• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

On Forza Monthly, Dan Greenawalt said that while FM7 will continue to see updates, the Motorsport team is now transitioning over to the next FM title and that they'll be letting the community in for the early creative process. They opened up an official Forza discord and will be using that and their forums to help solicit feedback on ideas for the next title.

Intresting. 2020 seems more unlikely also now?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Skipping a year to bring back Project Gotham while we wait for Forza 8 on the new Xbox. Smart.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
There's no way the entirety of Turn 10 has only been working on FM7 updates for the last 18 months. That would have left an awful lot of the team twiddling their thumbs.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2020 seems more likely? because it's definitely not coming out this year

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
So no Forza at all for 2019? That would be nice. The franchise can handle and deserves a one year rest.
Well that was already "known" with the support Forza 7 was given and they said all the team was on it not so long ago. But i dont know a 2020 seems unlikely personally also for me now.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Any chance that we will ever see Project Gotham games re-released digitally with BC? I assume it won't happen due to licensing..

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Skipping a year to bring back Project Gotham while we wait for Forza 8 on the new Xbox. Smart.
This is the perfect time to bring back PGR. I'd be so down for a PGR3+4 remaster collection!

There's no way the entirety of Turn 10 has only been working on FM7 updates for the last 18 months. That would have left an awful lot of the team twiddling their thumbs.
Maybe they've been working on the next iteration of ForzaTech. While it will be used to power Forza Motorsport 8, they could technically get away with saying that it's separate from the development of FM8.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017

This. I believe that the majority of the team has been on the next game with a percentage of them using F7 as testing grounds for stuff that will be in the next game. I am glad they continue to support and update F7 as that was not the case for past titles. The only negative is that we never got more tracks for F7. Got a shit ton of new cars, but no new tracks. I am ok with them giving the Motorsport a year off, Forza 8 needs to be stellar and given the extra year it should be.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
On stream they said usually they shipped a Forza game and instantly after launch they started concept for the next Forza game.
Thats now starting. Over 1 year after release.

ronabs

Mar 15, 2018
Maybe they took their time to work on a new/improved engine for the next generation, similar to 343's Slipspace.

Andrei Rublev

Jun 8, 2018
Forza 8 definitely needs the proper development time. I haven't genuinely cared about a Forza Motorsport title on the Xbox One. 5 and 6 were massive disappointments to me, and I never bothered to purchase 7 (I'm holding out for a Game Pass release).

I would genuinely prefer them to have an actual campaign. I miss having to start with very slow cars and work my way up to faster cars. Also, I could use with WAY more track variety. Maybe it's because I'm not a huge racing enthusiast, but having the same tracks every single game got very stale and often gave the impression that I was playing the same game over and over again. This only got worse with the release of Forza Horizon, which places a huge emphasis on the location and environment.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
So are they skipping a year and saving FM 8 for the Gen 9 Xbox launch? That might be a good idea.
Like i said if they are starting now with concept etc and community involvement to shape it i doubt now its 2020 also. I mean we "knew" we were not getting a FM this year already.
But for me 2020 seems abit more unlikely also now.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
It's Forza Street for 2019. Apparently the leak from a couple days ago didn't reach this forum ?
Before you get excited: it's a mobile game.

It's been known for a while FM would skip 2019, but I find it hard to believe T10 has just been working on FM updates for the past 14 months.
They probably phrased it as not working on FM8, as in, the next FM won't have an 8 in the title.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
VR seems like the next logical step for the series. So a longer dev time would be needed.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
It's Forza Street for 2019. Apparently the leak from a couple days ago didn't reach this forum ?

It's been known for a while FM would skip 2019, but I find it hard to believe T10 has just been working on FM updates for the past 14 months.
They probably phrased it as not working on FM8, as in, the next FM won't have an 8 in the title.

Not really. They said they are now shifting the focus of the team to the next Forza title.

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
I expect the next Forza Motorsport to launch with the next gen Xbox in 2020.
I would imagine the team has been doing alot of engineering work on ForzaTech in the background to make it work for the new hardware.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
343i are building tech for the future of Halo, I assume the same thing is going on at Turn10. No Forza this year would be good for the franchise imo. Let it bake longer and I'm sure the next version will make a much bigger impact then the previous 3 iterations

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
that url leak of forza street was most likely just remnants of the Miami Street project before the name change. Rumors were, it was using the Forza name at first. I wouldn't expect to see much from that.

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I miss having to start with very slow cars and work my way up to faster cars. Also, I could use with WAY more track variety. Maybe it's because I'm not a huge racing enthusiast, but having the same tracks every single game got very stale and often gave the impression that I was playing the same game over and over again. This only got worse with the release of Forza Horizon, which places a huge emphasis on the location and environment.
Forza 6 had that, but yeah, track variety really sucks in FM especially since there are so many American tracks and these suck in general.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
Maybe they took their time to work on a new/improved engine for the next generation, similar to 343's Slipspace.
They've definitely been doing a bunch of work on ForzaTech, some of which has already made its way into FM7 (force feedback, collisions, traction) and some of which they reiterated today are still coming later for FM7 (AI overhaul, race regulations). All these things will only help the next FM.

Aug 26, 2018
Like i said if they are starting now with concept etc and community involvement to shape it i doubt now its 2020 also. I mean we "knew" we were not getting a FM this year already.
But for me 2020 seems abit more unlikely also now.

I agree with you.

Hope FM8 is 2021, Forza Horizon is a better launch title according to me because its a console seller unlike FM8, its open world, its more diverse ( weathers, landscapes, terrain) and as beautiful if not more than FM7.

I think FH5 in 2020 with Japan and improved seasons will sell a lot of consoles in Europe.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
i'd just like to point out this is the first racing series i think to hit 8, which is the first number that looks like a race track, so i hope they incorporate that into the logo

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
If they're taking extra time on the next one, it'd be nice for FM7 to come to Game Pass before the end of the year. I bought it on disc already, but it's the one missing entry that I find myself always hoping will show up so that I can play it anywhere.

Oct 25, 2017
FH and FM with 3YR dev time.

FH5 in 2021
FM8 in 2022

And that extra time they can make ForzaTech even better.
Also i miss the singleplayer with proper characters... Do it FH5 :)
Please be JAPAN!!!

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
i'd just like to point out this is the first racing series i think to hit 8, which is the first number that looks like a race track, so i hope they incorporate that into the logo
220px-MarioKart8Boxart.jpg

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why people think Horizon will be before a new FM. If Forzatech changes are coming that influences Horizon also.
FH4 is getting alot of support also like FM7 and i think a Horizon "break" doesnt hurt the series also. And Playground studio has now a second studio now wich maybe has some influence also with people moving arround.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Forza is on a ~2 year cycle. Forza 8 can easily make it for Scarlett's launch in Q4 2020. This moves Horizon 4 to 2021 or a ~3 year development.

Otherwise, we won't see Forza 8 until 2021, and that would mean Horizon 4 has to be 2022, and I don't know why Playground would spend 4 years on H4.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. They said they are now shifting the focus of the team to the next Forza title.
The next Forza is definitely coming with the launch of the nextbox. Even if they are starting right now, it is still within there usual timeline. And like others have said, they most certainly have not just been working on F7 alone. That makes no logical sense at all.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
The next Forza is definitely coming with the launch of the nextbox. Even if they are starting right now, it is still within there usual timeline. And like others have said, they most certainly have not just been working on F7 alone. That makes no logical sense at all.
Well they say they want to next FM to be the next step for the franchise. So i doubt even less time then usual will bring that.
They said they are starting concept now instead of usual right away after launch. So its now already 1.5 years after FM7 and they want to make the next step for the game. I doubt a 2020 is then realistic.

Aug 26, 2018
Not sure why people think Horizon will be before a new FM. If Forzatech changes are coming that influences Horizon also.
FH4 is getting alot of support also like FM7 and i think a Horizon "break" doesnt hurt the series also. And Playground studio has now a second studio now wich maybe has some influence also with people moving arround.

My concern is 1 game Halo Infinite is not enough to carry the Next gen especially when they need a headstart especially in Europe and what better way than FH5, a big console seller to kickstart that journey.

No one complained that FH4 was not a good looking game, so I don't see why FH5 won't be a gorgeous looking game with the existing tech, the only area it is not up there is RTX and I bet they can do it with the current engine, not to forget they have been working on that RPG(Fable?) and would have been working/updating their engine which bodes well for FH5.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
Well they say they want to next FM to be the next step for the franchise. So i doubt even less time then usual will bring that.
They said they are starting concept now instead of usual right away after launch. So its now already 1.5 years after FM7 and they want to make the next step for the game. I doubt a 2020 is then realistic.
And yet they were able to do all of that within the usual timeline when transitioning from the 360 to the x1. I fully believe the next FM will launch alongside the nextbox.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
My concern is 1 game Halo Infinite is not enough to carry the Next gen especially when they need a headstart especially in Europe and what better way than FH5, a big console seller to kickstart that journey.

No one complained that FH4 was not a good looking game, so I don't see why FH5 won't be a gorgeous looking game with the existing tech, the only area it is not up there is RTX and I bet they can do it with the current engine, not to forget they have been working on that RPG(Fable?) and would have been working/updating their engine which bodes well for FH5.
I dont know. Think Ninja Theory their game can be a next gen launch game also. Next to Halo.

And yet they were able to do all of that within the usual timeline when transitioning from the 360 to the x1. I fully believe the next FM will launch alongside the nextbox.

But FM5 was notorious for lacking content and being less then then Forza 4?
And FM4 didnt get the support FM7 is getting now with alot of the team on the game instead of instant switching after launch.

Aug 26, 2018
I dont know. Think Ninja Theory their game can be a next gen launch game also. Next to Halo.

I don't know, seems like Ninja Theory's Bleeding Edge has been long time in the making and 2020 looks bone dry till the console launch, at the most its Q1 2020.

Phil loves Forza and its been there with Xbox One, 1X launches. So, I definitely think one of the Forza titles will be alongside Halo as a launch title, my wish is FH5 since they can just play around more with the Seasons & change location and it would look much fresher, they also have a dedicated team to FH too which should mean they are already working on the next FH title.

Oct 25, 2017
2020 Next Xbox Launch Titles?

- Halo Infinite
- Ninja Theory Game
- Killer Instinct 2
- Age of Empires 4

2021 Second Year Titles?

- Forza Horizon 5
- Obsidian Game
- MSGP Game
- Rare Game

2022 Third Year Titles?

- Forza Motorsport 8
- InXile Game
- MSGP Game
- Fable

Also we have Coalition, Undead Labs, Compulsion, Initiative, MSGP and new acquisition studios?

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
And they have just had an extra year?
Yes. Dont think a extra year is gonna be enough. Of they are just starting now and are building the game with the community like they said. Combine that with they want to future proof Forza Motorsport i dont think we see it in 2020 also. MS also said big part of the new studios is that the main games have more breathing room also and they are less relying on them.

MattHeus

Mar 2, 2019
I'm pretty sure that the next Forza is a Scarlett launch title. I am just not sure about what we will see first FH5 or FM8...

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Dont think a extra year is gonna be enough. Of they are just starting now and are building the game with the community like they said. Combine that with they want to future proof Forza Motorsport i dont think we see it in 2020 also. MS also said big part of the new studios is that the main games have more breathing room also and they are less relying on them.
I think its enough time. This is an incredibly efficient team. And while its true that MS wants to give its studios breathing room, they will still have a timeline/deadline to meet. I fully expect FM8 and Halo Infinite to launch alongside the nextbox.