• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Watch the documentary Let Ther be Light(1946) by John Huston. It is one of the first documentaries that focus on the soldiers in World War II going home. Most people believe that people just came back and went back to their normal lives but that is not true. Also, this documentary was suppressed by the U.S government and was not allowed to be released until the 1980s.

There is also He has Seen War by the people behind Band of Brothers and the Pacific who made a documentary on reintegrating into civilian life.

That first documentary is fascinating. No less because it was done by Huston. I'm sort of gob smacked that the army even allowed to to be filmed at the time nevermind it wasn't released. Harrowing stuff. I've read a fair deal about both wars and the mental trauma of WWII soldiers is woefully underrepresented. Thank you very much for posting this

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Reminds me of the film Come and See where the kid goes from bright-eyed to looking like 90 years old by the end:

MV5BY2NkNzY4NjEtYWJiMC00MzRkLTkxYTAtOGJiYWFjMTMzZTFlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg3MTIwODI@._V1_.jpg

image-w1280-793x446.jpg

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Watch the documentary Let Ther be Light(1946) by John Huston. It is one of the first documentaries that focus on the soldiers in World War II going home. Most people believe that people just came back and went back to their normal lives but that is not true. Also, this documentary was suppressed by the U.S government and was not allowed to be released until the 1980s.

There is also He has Seen War by the people behind Band of Brothers and the Pacific who made a documentary on reintegrating into civilian life.

Thank you for these. I watched a couple minutes of the first one, I'll plan on finishing it here later.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Can't imagine what WWII was like let alone WWI. So many people just trying out war crimes for fun cuz they could. So many young people from every corner of the earth just thrown into this inhumane meat grinder.

Every mother fucking right winger that jokes about or really believes in acceleration towards another civil war or world war...wish we had time machines just so we could throw them back to those days so they can take the place of the thousands of bright young stars we lost.

Jun 19, 2020
War was hell.
My Grandfather fought in WW2. I hear lots of stories from him but the strangest was about a Soldier that was stationed with him and died in a bomb attack while holding something with the name of my Grandfather in his hands. He was then burried with my Grandfathers name. We visited the grave together when I was a kid.

And this happened in my hometown:

WWII. The battle for Cologne. Tank duel at the cathedral, March 06, 1945. The US army, 3rd AD, enters Cologne. Chronic and analytical presentation of the famous tank duel at the Cologne cathedral. See the fascinating original film with descriptions. 10 minutes of interesting film scenes show the destruction of a Sherman tank, the destruction of a Panther tank and the escaping crew members. 5 presentation parts show different analyses. Attention: Original film scenes show seriously injured persons. May no be suitable for sensitive people.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Damn, I can't tell what did more damage to him, the battlefield or being a pow in camps run by nazi germany. Either way, it looks as if part of him died somewhere along the way.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I believe this doc was the inspiration for the early scenes of PT Andersons The Master

EDIT:

This one intended for troops being sent to occupy Germany is interesting as it for the most part wasn't actually shown (a number of senior officers felt it was inappropriate) - it's absolutely scathing of the German people's involvement in the war and the idea that they were "led astray" by a few bad people.

You might find this video interesting.

www.youtube.com

Was Every German Soldier Bad? - A Response

Thank you for watching, folks! =Support me via= ► Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/join/ThreeArrows? ► TipJar: https:///threearrows ► Merch: https:/...

Last edited:

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Off story, but similar. Right after 9/11, there was a young kid that would come in my bank when I was a teller, he signed up right after he turned 18. He was front line infantry, and when he came back, he was a completely different person. Didn't talk, stared right through you, ended up taking his own life. The eyes on the right are exactly how his were.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I believe this doc was the inspiration for the early scenes of PT Andersons The Master

EDIT:

You might find this video interesting.

www.youtube.com

Was Every German Soldier Bad? - A Response

Thank you for watching, folks! =Support me via= ► Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/join/ThreeArrows? ► TipJar: https:///threearrows ► Merch: https:/...

Thanks, will give this a watch - Three Arrows' videos are always good.

Oct 27, 2017
Everytime I think of idiots now a day that want a war with anyone they don't think that they could die any second. Or having every person they became "brothers" with die on mass in a blink of an eye. War is not glory, it isn't victory, it isn't "winning". It's just a massive, pointless waste of life.

We have a major problem with this at the moment in Britain. Significant chunks of people screaming about sovereignty or desecrating the memory of the war dead to peddle their nationalist garbage.

People who are the quickest to bring up the war in an attempt to further their opinions on Brexit, nationalism, racism etc, are the absolute first who should be showing respect to the dead by keeping their names out of their damn mouths.

Oct 28, 2017

This is incredible