• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 7878

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hello! Let's talk fountain pens (and given we're a broad church here, other writing implements like ballpoints (!), rollerballs (?), and even pencils (ick). Mainly though, let's talk fountain pens, and also notebooks!, and also, the best ink.

Here's most of my collection, save for the recent purchases and ones that are in my bag - a mix of Waterman Experts, TWSBIs and various things. Plus a Pelikan M800, which is the daddy of the set.

IMG_20171023_214820.jpg

And of course, you can't have decent pens without decent inks, and notebooks. Here's a couple of recommendations for you;

Notebooks - there can be only one - the Rhodia Webnotebook, A5, dot grid, in orange (orange so the people at work think you are carrying your actuarial tables with your for extra kudos)

webnotebooks_desk_big.jpg

And ink - well, how long is a piece of string. The world is your oyster here, but I'm always a massive fan of Diamine Grape - a lovely lovely very dark purple. Here's a sample from the Goulet Pen Company that I nicked off the web.

8ed0f229-fd26-4578-b511-899532155fcd

So, fellow pen / paper / ink nerds, show me what you got!

SixtyTwoMike

Oct 26, 2017
Great OT. I only really lurked in the GAF thread but must admit the 2K16 version got me to briefly spend too much money on pens and jnk and paper, and I've negelected it since the initial excitement, including my Hobonichi!

Oct 27, 2017
great to see you there ! One of my favorite thread on the other side.
For non-american resetters ("resetters" ? is that a thing ?), and more precisely french ones, as I am not sure about their shipping capabilities, this is one of the best and affordable notebooks brands over there: http://en.calepino.fr/s/20259_notebooks

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yesss, I'm in. I've been using FPs since college (5 years ago). Started with the Lamy Safari (but I hate that triangle grip) and went over to Pilot land. Custom 74, then 742 (treat yoself). Now I'm mostly using a Lamy 2000. That is really GOAT. I tend to sell my pens as I add more to the collection because I don't like to rotate much.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
This is my kind of thread! I don't know a lot about notebooks but I collect 'em when I travel atound as a memento. I've been keeping multiple diarties for a few years now, using a Hobonichi and a Shinola Detroit book. I use different pens but would love some recommendations for a fountain pen. I really don't know much about them. I do know I hate it when my pen "grinds" to the [a[er, as if there is to much traction you know?

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
I have a Pilot Metropolitan, a low-cost Zebra V-301, and a Pilot Plumix. I am not crazy about the Plumix being transparent, but I bought it for its low-cost, and its medium italic nib. The Metropolitan is my everyday pen, and I am happy with it.

In case you wanted one, here it is on Amazon for less than $10.

OP
OP

Deleted member 7878

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another good (but a wee bit more expensive) starter pen is the Twsbi Eco. (economically friendly rather than ecologically). A relatively low cost demonstrator (transparent) fountain pen, good smooth nib, holds a lot of ink. Good heft to it too. Heft is important.

TWSBI Eco Turquoise Stylus f – Fountain Pen https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074H63NF1/?tag=e100-21

You can see Ohma above has one. Maybe they'll weigh in with thoughts too. You can see one of my Eco's in the OP, 9th from left, lime green cap and end. A lot of pen for your money.

Nezumi

Oct 25, 2017
Hessen, Germany
Ah, I was wondering when this thread showed up. I can second the recommendation for the TWSBY eco. Though my favorite pen is probably the Pilot Prera, it's a bit smaller and lighter then the Metropolitan which is more to my taste.

Is anyone making a Hobonichi thread?

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
So glad to see this thread. Hello fellow writing instrument lovers. My daily workhorse for years has been the Lamy 2000 EF and F one for red and one for black inks. Rhodia dot and lined pads have been my go to paper for ages. What does everyone use? Are you all writing with fountain pens on a daily basis? Do you feel like an oddball when you pull your pen out and people just stare at you because why would a person in this day and age use a fountain pen?

I look forward to seeing this thread expand.

OP
OP

Deleted member 7878

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I was wondering when this thread showed up. I can second the recommendation for the TWSBY eco. Though my favorite pen is probably the Pilot Prera, it's a bit smaller and lighter then the Metropolitan which is more to my taste.

Is anyone making a Hobonichi thread?

I had thought this OT would cover pens / paper / ink. I'm easy if you want to chat about Hobonichi in here, I can't imagine it's going to be massively busy!

So glad to see this thread. Hello fellow writing instrument lovers. My daily workhorse for years has been the Lamy 2000 EF and F one for red and one for black inks. Rhodia dot and lined pads have been my go to paper for ages. What does everyone use? Are you all writing with fountain pens on a daily basis? Do you feel like an oddball when you pull your pen out and people just stare at you because why would a person in this day and age use a fountain pen?

I look forward to seeing this thread expand.

My go to is the Waterman Expert - I have (I think) 8 of them. Lovely classic fountain pen. Very partial to all things TWSBI as well, though they do have a tendency to break - I've had a 700 and a 580RB break on me over the past couple of years. Brittle plastic or something. I'm hoping they have ironed these issues out - though at the price of them, I'm not fussed massively.

I've yet to find a better notebook than the Rhodia - whatever I try, nothing holds the ink on the paper so well, or is such a joy to write on. Moleskine in particular can GTF, very poor for a fountain pen.

I work in financial services, so there's a few people who have fountain pens, but mostly senior bods with a Mont Blanc that they've been bought as a present. Very very few other people rock up with a fountain pen, it's a shame. We need to spread the love!

Nezumi

Oct 25, 2017
Hessen, Germany
I had thought this OT would cover pens / paper / ink. I'm easy if you want to chat about Hobonichi in here, I can't imagine it's going to be massively busy!

Yeah, I guess it makes sense to just consider this the stationary enthusiast thread. I almost bought a rhodia notebook today, but I had already spend a shit ton of money on stickers and washi tape that I couldn't justify it since I also picked up my Hobonichi and that already comes with the most amazing paper ever.

I also found a used Instax mini printer for under 50 euro. Today was a good day ^^

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I guess it makes sense to just consider this the stationary enthusiast thread. I almost bought a rhodia notebook today, but I had already spend a shit ton of money on stickers and washi tape that I couldn't justify it since I also picked up my Hobonichi and that already comes with the most amazing paper ever.

I also found a used Instax mini printer for under 50 euro. Today was a good day ^^

Off-topic: I bought my daughter an Instax 9 camera for her birthday, and she loved it. In fact, all of the kids there were instantly envious, and all were clamoring to get their photo taken. I had to make sure that she knows that she can't go nuts taking photos willy-nilly as each photo costs money.

dodosaurus

Oct 27, 2017
The Sea
Great to see this thread back. Currently using a 2 euro shitty fountain pen but i'm going to get either a pilot metro politan or lamy safari. Only problem is that only the metro is compatible with standerd ink cartridges in Europe, and i don't want to commit to the money hole of ink bottles... yet. But i did manage to get a habonici before they sold out. so i already have good paper.

OP
OP

Deleted member 7878

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great to see this thread back. Currently using a 2 euro shitty fountain pen but i'm going to get either a pilot metro politan or lamy safari. Only problem is that only the metro is compatible with standerd ink cartridges in Europe, and i don't want to commit to the money hole of ink bottles... yet. But i did manage to get a habonici before they sold out. so i already have good paper.

The money hole of ink bottles is 1/3 of the fun. You knows it.

I bought a Pilot Metropolitan Retro Pop today, in purple. Impulse buy in a pen shop in York (I was visiting for the day on business).

IMG_20171031_145646.jpg

Turns out they come in a range of colours. The red in particular looks good as well!

82754.jpg

Barls

Oct 25, 2017
I've had fun playing around with different cheap fountain pens and have a Metropolitan and Safari at work.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to improve my garbage penmanship?

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017

I bought a Pilot Metropolitan Retro Pop today, in purple. Impulse buy in a pen shop in York (I was visiting for the day on business).

IMG_20171031_145646.jpg

Turns out they come in a range of colours. The red in particular looks good as well!

82754.jpg

Damn, that purple is beautiful! I have the red, and orange, but am a bit disappointed in that the orange has more gold in it than I like.

I've had fun playing around with different cheap fountain pens and have a Metropolitan and Safari at work.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to improve my garbage penmanship?

I will second this question. How does one improve penmanship?

dodosaurus

Oct 27, 2017
The Sea

I know how fun the bottled ink is but i don't need a extra money hole right now. Even if I reeeeeally need it though.

The retropops look so good together. I was thinking about getting boring grey houndstooth but this makes me think. I guess i wil have to see them in person to decide.

To the people trying to improve handwriting, write a lot and do it slowly to get the hand movement down. Look for example sheets or at other peoples writing if you don't like the shape of your letters, but concistancy and spacing helps a lot and doesn't get affected by the lettershape.

Nezumi

Oct 25, 2017
Hessen, Germany
out they come in a range of colours. The red in particular looks good as well!

I have the purple one as well plus the light green one, from an aesthetic point those are probably my favorite pens in my collection, but like I mentioned earlier I just find them a bit to heavy to use regularly, which is a shame really, they look so damn good.

Off-topic: I bought my daughter an Instax 9 camera for her birthday, and she loved it. In fact, all of the kids there were instantly envious, and all were clamoring to get their photo taken. I had to make sure that she knows that she can't go nuts taking photos willy-nilly as each photo costs money.

haha, yeah I have one of those as well but as much as I love it I found taking pictures with it incredible difficult so I'm glad I have the printer now. But yeah the pictures are super expensive. I happen to have one, where my uncle decided it was funny to photobomb it and you can see the look of ' God damnit it asshole, you just made me waste a dollar' on my face in the background rather well :D

Last edited:

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I'm still deciding on my Pilot Metropolitan upgrade. I like a fine nib, and I want to stick with one of the Japanese brands/models costing between $100 and $200.

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I found this thread again!

I only got super into FP this year. I'm addicted to getting more pens and ink. I buy exclusively entry level pens though. I would need to write with one of the more expensive pens before buying it and that's not happening any time soon. Even among entry models, I have several I don't use because I don't like they way they write. Spending $100+ on a pen only to find out I don't like it D: My daily carries are TWSBI Eco, Pilot Kakuno, and Lamy Safari.

If Hobonichi talk is in here, I got the Cousin for next year because I thought the A6 was too small and now I'm wondering what the heck I can do in every page. Hahaha *never satisfied*

And a question: I don't have a black bottle of ink. Between Aurora black and Noodler's Heart of Darkness, which one do you prefer using?

Nezumi

Oct 25, 2017
Hessen, Germany
If Hobonichi talk is in here, I got the Cousin for next year because I thought the A6 was too small and now I'm wondering what the heck I can do in every page. Hahaha *never satisfied*

Same here. Though I already love the weekly pages in the cousin that aren't in the original planer, because I will use those as my actual schedule, which leaves the daily pages to be used purely for creative journal purposes. That alone makes the swap absolutely worth it in my opinion,

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Am in. I roll with my lamy 2000 and am looking for some cool ink to use. I use diamine ink as it's great quality and fairly well priced. However think something new is in order.

Monodi

Oct 27, 2017
Sonoran Desert
So I have been getting a lot into ink recently, I started to explore a bit on using a nib. I feel like I could get into it easily, but also I think I may have screwed a bit with it as I forgot to clean it after use, so I am interested on the maintenance I am supposed to give them.

Also I want to know how you feel about using corrector liquid to cover up drawing mistakes.

Here are some of my tools. (Ignore the scattered pesos)

I learned first-hand that China Ink is very diluted and has more of a watercolor effect, so the white well is garbo for me now. I wanna find some good white India ink, ideally something able to replace Liquid Paper for fixing stuff.

If y'all interested here's a drawing I just finished.

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
So I have been getting a lot into ink recently, I started to explore a bit on using a nib. I feel like I could get into it easily, but also I think I may have screwed a bit with it as I forgot to clean it after use, so I am interested on the maintenance I am supposed to give them.

Also I want to know how you feel about using corrector liquid to cover up drawing mistakes.

Here are some of my tools. (Ignore the scattered pesos)

I learned first-hand that China Ink is very diluted and has more of a watercolor effect, so the white well is garbo for me now. I wanna find some good white India ink, ideally something able to replace Liquid Paper for fixing stuff.

If y'all interested here's a drawing I just finished.

Am not too sure if I have any advice but I think your drawings are great.

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Iroshizuku Inks are great. My personal favorites are Fuyu-Shogun a wonderful light gray and Chiku-Rin my favorite green ink ever, they are all great though to be honest.
Another favorite is Sailor Yama-dori as a blue-greenish shade.

Am thinking green. I have deep dark blue and deep dark green from diamine, plus the lammy black but I feel the need for something more colourful but can also be used for work.

OP
OP

Deleted member 7878

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am thinking green. I have deep dark blue and deep dark green from diamine, plus the lammy black but I feel the need for something more colourful but can also be used for work.

Diamine Apple Glory is a good shout. Bit bright though, if that bothers you.

Diamine Emerald Green is also lovely, and darker (maybe more work-suitable?)

I'm using this a lot at work just now, it's clearly not green, but it is superb!

64c1f8ac-66aa-4526-8132-d2552db408a0

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in Canada. It's like $30+ with shipping.

I mean I can get it if I want to splurge, but I already have 3 bottles of ink at home that will take me years to use up :D

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I have a lifetime's worth of ink bottles too. I use a lot of ink so I've gone through several bottles but my buying pace outweighs it haha. Most of my inks are from Diamine. They're not as flashy as the other famous brands but they work really well and the smaller bottles are affordable. I also have several Iroshizuku bottles, which are the prettiest in looks and color. Those are displayed like the nerd I am lol The other major brands are spread out through one or two bottles each.

There's too many pretty inks! I just bought a bunch of samples too. Usually I end up wanting to get a bottle of half the samples I get. >>; Of course, budget gets in the way of that particular spending spree lol

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
They are both great pens. Have you had a chance to get your hands on a Lamy 2000 before? I have the steel version and it's really beautiful, but it's so heavy that it's not one I'll use daily. I love how the metal body looks but I really should have gotten the black one.

I haven't tried either one, but a friend of mine does own the 2000, so I'll have to try it out if I get around to seeing him soon. Were I to get one, I'd go with the Makrolon version (probably extra fine?).

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't tried either one, but a friend of mine does own the 2000, so I'll have to try it out if I get around to seeing him soon. Were I to get one, I'd go with the Makrolon version (probably extra fine?).

Yes the makrolon one feels great to use. It's just the one that is a completely metal body that has the weight issue, so you're good :)

Oh my goodness, that is a beautiful pen!

I love it so much. It's a purchase I wavered over for ages, thinking it was too luxurious. And then I realized, hey. It's something beautiful that I can use every day and will add that little bit of pleasure. Vanishing points are great to keep in my bag or use at work, I find. It costs less than people might spend on a watch or jewelry, neither of which I indulge in (rationalizations, haha). No regrets! I have a lot of pens and rotate them in and out of use, but this one I have full of ink all the time.

I've been giving my husband very unsubtle hints about how this would be the perfect gift for me yet he refuses to get me anything stationary related because apparently I already have "enough stuff" ;(

It's so hard when you love stationery. I have a problem where the box I keep my ink bottles in is... let's say it's a bit overloaded. So I've ruled that I'm not allowed to purchase any more.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I love it so much. It's a purchase I wavered over for ages, thinking it was too luxurious. And then I realized, hey. It's something beautiful that I can use every day and will add that little bit of pleasure. Vanishing points are great to keep in my bag or use at work, I find. It costs less than people might spend on a watch or jewelry, neither of which I indulge in (rationalizations, haha). No regrets! I have a lot of pens and rotate them in and out of use, but this one I have full of ink all the time.

How do you feel about the clip being at the writing side of the pen? That's my only hesitation right now, as I kind of wrap my fingers around my Pilot Metropolitan—but that pen is really narrow, so I don't know if I'd hold a VP that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.