the threads that impedes navigation a bit.
Some of this might be resolved with the introduction of a darker theme.
Just a few cents, but again great job so far.

erpg

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
There's this weird restriction on avatar sizes. Can't have a wide but short one.

Can that be fixed up, so we can use something of any size? (20px tall and 100 wide, for example)

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if this is the right place for this as it seems to be technical suggestions but I've been thinking about open registration. Would it be possible to remove the member tag? I remember there used to be some attempts to use Junior Member as a term of condescension in that other place, which I don't think would fit here. Also, is the threat of perma-banning for Junior Members going to be lessened slightly? It was a worry for my first 300 posts or whatever previously that I would somehow get permabanned and not be able to contribute. I don't think it should be lifted - maybe depends on the context. I know that the first wave of open registration might not be the right place for this, but maybe in the future?

Apologies if this has already been thought about!

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure someone already mentioned this but having the ability to auto-hide or just show the URL for images would be appreciated!

Bacardi151

Oct 25, 2017
Probably suggested already but here goes..

Adding a separator between stickies and regular posts. Not really a big deal but sometimes hard to discern. Or perhaps a more pronounced way to see the stickied topics.

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
Rudimentary suggestions all mobile:

Font sizes, I'm having a little bit of a hard time reading the current size and would like to make it slightly larger.

Easier reply access. Clicking reply on a poster always quotes them. But hitting quote just copies it. Perhaps make hitting reply just bring you to the reply box, and make quote do the same thing but with the quote box? Or just make an auto bottom of the page button?

Desire:

I would love a profanity filter that users can choose to use, if I can choose I would always choose to have a profanity filter on. And it would make it easier to send links to the site around without worry.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure its been said already but two things for me.

1) Go to top/bottom of page button
2) Refresh button a the bottom.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
100 ppp should definitely be an option.

Make the background color of your own post + your post when you are quoted stand out is another one.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I really got to say... using the site without ads has been an incredible privilege. I know this cannot last, and ads will be introduced, but I beg you to please introduce a paid option with no ads. No other features are necessary. Browsing this forum without interruption or distraction is such a pure experience. Whatever it costs, I'll pay it.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
I was wondering if we could please use a different name for new members, rather than calling them 'Juniors'?

I always thought it sounded a bit patronizing to call them Juniors and it was like an invite for some people to look down on them instead of welcoming them.

How about Newcomer, Resettler or something else?

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Probably suggested already, but it would be nice to have a button that directs you back to the top of the page once you've scrolled to the bottom of a thread (especially useful for mobile browsing).

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday the site worked fine at work, now it's being blocked due to a game filter...ugh.

Any hope at getting a working version for people at work? :)

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I think the option to change the font's colour should disappear, because once the dark theme is introduced, it's gonna be a mess. (Someone chooses a colour that looks fine on the dark theme but makes the post unreadable on the light theme and viceversa)

Also quote notifications don't seem to be working very well? I got quoted and never got the notification

Oct 25, 2017
Really only two things:

* Dark theme! (I know everyone has already said this).

* Consider naming "juniors" something else. Something more welcoming like "newcomer". Someone else brought this up in another thread. But I actually think this would be a good idea to make new members feel more welcome. I always felt Junior was dividing, since it is saying they are a smaller version of you. Whereas a different tag would be about them just being new here, and it could encourage members to show them the ropes and make them feel comfy.

sigma722

Oct 26, 2017
I'm definitely +1 for having forum navigation at the bottom of the page as well.

I'd also like to be able to up the post count per per page (100 posts)

I'd like to see the post like option turned on, awesome way to agree with someone without quoting "." or "this" etc.

looking good so far.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
A "new thread" like bot for Etc and videogames =x
I know this is not something related to the forum but I seriously need it =P

a system for giveaways

images not appearing in quickreply, only in full reply mode

Highlighting posts related to you, like your own posts, quotes and mentions

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Oct 26, 2017
Some things regarding formatting, especially for OTs, that I've noticed so far. Most of this would be fairly easy to tweak.

- Indent tags only apply the margin to the left side. While this would ordinarily make sense in casual use, for OTs in particular it was useful for adding equal padding on both sides of content.

Quote tags:

- Longer content is truncated with a bottom-up gradient fade. If a user wants to include several image thumbnails, or indeed if they have longer text from a quote, this becomes hidden. To me this height truncation would be better if limited to actual re-posts, but not sure if this can be distinguished. Alternatively if it were possible to determine the OP post of each thread such tweaks could perhaps be applied just to that post.

- Forces an italic font style, which limits its usefulness for non-quote visual formatting.

- Backgrounds are a light pink which clashes with almost any other color when paired with OT designs. A light grey would be more neutral for this.

- The container doesn't extend to the full right edge, with significantly unequal margins, making it fine for use in regular post quotes but limiting its application for balanced visual formatting in OTs.​

Edit: for some reason forgot to add one of the most important:

- Images with single line breaks between them have unintended vertical gaps (margins) between the images, which causes images in OTs to not sit flush like they previously could to create seamless OT graphics (typically such images in an OT are either separated for creating linked areas of a visually single image or for organizational purposes). If a user wanted to add gaps intentionally adding back the ability to enter double line breaks between images would be greatly appreciated, while removing the margins between single linebreaks for images.

Last edited:

cajunator

Oct 25, 2017
Cajunville
I would suggest mirroring the top tabs/buttons for different parts of the forum at the bottom, and also implementing a per thread post count so we can do wall of shames and stuff.
Also some sort of button that shoots back to the top of the thread which comes especially handy on mobile..

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I would love for my posts and quotes of them to be marked visibly for me through a colored background.
The second request might be on me, but I don't think quote-to-reveal currently works. If I am wrong about that, someone please let me know.

* Consider naming "juniors" something else. Something more welcoming like "newcomer". Someone else brought this up in another thread. But I actually think this would be a good idea to make new members feel more welcome. I always felt Junior was dividing, since it is saying they are a smaller version of you. Whereas a different tag would be about them just being new here, and it could encourage members to show them the ropes and make them feel comfy.

That is actually a fair point. I would welcome the term "newcomer" being used.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
I would also suggest an option to hide photos and/or gifs until they are manually tapped in the mobile browser, like over at that "other board", for those that don't have "unlimited data" in their plans.

Jambi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Less empty space on the left and right sides of the forum. I like how centered everything is but the actual forum needs to be wider so that there isn't so much empty space. It looks off.

FLUXCapacitor

Oct 25, 2017
So I downloaded the HTML of the front page and post list page and made a static HTML mockup on my server (have robots blocking the url). Made it easier to modify and show off so people could load in in the browser and compare. I did't bother with mobile so it may not look good on that, this is just for desktop view. I made a normal and dark theme for each. Most is just color/font changes, but I made a structure change to the header.

Home Page Light

Home Page Dark

Post Page Light

Post Page Dark

Status
Not open for further replies.