TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, don't judge, I used to read a LOT of gaming magazines as a kid. Found a box full of em at my parent's house and was perusing some when I noticed this little quote from the EGM 1999 buyer's guide. The guide has their review scores for basically every game ever, with a tiny sentence blurb about each. I randomly opened it to Cybermorph for the 3D0 and saw:
aLjemN8.jpg

Which seems like an obvious dig at the famous GameFAN cybermorph preview, which I also found in that box

EP0P9wG.jpg

I don't think I would've ever noticed this at the time, but now knowing what we know about the gamefan article it seems too funny not to be intentional. I'm sure as industry contemporaries the story had gotten around to EGM staff by that point.

EDIT: FFS imgur turned both images sideways, uh. I'll try to fix.

OP
OP
TheYanger

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
LOL was the LSD story that well known at that point though??
Certainly not to the public, but I mean, this is like 4 years later in the same industry, just like how we as the public might not know who sucks in hollywood but the big names in the biz sure do, I would not be shocked if it was something that had been passed around by someone who used to be an editor at GF

And yeah, maybe this isn't super cool thread worthy, but I laughed and I know nobody outside of Era that I talk to will ever even get it.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it. How is that a dig at GF? Because they ran a cover story for a mediocre game? Every gaming magazine that ever existed is guilty of that at some point or other.

OP
OP
TheYanger

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it. How is that a dig at GF? Because they ran a cover story for a mediocre game? Every gaming magazine that ever existed is guilty of that at some point or other.
I'd have to find it now, but it was an old internet post explaining the reasoning. Their cover story wasn't just 'gave some coverage to a bad game' - it's literally the EIC just circle jerking about how Cybermorph is LITERALLY the greatest achievement humankind has witnessed for like 6 pages. So, the story TL;DR is that someone spiked their drinks with LSD or something and he was tripping balls the entire time.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
They gave it like a 9.0/10 or something where the text was unbelievably hyperbolic and the story goes that someone at the Gamefan offices slipped LSD into the reviewer's coffee before he started playing it.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
So, don't judge, I used to read a LOT of gaming magazines as a kid.
I'm judging you so hard, you nerd. Once I'm done stuffing you in a locker, I'm gonna lean back and put my feet up on my desk during class, because that's what us cool bullies do here at ResetEra, the site that hates media for nerds.

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
Fun GF article here.

Another story involves drinks being spiked with acid – are these tales simply exaggerated or did they actually happen? Was drug-taking commonplace on the magazine?

Mollie L Patterson:
The acid-spiked coffee definitely happened, but it was before my time. I was present for drug use in the office, but only to the extent that some of the guys would go up on the roof – we had access to it from part of our office – and smoke pot sometimes in the evening. Beyond that, though, I never myself saw any heavier drug use. Really, the biggest violation I knew of along those lines was one of the staff would constantly smoke cigarettes in their office, which was (and obviously still is) illegal in California.

Link to scans of the Cybermorph review.

GF also published this racist rant:

C-bIBCsUQAIcMFM.jpg